PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection opinions, advice, etc!

Jason Zahn
02-12-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm getting closer to the final planning and purchase of an introductory dust collection system for my work space, and I need some opinions and advice. Thanks to all of those who commented on my previous DC post several weeks ago; it gave me a good point to start planning from.

What I have is a two car garage, attached to my house, that houses our 2 cars full time. I'm just getting started, so the center of my shop is my intro tablesaw (RIDGID R4512). At this point in time, the other tools that I'd like to have DC for are a router, miter saw, and sanders. I know that I'll be expanding my inventory of tools as the budget allows in time. What I'm trying to work out is how to accomplish good dust collection, especially fine particulate, being that 1) the work space is attached to the house, and, 2) I want a healthy space to work in, even if I only get to spend several hours a week out there.

What I am considering is going with either a cyclone type preseparator such as the dust deputy or mini gorilla, OR a larger central dust collector such as a mid-size HF model, in addition to some kind of air filter/scrubber that would be installed to (hopefully?) deal with issue of fines. Also, possibly a Dylos meter?

Does a setup such as this seem adequate as far as dust collection AND safety for a small garage shop? Are there other factors I should be taking into consideration?

I would really appreciate everyone's guidance so I can get rolling on this.

Thanks!

Jim Andrew
02-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Routers, mitersaws, and sanders are hard tools to get the dust picked up from. I use a vac for all three. Sent one router to Eurekazone, they drilled out the handle and put a pipe in place so I can hook the vac to it, and my ROS is a Bosch with the dust fittings installed. My mitersaw has it's own vac. Not great, but better than nothing. I got a dust fitting for another router I plan to use for dovetails. The stationary machines work better for a dust system, and I would consider the HF unit minimum.

Paul Wunder
02-13-2013, 9:12 AM
Jason, pick up a copy of the April issue of Fine Woodworking magazine, Good article on combining Dust Deputies and/or Thien separators with a traditional single stage dust collector.

Jason Zahn
02-13-2013, 9:11 PM
Thanks Paul, and Jim...I appreciate the replies.

Jason

David Kumm
02-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Jason, pick up a copy of the April issue of Fine Woodworking magazine, Good article on combining Dust Deputies and/or Thien separators with a traditional single stage dust collector.

Some good info but don't believe that a 1.5 hp collector will deliver 500 cfm in working conditions. They tested with a few feet of flex attached to standard duct to get their numbers. If you put flex to a machine hood the cfm will drop down big time. The 2 hp is the real minimum for most single baggers with a separator. Dave

Paul Wunder
02-14-2013, 2:56 PM
David is correct. Single stage units of 1 1/2 HP are not designed to operate with more than a 5' length of flex duct attached to the tool's port. And many will not put out enough CFM under those conditions. One unit I can recommend is the Delta 50-760 1 1/2 HP single stage. I use a CV cyclone now, but the Delta was my first collector and I bought it on the advice of Fine Woodworking magazine after that model clearly bested all others in their class in what I considered to be a well run test. If that unit were combined with a Dust Deputy or Thien baffle it would represent a good "roll-around" "starter" combination for most hobbyist machines for "chip" collection and collection of some "fines."

michael osadchuk
02-14-2013, 8:28 PM
Jason,

Even though I have a store bought air cleaner/filter, I would recommend that you first put your efforts and money into getting a dust collector (single stage or cyclone) of sufficient power (2hp minimum) and getting good dust pickup at each machine. An overhead air cleaner only picks a portion of the very light particles (which escaped into air because of poor dust pick - smiley), while you are breathing some of particles not in the path of the air cleaner. Also the escaped 'fines' settle, in my experience - and I have a Dylos meter) - much more quickly that official government statements.
If you find yourself in a situation where somehow there is a lot fine particles in the air, you can exit the shop for a half hour while you run the dust collector as an air cleaner.

I certainly have read quick a few success stories on the U.S. woodworking forums with using the nominal 2hp Harbour Freight single stage collector. Check out Phil Thien's baffle website.

Buy only portable machines, such as orbital sanders and hand held routers, that have designed in very good dust collection ports to shop vacs. Online there are reviews of these machines as to their dust collection abilities along with their main functions.

The Dylos meter is nice but you can pick up the 'lessons learnt' from it by reading the reports of people who have used it, the biggest perhaps being get the best possible pick up dust at each machine.

good luck,

Michael