PDA

View Full Version : How to best smooth out these bullnose edges

Alan Lightstone
02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
This table edge has a complex shape. All curves, convex / concave. I went through 3 expensive router bits, and the best edge I came up with has that line going down the middle.

What is the best approach to remove it? Hand sand it (worried about making curve inconsistent), use a curved card scraper, or make a custom scraper out of metal (not sure how to sharpen it, or make a custom sanding block (difficult with convex/concave curves).

Charles Wiggins
02-11-2013, 12:56 PM
The custom sanding block resonates with me. Depending on how many feet of table edge you have to sand I might consider hand sanding a short, straight section and adhering a piece of sandpaper to that section and use it to form the block out of rigid foam or a soft wood like basswood or even spruce. Then adhere the sandpaper to the form and go to town.

Dave Cav
02-11-2013, 4:52 PM
I just finished sanding about 150 LF of bullnose. Most of it was straight, but some pieces had a 1 1/2" radius on the corners. What worked best for me was a dry kitchen sponge for a backer block. It was stiff enough to hold the paper, but conformed to the bullnose. Not perfect, but it worked pretty well.