PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Miter Saw Issues

Chris Luna
02-12-2013, 11:30 AM
So I've been racking my brain with this problem for a while and now it's gotten so bad that I don't really want to use the thing until I fix or replace it. I have a DW718 12" slider. The blade has developed a wobble (~1/16") which creates obvious problems when cutting miters. Even 90 deg cuts have become problematic lately. To make it even worse, the wobble straightens out after the blade is half way through the cut so all my cuts have uneven sloping! At first I thought it was the blade but after throwing a brand new Chop Master on it the problem remains. With the saw off I can't wiggle the blade side to side but it does have 1/4-3/8" of play rotationally. I took the gear box apart and can't find any suspect bearings. The grease was clean. The saw has seen a ton of use. It hasn't been abused but it definitely has a lot of hours on it. (5 years in a production cabinet shop). Any ideas?

Ralph Boumenot
02-12-2013, 2:55 PM
My first thought was bad bearings but it looks like you have eliminated that. How does the housing for the bearings look? Have you looked at the bearings on the slides? I think DeWalt uses sleeve bearings on them.

Chris Luna
02-12-2013, 4:00 PM
It's definitely not with the slides. I suppose there could be something wrong with the bearings and it's just not visible. I pulled them out and they felt clean. No noticeable play, but then again my fingers don't exactly produce the same force as a running saw. I'm starting to think the gears could be worn. It turns out we have the same model saw at work to I compared the two and the one at work has zero front to back play in the blade. That to me says there is some slop in the gearing on mine. If that's the case I'm not sure this is worth fixing. I'd be in it $150 in parts with no guarantee of it working.

Jim Finn
02-12-2013, 7:22 PM
" I'd be in it $150 in parts with no guarantee of it working.[/QUOTE] You are talking about a pretty expensive saw.That may be cheap. I have this saw and have used it for 13 years now with no issues.

Bruce Wrenn
02-12-2013, 9:41 PM
DeWalt will fix it no matter what is wrong for 50% of what a new saw costs.

Jerry Miner
02-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Have you thoroughly checked the arbor flange and washer? A burr or piece of grit there will cause a wobble

Chris Luna
02-14-2013, 3:02 PM
I had not looked at the arbor flange before and there is a substantial amount of wear on it. It's formed a decent sized lip. It doesn't seem like it is bearing on the arbor how it should. I just ordered a new flange and needle bearings. May as well start at the low hanging fruit. Thanks for the suggestions!

Zach Callum
02-14-2013, 8:10 PM
Those saws are famous for having the problem you describe. You will be better off ditching that yellow saw, and buying something else.

Chris Luna
02-15-2013, 2:50 PM
Those saws are famous for having the problem you describe. You will be better off ditching that yellow saw, and buying something else.

I'm hoping to milk this thing for a few more months and then I'll likely upgrade to something else. I've never been terribly happy with the saw which is why I wasn't wanting to put a lot of $$$ into it. That Bosch with the glider arm looks intriguing. It's so smooth that I almost wonder if it's too smooth...

Chris Padilla
02-15-2013, 4:52 PM
Unplug the saw and then rotate the blade while trying to deflect it to see if there is something up in the bearings/arbor area.