PDA

View Full Version : Corian and wood

Jeff Welch
02-12-2013, 1:55 PM
I am starting to make burial urns for my parents. Hopefully they will not be needed for a long ,long time.

I am planning on segmenting walnut and possibly using corian for accent pieces, maybe a cross.

Has anyone used corian in a segment?

And will there be problems with the wood exspansion and contraction popping the glue line between the wood and the

corian?

Another ? is can I use wood glue on the wood and use 2 part epoxy on the corian to wood joints?

Thanks for any input

Quinn McCarthy
02-12-2013, 2:10 PM
Jeff,

There are people doing segmented turning using corian. You can also use wood and corian mix. If you go to the segmneted woodturners website you will be able to see what they are doing. Also you can check out Dennis Keelings website. He does some corian work. He also wrote a book on t.

I have been wanting to try a bowl out of corian. I have the material but no time to make it.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Jim Burr
02-12-2013, 6:10 PM
Hey Jeff,
Corian turns great and finishes like wood. It cuts well and any glue you want to use works well.

Jeff Welch
02-12-2013, 7:33 PM
I have made several segmented corian bowls and candy dish's. I just have never used corian as part of a segment glued with wood.

I have always used 2 part epoxy or super glue. Can Titebond II be used for it?

Thanks.

Jeff

Grant Wilkinson
02-12-2013, 7:46 PM
I've used both epoxy and CA glue on corian to wood joints on segmented bowls. Both have held to date. I do not believe that Titebond II will work. I checked on using Titebond III and Titebond told me it would not work.
It's likely that, wood movement will break the joint. Neither CA nor epoxy joints are very flexible in my experience.

Curt Harms
02-13-2013, 7:54 AM
I've been reading up on Corian and wood though not for turning. What has stuck so far is that wood moves due to changes in moisture/humidity, Corian moves due to temperature changes. Small pieces may not move enough to matter, dunno.