PDA

View Full Version : Does this count as the slippery slope?

John Shuk
05-03-2005, 8:10 PM
Wwwwwwell I did it. Ebay is too tempting. I won the auction on a Stanley #4c handplane. It looks to be in good condition to my unlearned eye and price seemed fair. I am paying $1.00 less than my max bid. Total cost to my house is $56.00 The man says japanning is about 98% intact and all parts are intact as well. Has rosewood tote and knob which look pretty nice. He says a ding or 2 in the knob but thats it. I'll see when I get it I guess. Any feedback is appreciated. Even if you think I screwed up. Especially Thanks for looking. I've been obsessed lately with these things!
John

John Shuk
05-03-2005, 8:13 PM
Another couple of pics.

Dennis McDonaugh
05-03-2005, 9:38 PM
John, that's a nice, clean looking plane, I'm sure you'll put it to good use. I only have one corrugated plane--a number 5 my grandfather left. They are a joy to use.

Michael Stadulis
05-03-2005, 10:35 PM
That's a beaut. Great find and a good price.

Mike

Roy Wall
05-03-2005, 10:53 PM
John,

Congratulations......you are now Toast!! The beginning of the end!!!

Plane looks very nice! Get it sharp and you'll love the shavings - well done!

Jeff Sudmeier
05-04-2005, 6:54 AM
John, Congrats on the new plane!

I am about 4 feet back from the slope, but each one of these posts gets me closer!

Matthew Springer
05-04-2005, 12:36 PM
>Does this count as the slippery slope?

Oh, most definitely.

Just wait till you take your first shavings. You'll have the whole collection before you know it. Here on the Neander side the 4C is what is known as a "gateway plane". Turn back now.

For me, it all started out with just a humble LV LA block plane and next thing you know it, a shiny LN 7 had showed up to keep the 4.5 and 5.5 and scrub company. I couldn't help myself. I kept telling the guy in the brown uniform I was in control, but who was I kidding?

And once I had the planes, I got into the heavy stuff. Mortising chisels. And gauges to go with the chisels. Then came the bow saws. Before I knew it I had four honing jigs. Four!

:)

Roy Wall
05-04-2005, 12:59 PM
>
And once I had the planes, I got into the heavy stuff. Mortising chisels. And gauges to go with the chisels. Then came the bow saws. Before I knew it I had four honing jigs. Four!

:)

Yes, the sickness has no limits.............:cool:

Dave Anderson NH
05-04-2005, 1:22 PM
Not only does the sickness have no limits, but when it becomes really advanced the real trouble begins. First it's one or two of a particular model of tool, then it progresses to one of each corrugated and uncorrugated. As the slide progresses,your speed accelerates (basic physics), and you start to finance your habit by becoming a pusher. Becoming a pusher means you are surrounded by multitudes of the same tools and start offering them to innocent and unsuspecting folks. Of course, there are advantages to being a pusher. Now most of your sickness becomes tax deductible and you begin to look for new possibilites for an additional addiction. Hmmm, that blacksmithing thing looks kind of interesting.

Jerry Palmer
05-04-2005, 2:30 PM
So John, what sorta tailed electron burning tools do you have that you'll be selling in the near future to finance this new addiction of yours.

Early on, like Dave said, one or two of a particular model will be OK. Then, you'll be looking for a full set, then you'll get particular and want only a certain Type number. After you have a full set of those another Type will become interesting. Thats with the more popular prolific kinds such as the typical 3-8 in whole and fractional sizes as well as a block or two. And then there is the need for a specialty one. That one, too, starts off innocently enough. Something easy to find like a 78 Rebate plane. Then you'll see that Jack of All trades as well as other stuff, the Jack Rabbet. Now we're into the stuff is is semi-rare, and costs more accordingly. And, of course you'll be needing stuff to help you out with your joinery like a nice shoulder plane, and, of course, two or three dozen chisels. And other handtools, too, but it always seems to come back to planes. I'm up to NEEDING a radius plane and got one comin. Of course when you get into some of the more specialized ones, you gotta go to the pushers to find the good stuff.

So, John. What electron killing tools you got to finance this new addiction.