PDA

View Full Version : BLM platter, my first

David Reed
02-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Haven't posted anything in quite a while. Seems like everything I turn gets given away before I even get decent pics. Well these are not very good pictures either as the piece is too big for my rather rudimentary photo tent.
I started this about a year and a half ago and wrapped it up and finally happy with the finish after a few goes at it. One coat of WOP to pop the grain then tried in vain with General's WTF but could not get the streaks from the large flat surface. Took it down a few times and ended up with four or five coats of Tung oil Finish.
This is what it looked like after initial rounding. It was slated to be a shallow bowl but there was a huge very deep void smack in the center and I needed to cut it away.
This final product is just shy of 20 inches diameter and 1 3/4 inches top to bottom. Kind of thick for a platter, I know. Even though I knew better, I cut too thin from edge to center rather than cut and finish near the edge and work toward the center. At least I applied the textured ring before cutting away all the support. Made it very difficult to control oscillations while cutting thinner even with a steady. As a result, the final thickness is a skosh over 1/4", but gives some meat to grip and I don't worry about it breaking when picked up by the edge with one hand as people are prone to do.
Currently unsigned but will soon remedy that.
David

Ted Calver
02-12-2013, 12:28 AM
David, That's some beautiful wood and you did it proud. It must have been fun wrestling that monster into submission.

Bob Bergstrom
02-12-2013, 8:52 AM
David, wonderful piece of wood and way to make it look its best. Good to see you posting and thanks for sharing.

Richard Jones
02-12-2013, 9:36 AM
Pretty work and wood. I love the foot. Around here, thicker sells better than thinner, for the most part. Only us "it could be thinner" woodturners really see that, anyway........................

Nice crisp details, just the right amount of texturing without being overbearing. That's a really nice piece.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Tim Rinehart
02-12-2013, 11:23 AM
David, this is a really nice platter. I like the amount of voids in it to give an old look, good crisp details on the rim and I like the subtle texturing. Most of all...kudos for not taking this too thin. I think this is perfect for this size piece and agree with Richard's comments to the same.
I haven't wrestled a big piece like this yet...great job, you should be pleased with this.

robert baccus
02-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Bueatiful and usable platter if you want that. Some pieces need bulk and the insides often have different designs than the exterior. Thin is workmanship but workmanship is not spelled thin.

Hayes Rutherford
02-13-2013, 7:34 PM
David, I like the look of the beads interrupted by the voids, it gives the impression of an old resurrected artifact, or a piece so significant that in was kept in service for generations.