PDA

View Full Version : Work Sharp 3000 Owners

Nicholas Lingg
02-12-2013, 9:27 AM
I'm about to spring for a Work Sharp 3000. So which of the accessories do you use the most or least?

Prashun Patel
02-12-2013, 9:34 AM
Most used: 1) above-table sharpening platform. I don't use the under port at all any more. Of course, this means you need a honing jig also... 2) additional glass wheels (I have one for 80, 150, 220, 400, 1000, and one for the 2 micron wheels.)

You can use 2 diff grits on each side of a wheel, but it means you'll be changing more often. That's a pain.

Joe Cowan
02-12-2013, 9:58 AM
I just use mine for chisels now. I had a extreme hard time getting the extension table to stay level and ended up getting some ceramic stones for my planes.

Joe Scharle
02-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Only thing I added was the leather hone.

Cary Falk
02-12-2013, 10:06 AM
I have an extra glass wheel. I keep telling myself I am going to get the leather wheel. There are some utube videos of a guy making MDF wheels and using buffing compounds which looks interesting as well.

Ron Patrick
02-12-2013, 10:11 AM
The video that Cary is referring to is by Stumpy Nubs (http://stumpynubs.blogspot.com/), and it does look very interesting. ( link is to his web site, just click around and you will find it or you could go to youtube and search)

Ellen Benkin
02-12-2013, 11:33 AM
I have one and love it. I would get some extra plates so that you don't have to change paper until it is gone. Also, it would be nice to find a cheaper source of sandpaper that is as easily removed from the glass plates as the Work Sharp paper.

Cary Falk
02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
The video that Cary is referring to is by Stumpy Nubs (http://stumpynubs.blogspot.com/), and it does look very interesting. ( link is to his web site, just click around and you will find it or you could go to youtube and search)

Thanks for the link. I couldn't remember his name.

Mike Henderson
02-12-2013, 12:50 PM
I find that the value in the WorkSharp is to establish the primary bevel on chisels, with a secondary bevel put on with water stones. So I only use one glass wheel and fairly coarse sandpaper. That said, the WS is worth it to me because it makes sharpening chisels MUCH faster since I don't have to establish the primary bevel my hand - and I don't like doing it on a grinder for fear of overheating the edge.

Mike

Peter Aeschliman
02-12-2013, 1:37 PM
I have an extra glass wheel, the leather hone, and the felt wheel.

I've read a lot of bad reviews on the wide blade table attachment. I've also seen some setups where guys make their own, which is interesting. But I could definitely benefit from one of those. I already have a veritas honing jig I could use with it. I think the biggest advantage here would be not having to flip the plates over to use the honing port.

Al Weber
02-12-2013, 4:21 PM
Bought an extra glass wheel to give me some flexibility in abrasives. Built my own platform to use with a honing gauge for plane blades. I plan to make some MDF wheels for honing compound but haven't gotten that done yet. And a foot switch to make it easier to flatten the back of blades. I guess it is possible to hold the blade and turn on the machine switch but being somewhat challenged in doing so, I find the foot switch a big assist. You can buy abrasives up to 1000 from Klingspor for less money that WS but I'm still looking for a micro abrasive dealer that has the round discs (with or without the hold) in stock.

Stew Hagerty
02-12-2013, 7:03 PM
I'm giving a HUGE +1 for the above table sharpening platform. Like Prashun, I almost never use the underside anymore. I saddle up the iron or chisel in my Veritas MkII and rock-n-roll right there on top.

I have a total of 5 glass plates , each set up differently on each side. Except that is for 1000 grit. I had one extra side to use, and I use 1000 most of the time to start any touchups so I stuck 2 on the middle plate. From course to fine, I have them set up like this:

Plate 1 - 80/120
Plate 2 - 220/400
Plate 3 - 1000/1000
Plate 4 - 3600/6000
Plate 5 - Leather/blank

It takes just a couple seconds to swap or flip the plates so it goes very quick. And once you get the platform leveled correctly (SPEND THE TIME AND DO IT WITH PRECISION!!!), the results from this method are incredible.

I have not yet purchased the Tool bar and Tormek attachments so I cannot speak about them from experience, but it certainly looks like an excellent system. I plan on getting those attachments soon.

I mulled over about getting the Worksharp for quite a while before taking the plunge. But I tell you, I am very glad that I did. It makes fast work of my sharpening needs and does every bit as good or better job than I could do manually with waterstones.

Peter Hawser
02-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Not to be a downer, but I only use mine for the wife's knives (I have the attachment). All my planes and chisels are sharpened on stones and if I need to establish a new bevel, I use a 6" grinder. I know, to each his own and with so many options out there (and so much confusion) everyone can find what works for them, but it didn't work for me. Consumable disks, changing wheels... it all adds up in time and money and you can get a nice set of sigma stones for a little bit more. That was the regret I ended up with. For knives, well let's just say my wife thinks I am some kind of whiz when the WS does all the work.