PDA

View Full Version : im bad at using the scroll saw

Eoin Ryans
02-12-2013, 6:10 PM
hi all

im making a plaque from one inch thick spanish chestnut.it will have a message on it i have routed out the letters using templates. now i am trying to cut out letters on the scroll saw from 3 mm thick walnut veneer.

i am having trouble doin this successfully, my letters edges are wavy, and the corners are awful.

does anybody have any tips for me to get the letters good enough so they will inlay correctly after some sanding?

thanks

glenn bradley
02-12-2013, 6:16 PM
Is the irregularity of the edges due to the saw vibrating? If the saw is smooth and it is just your aim that needs work, resaw some scrap into this slabs and practice, practice, practice. I know that is not much of a short term help but, applies none the less. If the saw is vibrating, knowing the make and model could help folks recommend methods of mitigating that.

Eoin Ryans
02-12-2013, 6:57 PM
thanks , its a cheap model called sip. im over in ireland!

although i cant just blame the saw, will just have to put in more practise i guess!

ken masoumi
02-12-2013, 7:07 PM
May be your blade is the wrong type ,I suggest you contact Mike'workshop.com and tell him exactly what your problem is and I can assure you he'll recommend the most suitable blade for your project,I personally like his #3 or #5 Penguin silver reverse but all Flying Dutchman blades are top quality.
I also wonder if your blade tension is proper? it could be one reason you have wavy cuts,also try positioning you seat more toward the right of the scroll saw to get a more control on cutting straight.

Other than that as others have told me when I started,practice every day and get to know how your saw cuts.

Jim Finn
02-12-2013, 7:18 PM
do a search for "double bevel inlay" and you will find a very easy method to do what you want.

Larry Frank
02-12-2013, 7:59 PM
Unfortunately, it is practice and more practice. I use a magnifying lamp and go very slowly. You can not rush.