PDA

View Full Version : A setback, and no turning for a while again, but I'm still around

Leo Van Der Loo
02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I have been working away to get my shop organized, and it has taken longer than anticipated, for now it is so I can work in it and turn /return my projects, not perfect but I'm quite happy with it for now.

Then Anny and I where getting ready to go for a couple of weeks to Cuba to soak up some sun and meet old friends and new ones.

Before leaving for that, I had my yearly checkup and my only problem was a bit of a sore back, I thought my kidneys was the cause, had a kidney stone years ago, so I blamed my kidneys, my new doctor here in Atikokan thought that a ultra sound was a good idea to see what the problem was.

So Jan.16 I was to have a Ultra sound and I drank my 8 big glasses of water first thing that morning before breakfast, drove to the hospital and had my ultra sound done, outcome was no kidney stones, so that was good, .......... however as the technician was scanning my inside she found my abdominal aorta was very much enlarged right from the top down into my legs, (though I wasn't told how bad it was right then) just that the aorta was expanded to 65 mm, emergency surgery is done when it is at 55 mm, so this called for immediate action.

Quick fly-out of Atikokan and a good hour later I was in Winnipeg, the surgeon was in surgery when I arrived there, but came over right after, a scan was done and that's when I found out how bad it was, the surgeon suggested we don't wait at all, he told me he didn't think he could fix it all, ..... I asked he do his best as I certainly could not ask for more and so I had mayor surgery that evening, 6 hours after that I was wheeled out of the O.R. and into ICU. (and yes he fixed it all :D)

I was doing real well and after 10 days I was back in Atikokan and then for just a few days in the Hospital here, now I'm home getting stronger very slowly, no trip to Cuba now, but we can do this over some other time .

I'm still pretty weak but am able to walk around and climb the stairs and sit here in front of my Mac for short times, not much else allowed, it'll take a while before I will be able to get back into my shop and do some work, good thing is I'm still around to take on another day, Cheers :D

Tim Rinehart
02-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Leo, relieved to hear things went well in the end, but what a scare that must have been for Anny and you. I'm hoping you are able to follow any protocol established by your doc following the surgery and are back on your feet doing what you want to do.
Will keep you in thoughts and prayers for fullest of recovery and recoup.

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Leo - thanks so much for sharing! So happy that you had everything checked before you left for Cuba! I wish you a full and speedy recovery!

Chip Sutherland
02-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Aortic aneurysms do trump trips to Cuba and turning. My mother-in-law survived one and lived another 15+ yrs. It took Medicare over 2 yrs to pay for the surgery seems the survival rate is pretty low....but a whole lot better than in the 70's thanks to preventative medicine and medical improvements. Get well, get strong.

Quinn McCarthy
02-12-2013, 11:48 AM
That is pretty scary story. Glad to hear that you are better.

I didn't realize that you lived so close to me. If you ever get to Fort Francis we should get together.

Quinn

Thom Sturgill
02-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Leo, I'm glad to hear it worked out well. Take care, follow instructions and get well. We missed you during your move and are looking forward to your return to turning.

Reed Gray
02-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Glad to hear you are healing. I will keep you in my thoughts. I had wondered why you had been so quiet.

robo hippy

Jim Tobias
02-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Glad to hear you and the Drs. caught it in time. My barber had that same condition and after a few months of recovery, he's back playing golf so you should feel good about getting back to normal soon.

Jim

Ken Glass
02-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Leo,
Thanks for sharing your very fortunate story. Maybe it can serve as a reminder to see your Dr. when you experience problems and not accept a quick diagnosis. Good on you Leo.

Greg Ketell
02-12-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm VERY happy they found it and were able to fix it, Leo. Take care of yourself and I look forward to many more years of seeing your fine turnings and reading your great advice!

Roger Chandler
02-12-2013, 1:11 PM
So glad you were able to get the medical help you needed......a truly dangerous situation!!! May your recovery be a speedy one, and I hope you will not try to overdo it too soon. Glad you are on the mend, Leo!

Rob Cunningham
02-12-2013, 1:18 PM
Leo,
Glad to hear that your surgery was successful. I wish you a speedy and full recovery

dean griffith
02-12-2013, 1:18 PM
Leo thanks for sharing with us. Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Take it slow and take care.

bob svoboda
02-12-2013, 1:24 PM
Very glad things are looking up. Must have been a scary experience. Have missed seeing your posts. Get well!

Matt Mackinnon
02-12-2013, 1:57 PM
Leo, I'm glad to hear you're on the mend. You never know what life has around the corner for you, and I am very glad that you went and got it checked out before the trip. Not something that you'd want to have fail in Cuba. I know the road to recovery is slow, but our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope that you can live vicariously through our posts until you are well enough again to get behind your lathe and start making the wonderful creations that your so well known for.

Matt

John Keeton
02-12-2013, 2:46 PM
Leo, that surgery is usually either successful, or, the outcome is tragic. I am so glad to hear yours went well. The medical profession has made great strides in dealing with aortic aneurysms. At one time, there was little hope of a good outcome. Apparently, you have more yet to accomplish in this life!!

Chris Studley
02-12-2013, 2:53 PM
Good to hear all is well now and that you were able to find the problem before it found you. As a Canadian citizen you are also fortunate that the procedure will not bankrupt you, your woodturning habit can do that...

Dan Forman
02-12-2013, 2:53 PM
Leo --- Lucky you caught it when you did! Hoping for a full and speedy recovery, and many more posts from you over the years.

Dan

Josh Bowman
02-12-2013, 3:13 PM
Leo, that's a close one! Glad they found it and got it fixed. Speedy recovery.

Mike Cruz
02-12-2013, 3:21 PM
My, my, my...don't check in for 4 hours and see what you miss!

Leo, sorry to hear you had to go through all that...and miss your trip on top of it. Glad to hear you are recovering well, though I know you are itching to turn. Turning runs through your veins as much as blood does. Get better. Get turning!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2013, 3:28 PM
Glad to hear the surgery was successful Leo! It's better to discover it while it's repairable!

Follow the doctor's orders and get well.

Ted Calver
02-12-2013, 3:55 PM
Leo,
That counts as a stroke of good fortune in my book. Glad you had a technician that picked up on the swelling and glad you found a surgeon that was skilled enough to fix you up. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Rick Markham
02-12-2013, 4:19 PM
Heal up quick Leo! I can relate to the shop reorganization taking WAY too long... I'm still living it LOL Take care of yourself and relax for awhile, the benefit of taking a break IMO (always looking on the bright side) is that it gives you lots of time to think of new ideas!

Bob Bergstrom
02-12-2013, 4:20 PM
Good to hear things went as good as aspected. My neighbor lived on for 16 years after it was found while having a physical for a new job. He had a Gortex patch and got the job too. We all value you comments and suggestions. It good to know you are a good Mac user too.

Maria Alvarado
02-12-2013, 4:29 PM
Glad they caught it Leo! That's one kind of "thin wall" you don't need. Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back at the lathe soon!

Bill Bolen
02-12-2013, 4:46 PM
A scary story with a great ending. Hope you have a fast recovery with no more scares.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-12-2013, 5:50 PM
Leo,
My Dad had the same procedure when he was 74 years old. He will be 90 next month so all other things being equal, expect a good long like. As his son I was told by his doctor to begin having ultra sounds every other year. It seems it can easily be handed down to male children. Glad they caught yours, it sounds like it was a time bomb. Was your surgery done with laproscopy or did they have to do it the hard way? I hope you were a candidate for the easier method because the recovery is much quicker. God bless and keep on keeping on.
faust

Curt Fuller
02-12-2013, 5:58 PM
Good to hear you're on the mend Leo. That's some serious stuff and you're lucky you found it before it was more serious. Get well!

Jim Burr
02-12-2013, 6:04 PM
That was close Leo...triple A is nothing to mess with. As you found out, it's a very invasive surgery. Your best friend right now is moving around and deep breathing...lack of either will result in pneumonia. Sorry about Cuba, I'll send you a postcard in March from a medical research trip on disaster management. First time there since medical missions aren't banned...it's gonna be fun!! Get better and keep moving!!

charlie knighton
02-12-2013, 7:26 PM
wish you well, take care, enjoy your future Cuba trip, no cigars

Doug Herzberg
02-12-2013, 8:27 PM
That happened to a close friend. He had some medical spending account money left over at the end of the year and decided to go in for one of those full body scans. Six hours he was where you are now. I'm glad to hear your results were as fortunate as his. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

George Morris
02-12-2013, 9:32 PM
Leo get well soon ,best of luck. Heal quickly!

Timothy Mann
02-12-2013, 9:45 PM
Glad it was caught in time Leo, hope you recover quickly.

Harry Robinette
02-12-2013, 9:52 PM
Leo
Glad your doing good,like you said your still here and thats the BIG DEAL do what the Doc says.Hope for a full recovery.

Kathy Marshall
02-12-2013, 9:55 PM
I'm glad they caught it before it became a disaster! Sorry about missing your trip to Cuba, but it's good to know you'll be around to take it some other time. Get well quick, but follow the Dr's orders!

Greg Just
02-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. I always enjoy your insight into woodturning.

Jim Underwood
02-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Man. Take care Leo. Stick close to home and don't overdo it. Keep in close contact with your doc too. My Dad lost a leg to a similar problem several years ago... He fell after surgery and damaged something. Blood circulation was lost, infection set in and it killed the muscles in the leg. Docs were out of town and couldn't be reached. Finally they just took the thing off. It could have killed him.

So be careful bro. We wanna keep seeing those things you do...

robert baccus
02-12-2013, 11:37 PM
That techi and Doctor both saved you--very good luck. Had one 5 yrs ago and not a problem and you should have the same. I buy better wood now also.

Ron Crosby
02-13-2013, 2:52 AM
Get well, Leo.
Sounds to me like the healthcare in Canada is top notch after all.
So much for all those rumors you hear coming from the republicans. lol

philip labre
02-13-2013, 8:54 AM
Leo, glad to hear you're on the mend! Get well soon!

Bernie Weishapl
02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Leo thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you are recovering and the surgery was successful. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Don Orr
02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Wow Leo, what a scare. Very glad they caught it in time and you are on the mend. Take it easy and get well soon.

Jeffrey J Smith
02-13-2013, 1:19 PM
Leo:
Good to hear you're on the mend. I've enjoyed your postings. Glad to hear your doctors were taking good care even if it cost you a few days in the sun. Concentrate on healing. It's good for the soul.

Jeff

Leo Van Der Loo
02-13-2013, 6:34 PM
Leo, relieved to hear things went well in the end, but what a scare that must have been for Anny and you. I'm hoping you are able to follow any protocol established by your doc following the surgery and are back on your feet doing what you want to do.

Will keep you in thoughts and prayers for fullest of recovery and recoup.

Thank you Tim, well I didn't get any time to get scared really, I'm sure Anny had some thought on what could happen, though she never let on.

Leo - thanks so much for sharing! So happy that you had everything checked before you left for Cuba! I wish you a full and speedy recovery!

Thank you Steve, all a lucky combination of things, as I would have left it as "my kidneys are acting up again" and it'll get better, but my doctor is very thorough and likes to get answers, not guesses.

Aortic aneurysms do trump trips to Cuba and turning. My mother-in-law survived one and lived another 15+ yrs. It took Medicare over 2 yrs to pay for the surgery seems the survival rate is pretty low....but a whole lot better than in the 70's thanks to preventative medicine and medical improvements. Get well, get strong.

Thanks Chip, yes they do, the scary thing about it is that you don't feel anything about this, one of the reasons they are very often fatal, time is not on your side if there is a rupture.

That is pretty scary story. Glad to hear that you are better.

I didn't realize that you lived so close to me. If you ever get to Fort Francis we should get together.

Quinn

Thanks Quinn, yes close is a bit of a stretch, but much closer than before that's for sure, you are welcome to come on over when in the neighborhood.

Leo, I'm glad to hear it worked out well. Take care, follow instructions and get well. We missed you during your move and are looking forward to your return to turning.

Thanks Tom, yes I follow doctors orders, and the boss will make sure I do :)

Glad to hear you are healing. I will keep you in my thoughts. I had wondered why you had been so quiet.

robo hippy

Thanks Reed, yes there was a good reason .

Doug W Swanson
02-13-2013, 6:46 PM
Glad to hear the doctors found it when they did. Take care of yourself!

Jeff Nicol
02-13-2013, 7:05 PM
WOW! That just sounds scary on a lot of levels of life and I am so glad to hear that the surgeon was able to get it all taken care of and that you were not somewhere you were not able to see the doctor in the first place, someone was watching out for you that day!

Take it slow and we will wait to hear from you with you usual words of wisdom and knowledge. One day at a time and listen to Anny when you get told to rest!

Take care,

Jeff

Leo Van Der Loo
02-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Glad to hear the doctors found it when they did. Take care of yourself!

Thanks Doug, yes that ultra sound technician saved my life finding the problem, then doctors and health teams did their thing, now it's up to me to get better.

I'm VERY happy they found it and were able to fix it, Leo. Take care of yourself and I look forward to many more years of seeing your fine turnings and reading your great advice!

Thank you Greg, I also like to make many more turnings and see what other turners make and do show us.

So glad you were able to get the medical help you needed......a truly dangerous situation!!! May your recovery be a speedy one, and I hope you will not try to overdo it too soon. Glad you are on the mend, Leo!

Thank you Roger, I will try to be patient, not my strongest side.

Leo,
Glad to hear that your surgery was successful. I wish you a speedy and full recovery

Thank you Rob, yes I'm looking forward being useful again.

Leo thanks for sharing with us. Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Take it slow and take care.

Thank you Dean, I'm glad I'm able to, and slow it is, one day at the time.

Harvey Ghesser
02-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Pfffew!! That was a close one, Leo! Very glad you're on the mend.

Sid Matheny
02-14-2013, 6:32 PM
Leo I am sure glad he was able to get you fixed up and you are doing so well. Seems like you were just getting back to the lathe when this happened and I do miss seeing your posts and pictures of the projects you have made. Best of luck on a quick recovery.

Sid

Baxter Smith
02-14-2013, 9:50 PM
Sorry to hear of your medical difficulties Leo. I am relieved that things are going well! Take care!

Leo Van Der Loo
02-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Leo, that surgery is usually either successful, or, the outcome is tragic. I am so glad to hear yours went well. The medical profession has made great strides in dealing with aortic aneurysms. At one time, there was little hope of a good outcome. Apparently, you have more yet to accomplish in this life!!

Thank you John, found before rupture the survival rate is pretty good apparently, scary thing is there is not any feeling of something being wrong, same here, just having lower back pain not connected with this triggered the ultra sound scanning and my life extended, and maybe I have to stay here for while yet, I gladly comply :)

Good to hear all is well now and that you were able to find the problem before it found you. As a Canadian citizen you are also fortunate that the procedure will not bankrupt you, your woodturning habit can do that...

Thanks Chris, yes I'd shudder having this happen in the US, mind you I have paid the taxes for this all my working life, but I would say yes it is worth it if not taken too far and kept under control.

Leo --- Lucky you caught it when you did! Hoping for a full and speedy recovery, and many more posts from you over the years.

Dan

Thank you Dan, I'll do my best.

Leo, that's a close one! Glad they found it and got it fixed. Speedy recovery.

Thank you Josh, yes it was, looking forward to better days again.

My, my, my...don't check in for 4 hours and see what you miss!

Leo, sorry to hear you had to go through all that...and miss your trip on top of it. Glad to hear you are recovering well, though I know you are itching to turn. Turning runs through your veins as much as blood does. Get better. Get turning!

Thank you Mike, my trip is only delayed, the good thing is I will be able to take it being healthy again.

Glad to hear the surgery was successful Leo! It's better to discover it while it's repairable!

Follow the doctor's orders and get well.

Thank you Ken, not much of a chance if there is a rupture, especially if it takes some time to get help.

Leo,
That counts as a stroke of good fortune in my book. Glad you had a technician that picked up on the swelling and glad you found a surgeon that was skilled enough to fix you up. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thank you Ted, you know some good luck goes a long way in cases like this one, but very skilled persons are essential.

Heal up quick Leo! I can relate to the shop reorganization taking WAY too long... I'm still living it LOL Take care of yourself and relax for awhile, the benefit of taking a break IMO (always looking on the bright side) is that it gives you lots of time to think of new ideas!

Thank you Rick, you know my shop is never going to be perfect, but as it is now I can live with it, I'll show it in a new thread.

Good to hear things went as good as aspected. My neighbor lived on for 16 years after it was found while having a physical for a new job. He had a Gortex patch and got the job too. We all value you comments and suggestions. It good to know you are a good Mac user too.

Thanks Bob, 16 years??, I'll just take it a day at the time, yes Apple has been our computers without interruption since 1981.

Glad they caught it Leo! That's one kind of "thin wall" you don't need. Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back at the lathe soon!

Thank you Maria, good I didn't have a mouth-full of thee, or it would have covered my keyboard :D, yes it was a "thin-wall" I didn't need, thanks for that one.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-15-2013, 12:43 AM
That techi and Doctor both saved you--very good luck. Had one 5 yrs ago and not a problem and you should have the same. I buy better wood now also.

Thank you Robert, yes they sure did, good for you that you came through with flying colors, I'll try to follow your lead.

Get well, Leo.
Sounds to me like the healthcare in Canada is top notch after all.
So much for all those rumors you hear coming from the republicans. lol

Thank you Ron, the system here is very good, biggest problem is large country and few people to cover all the cost, still better than also having to cover the big salaries and fat profits on top of that.

Leo, glad to hear you're on the mend! Get well soon!

Thank you Philip. I'm working on it.

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. I always enjoy your insight into woodturning.

Thank you Greg, I'm always glad if I can help in some small way, I wish I would have had the help of other turners when I started out, though I did find the answers, some the hard way.

Leo:
Good to hear you're on the mend. I've enjoyed your postings. Glad to hear your doctors were taking good care even if it cost you a few days in the sun. Concentrate on healing. It's good for the soul.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'm getting better, given time I'll also will get the days in the sun.

Pfffew!! That was a close one, Leo! Very glad you're on the mend.

It sure was Harvey, when the surgeon showed me the picture of my inside, I kind of said to myself "what a mess" but he pulled me through, Thank You.

Sorry to hear of your medical difficulties Leo. I am relieved that things are going well! Take care!

Thank you Baxter, the difficult part is mostly past, now it takes just time and perseverance and patience on my part, the latter is in short supply at times, but Anny will help me with that one I expect ;)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-15-2013, 8:33 PM
That was close Leo...triple A is nothing to mess with. As you found out, it's a very invasive surgery. Your best friend right now is moving around and deep breathing...lack of either will result in pneumonia. Sorry about Cuba, I'll send you a postcard in March from a medical research trip on disaster management. First time there since medical missions aren't banned...it's gonna be fun!! Get better and keep moving!!

Thank you Jim, yes that and 2 bypasses and a stent if i understood that right into my left leg artery.

Cuba I think will amaze you, their medical prowess is very good IMO, LOML Anny had to deal with a bad case of diverticulitis, they got the infection under control very quickly, and back in Canada, one surgeon would only do a transplant (rejected) then another one did remove the worst of the affected intestine, no guarantee as he said before going in, Anny has been doing fine for several years already now.

Yes I was told the same, it was pretty hard to do the first few days, coughing the mucus up was very painful, but i did it, now I work on the rest

Leo get well soon ,best of luck. Heal quickly!

Thank you George, will try.

Leo thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you are recovering and the surgery was successful. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Thank you Bernie, I'll be around for a while, I hope.

Wow Leo, what a scare. Very glad they caught it in time and you are on the mend. Take it easy and get well soon.

Thanks Don, not much spunk but for going easy.

WOW! That just sounds scary on a lot of levels of life and I am so glad to hear that the surgeon was able to get it all taken care of and that you were not somewhere you were not able to see the doctor in the first place, someone was watching out for you that day!

Take it slow and we will wait to hear from you with you usual words of wisdom and knowledge. One day at a time and listen to Anny when you get told to rest!

Take care,

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, you are very right about being right there were the health teams are, being out in the bush or being away from capable people by just a few miles/minutes, and a leak or rupture means certain death, time is just not on your side.
It past my mind Jeff, maybe they don't want me up there yet (wherever that may be), I've been told a few times that I have 2 angels looking after me :rolleyes:, that's OK with me, hope they stay on the job for a while yet :D.

I have tried to reply to everyone that did take the time to post their thought and good wishes, I'm not sure I got everyone, If I didn't my apologies, and want to thank each and everyone I missed, have fun and take care.
Leo Van Der Loo