PDA

View Full Version : Strange little plane

steven c newman
02-12-2013, 4:51 PM
Bought a "Two-fer" while out rust hunting. The one planes was for parts (more about THAT later) the other?254190is that black lever capped one in front.:eek: It is a #3 size. It has a thick, tapered iron. It has a solid steel, NOT brass adjuster wheel. Brass nuts on the handle bolts, ala Stanley. A look at the torn down parts254191254192 The iron is stamped (in script, no less) as Hibbards True value. Tote was broken in two, not a biggie, i do have some glue and a clamp, or two. Since a Hibbards true Value started to offer a "Private Label" hand tool line back in 1932, would this be one of them:confused:

Anyway, got the tote repaired, and awaiting a finish, iron is sharp, again. Tried it out on some Oak edge grain.254193Now, all I have to do is add a finish to the totes?

As for that "parts plane" I have a Parplus $5, with a cambered iron. The iron in the "parts Plane" is a perfect fit. I intend to leave the PP iron square across. I can then switch from cambered to square cut on either plane. Be it a size 4, or a size 5. Even the lever caps match. two planes= $25.00??? :eek:

steven c newman
02-12-2013, 6:47 PM
This is the Parplus#5 I will trade irons on.254206 Just an 8" radius camber to the iron. Used to rough smooth wood. I was using it to set the taper on a leg awhile back. 13.5" long. 254207The Worth #4 has the same style of chipbreaker, and iron, could be a direct swap. Say for a #4 sized plane with a staright OR cambered iron, or switch to the longer #5 body. Even the lever caps are the same.

As for that Worth #4254208Looks like it will do a job. Does not chatter in the cut, iron takes a nice sharp edge. The only PITA is those frog bolts (GRRRRrrr!) Ever try to replace one? I did lose one bolt, but a spare was available. Once the "Toad' was set i tightened all the bolts down tight. Those "blond" handles need a coloured finish, of some sort......

steven c newman
02-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Hibbards True Value????Who made these planes?? I know all about Worth and their line of stuff. The Dunlap #3 i also refurbbed has a "Made in WEst Germany" stamped iron. The Hibbards iron is very thick, about 0.170" at the cutting edge. It tapers away though to about a normal thickness near the end. Not sure, but I think the Worth Plane, and the PARPLUS #5 are related, same builder, maybe??

Suggestions on those bare wood handles? BLO?? Varnish & Stain?? Re-paint the Dunlap #3 handles a bright red, to refresh them, or just the BLO??

Starting to get a regular "Skid Row" of planes. Just as well, when one lives above a concrete floor.254242

steven c newman
02-15-2013, 8:52 AM
I think I have that Hibbards plane about done254370 This is after a coat of BLO. Had some bad luck with another plane. Snapped the bolt off in the base casting. Won't back out. Most of the parts will go up for sale as a"parts Plane'. I will keep the tote , though254371it is the one in front. An older Union plane , #4G. Tote did not come with the Union plane, though. It does fit real nicely on the Hibbards plane, though. 254372 I might have the iron sharpened back up, at least it will make a shaving. Just a $12.50 plane...