PDA

View Full Version : best way to sand hemispherical depressions?

Lee Alkureishi
02-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Hi all,

I have a workpiece that has a series of 4 hemispherical depressions ranging from 1/2to 1". They were created using core boxrouter bits in a drill press . Unfortunately, the low spd if the drill press created some bad tear out.

I know I won't be able to get rid of all the tear out without changing the shape, but does anyone have any suggestions for how best to sand/smooth this out?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Rick Lizek
02-12-2013, 3:28 AM
http://www.katools.com/shop/carbide-abrasive-sphere-burr-p-57.html

Dan Hintz
02-12-2013, 7:49 AM
Man, that carbide ball would rip it a new one! You want a set of sanding balls, Lee. I can't suggest a specific set offhand, but they're sold plenty of places and in various sizes, so check around. They're similar to flap sanders, just in ball format rather than disc.

Lee Alkureishi
02-12-2013, 7:57 AM
Thanks both for the tips - will check out the sanding balls :)

glenn bradley
02-12-2013, 9:08 AM
I assume you don't have a plunge router or, you would have just used that(?). Something along this line could help: http://www.widgetsupply.com/category/dremel-grinding-stone-round.html The largest offered here is 1/2" but my dad has larger ones that came from a metal working supply. I'll try to find the name.

Prashun Patel
02-12-2013, 9:46 AM
I'd get a foam backing pad for a ROS. You can get one @ 2sand.com (look under sanding accessories) but I'm sure there are others. This pad is about 1" thick and will conform to inside and outside surfaces. I've used them for post-carving shaping both convex and concave surfaces. Nice thing about this is that you can use different grits.

Caveat: center the pad perfectly and use at low speeds. Your ROS wasn't really designed to use something this deep, and you can get some vibration if not used properly.

Lee Alkureishi
02-12-2013, 1:09 PM
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for that - I have a couple of those balls, but never considered using them on wood - I'll give it a try on some test pieces. And you are correct - I don't have a plunge router, so used the drill press instead. It's on my want list, but couldn't justify it right now for four holes... :)

Prashun, what size of foam backing pad do you mean? My largest depression is 1" diameter, and about 1/2" deep - not sure how a backing pad wound get into that cavity?

Thanks again