PDA

View Full Version : Built-in Question

jeffrey bailey
02-12-2013, 9:23 AM
Building a built-in for my wifes crafts room. It calls for 4 bookcases. The plan I am using for the bookcases says to build the cases sepreately and then attach them to each other and the wall. I dont have a problem with that. When it comes to the trim it says to install it seperately for each case. I would rather install it along all 4 cases. Is there a problem with this? If so, why?

Jeff Bartley
02-12-2013, 9:33 AM
By trim do you mean crown, base, ? I would think installing it along all four cases would be the ideal way to do it but I say that without actually having seen the plan.

Jeff Duncan
02-12-2013, 9:37 AM
I would run crown and base in a straight shot across all the cases, anything else will look poor IMHO. Now if your talking about a vertical trim piece, say a fluted pilaster at the front of each case connecting them....that you can attach after you install the cases. Other than that hard to advise without more info.

JeffD

Prashun Patel
02-12-2013, 9:41 AM
For crown and base, installing it separately would mean seams between the units.

I'd vote for crown and base across the whole assembled unit.

Is the built in wall-to-wall? If not (that is, if there's returns for the crown on the 1st and 4th unit) and if you're not painting, I find it easier to install the crown on a separate unit. You basically make a 1x box around the top of the 4 units out of the same wood, then fit the crown to that - on the ground and then finally install the whole thing onto your unit. I find it easier to do. YMMV.

For faceframes, I prefer to do them individually where possible. It's easier to keep things square and lined up. Also, if yr using pocket screws, you can screw thru the outside of the carcases to the frames.

jeffrey bailey
02-12-2013, 9:58 AM
Yes I was talking about crown and base. I dont know why the plan would call for installing them seperately for each case. Like was mentioned previously doing it that way would leave seams between each case. I am going to run a straight shot across all cases.

Joe Scharle
02-12-2013, 9:59 AM
Gaps in the base somehow don't look bad, but do look bad on the crown. However, I built a 3 box floor to ceiling unit a few years ago and found it much easier to build the base as a separate piece and set the boxes on that. Then build the crown in place. First, it's hard to get the units in place without some head clearance and you will need to reach the anti-tip wire without a couple of inches to get your hand in. I also pocket screwed the one piece face frame over the unit. So far no one has noticed.