PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice on Bandsaw

Mark Largent
02-11-2013, 2:30 PM
I'm in the market for a bandsaw. I would like a 14" saw, and have looked at comparable new Jet, Delta, and Steel City saws. Prices run about $450-650 plus tax.

Locally, there's a Delta Rockwell for sale. I have met and trust the seller. It has a 1/2 hp Baldor motor and he wants $350 for it. Does anyone know anything about this model of saw (see the picture). If it indeed works well and I can save $100-300 over new, is there any reason why I wouldn't go for it?

Thanks,
Mark

David Kumm
02-11-2013, 2:49 PM
Generally they are better than new if in good shape. You may want to upgrade the motor. Look at the tires and run it to check for bearing noise. Dave

Jim Matthews
02-11-2013, 5:24 PM
As mentioned above, there are only a few moving parts.

Take off the blade, spin the wheels and kick the tires.
If there are no visible wobbles or squeals, it's a deal.

FYI - Don't lift the saw by the cast iron table.
The trunnions are pot metal (http://www.amazon.com/trunnions-wood-band-saw-pair/dp/B000HEJKZ0) and can't take the shear force.

DAMHIKT

Myk Rian
02-11-2013, 5:52 PM
$350 is the max I would go. The 1/2hp motor is fine. They were rated different in the day.
Take the table off to move it.

Andy Fox
02-11-2013, 6:32 PM
It looks like it has the easy to adjust guides on the bottom. That's a nice feature on Delta saws. (Although I doubt all of them have that.)

The older saw will have less parts which are cheaply made, but some of them might be worn, offsetting that advantage.

Consider that getting Delta parts is a big challenge currently, if not impossible. You'll be able to find the more common wear and tear parts though. (So far, I have been unsuccessful in obtaining a part for a Delta X5 bandsaw which is less than 7 years old and 1.5 years out of warranty.)

Gus Dundon
02-12-2013, 9:25 AM
Is that an old band saw? The band saw looks like in great condition. Read this blog (http://bandsawblog.com/what-to-look-for-in-a-used-band-saw/). This might help you.

Mark Largent
02-12-2013, 2:03 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I picked up the saw this afternoon, along with an armful of new blades.

Gus Dundon
02-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Goodluck then! Post pictures Mark!

Myk Rian
02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
It looks like it has the easy to adjust guides on the bottom. That's a nice feature on Delta saws. (Although I doubt all of them have that.)
They are all the same.

The older saw will have less parts which are cheaply made, but some of them might be worn, offsetting that advantage.
All parts are available.

Consider that getting Delta parts is a big challenge currently, if not impossible. You'll be able to find the more common wear and tear parts though. (So far, I have been unsuccessful in obtaining a part for a Delta X5 bandsaw which is less than 7 years old and 1.5 years out of warranty.)
The X5 is Asian made. Anything made up to 2001 or so is USA made. Again, parts are readily available. If I can find parts for my 1966 model, they can be found for any year.
Delta (much of it) was recently sold to a Chinese company. They have been terrible at providing parts for ANY machine lately. You just need to know where to look. ereplacements.com is not always a good place to look as they get their parts from Delta.

John Bailey
02-13-2013, 2:38 PM
I had the 1939 version and loved every minute I worked with it. I wish I still had it.

Congrats -- you're going to love it.

john

Alan Ganek
02-13-2013, 8:04 PM
I have had that saw for 40+ years with the riser block and it still runs great. I routinely cut 11+ inch thick logs for lathe blanks. I suggest you consider adding urethane tires, cool blocks and new guide bearings to get the most out of the machine.

Gus Dundon
02-14-2013, 1:01 PM
I have had that saw for 40+ years with the riser block and it still runs great. I routinely cut 11+ inch thick logs for lathe blanks. I suggest you consider adding urethane tires, cool blocks and new guide bearings to get the most out of the machine.

My bandsaw tire lasted for 4 years and I've changed to urethane tires which I found works better , lasts longer and doesn't need gluing. :)

glenn bradley
02-14-2013, 2:16 PM
$350 is a good price, just not a great price. I would not feel any remorse paying that price for the saw (especially since it is from a trusted source) for the saw if the items mentioned above are all in working order. Look for upper wheel adjustments for tilt and tension, both wheels for bearings, guides for all parts present (or not if you plan to upgrade), table pin, table tilt, pulley condition and so forth. There is no problem getting functional parts for these saws. Some parts only come as part of a more expensive assembly and that may be the issue mentioned earlier(?). Dad's 1940's version, bought new by his father, is going strong with Carter guides and urethane tires. I used it just last weekend and it's operation is perfect. Once aligned, the thing has cut true ever since.

Anthony Diodati
02-14-2013, 8:44 PM
your better off with the old one you got.
Some noted sources feel that the stock guide blocks are the best.

Anthony Diodati
09-07-2014, 4:18 PM
I too use the urethane tires, and I like them .
Some of the guys say NO.
But I think there better. At least I have not had any trouble with them.