PDA

View Full Version : Fiebing's leather dye

Bob Holcombe
02-11-2013, 12:08 PM
I am using Fiebing's leather dye on a turned and carved sculptural piece. After the dye dried I burnished the pieces with a soft cloth to a low luster I would like to keep. The piece shouldn’t be handled much over it’s life, but I am wondering if I should apply a finish. Does anyone have suggestions about a finish that will not hurt the “hand rubbed” look. Also, how light fast is Fiebings dye.

Thanks

Reed Gray
02-11-2013, 1:57 PM
I used to use the Fiebing's leather dye years ago to get custom colors for footbags (aka Hacky Sack, which is a registered trade mark). It would bleach out very quickly, and was not water fast at all. Not sure if they have changed or not. Other fabric dies are better, not sure what the tie dye people use, Porceon or some thing like that actually binds to the fibers, not just tints. With your wood and a good sealer, the Fiebings might work.

robo hippy

John Keeton
02-11-2013, 2:52 PM
Procion MX dyes by Jacquard are the ones to which Reed is making reference - good dyes and light fast. Keep in mind that Fiebings is alcohol based - do not rub on a lacquer or shellac as either will 'lift' the dye. It is best to spray light coats of a sealer -lacquer, shellac, or acrylic, but be careful of runs as they will make a mess! Krylon acrylic matte finish is a nice soft finish that might retain the look you are seeking.

mike ash
02-11-2013, 8:22 PM
I would apply a finish for protection. Some of the finished even help block out the UV rays.

I used to use the Fiebing's leather dye years ago to get custom colors for footbags (aka Hacky Sack, which is a registered trade mark). It would bleach out very quickly, and was not water fast at all. Not sure if they have changed or not. Other fabric dies are better, not sure what the tie dye people use, Porceon or some thing like that actually binds to the fibers, not just tints. With your wood and a good sealer, the Fiebings might work.

Reed!!! How are your new knees going to work with these Hacky Sacks????? The few times I tried to kick them around, my knees didn't like it!!

Mike

Reed Gray
02-11-2013, 8:31 PM
Mike,
My days of competition kicking (free style) are gone. However, we have a golf game, and I may get out on the short course at our annual Labor Day camp out. The Hacky Sack actually started up there in Portland. Oh, yea, it was my hips, and I probably didn't help them out by all the kicking I did. It was so much fun though.

robo hippy

Bob Holcombe
02-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Thank you guys. Krylon acrylic matte finish looks like the best way to go.