View Full Version : walnut bowl

Blake McCully
05-03-2005, 7:39 PM
For your critique. This is a walnut burl bowl. Measures 5 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" high. I got a walnut burl slab off ebay. I have another smaller one I'm in the process of finishing it.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Jerry Clark
05-03-2005, 7:54 PM
That is a nice bowl-- nice form and color. That is a keeper!:)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-03-2005, 9:37 PM
Good job. I like the neck treatment.

Michael Stafford
05-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Quite nice, Blake! :) Very pretty, I like it! ;)

Jim Becker
05-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Blake I generally like this piece, especially since I'm very fond of southwestern style vessels. There is a lot we can learn from these forms and they work as well in wood as they did through the ages in clay. There is something comfortable about the shapes. They also really work nicely with interesting turning stock...and yours exhibits that really nicely. Good choice of material.

Since you asked for suggestions, I'd probably make two. Firstly the opening is a bit large, proportionally...you might try another one with it no more than 1/3 the diameter. The other thing about this form you might try is to make the lower part of the curve less abrupt so you retain a little more curve and a smaller base. The illustration of one half of such a vessel is shown below. Not a great drawing, but it somewhat illustrates what I'm trying to suggest--even if it's a little shorter on the bottom. BTW, these are easiest to turn and hollow as end-grain turnings. (You need to use scrapers on the inside to hollow...not a gouge) In all cases, continuous curves are the goal for the "sexiest" forms. (In the words of Phil Brennion, turner extradinaire and AAW President)

John Hart
05-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Very nice Blake...and I love the wood! I had a vision of a bonsai tree growing out of it

Ernie Nyvall
05-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Nice bowl Blake. I like that form and the wood is beautiful.

Ernie

Blake McCully
05-04-2005, 6:37 AM
Thanks guys. Jim, especially thanks to you for your insightful critique. There's no room for improvement if you don't know what needs improvement. I agree with your assessments completely. I know that I have a real problem with form, and your drawing was just exactly what I was looking for. However, I fell somewhat short.

As I become more courageous, I'll post more for everyone's critique.

Thanks again, and I sincerely apologize for the horrendous photography. I'm making arrangements to have a friend of mine who is a professional photographer give me some pointers.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-04-2005, 7:43 AM
You are doing a great job Blake! Your willingness to ask for feedback shows that you are trying to master this craft. You are doing much better than I! :)

Jim Becker
05-04-2005, 9:21 AM
Blake...pick up a book on Southwestern Pottery. That's what Phil Brennion had me do when I discovered I was interested in these forums. The one I have is Southwestern Pottery Anazazi to Zuni by Allan Hayes and John Blom. (ISBN o-87358-656-5) The pictures are grand and there is a lot of nice explanation of the styles, etc., from these experts on the subject. It's easier to envision the forms when you can work from pictures of real objects.

Another great technique is to take scrap or uninspiring wood and just turn small forms for shape...don't bother fully hollowing them, but work on the curves and transitions. After a quick and light sanding to eliminate any unwanted tool marks, spray paint them flat black and put them all on a shelf in your shop so you can stand back and look at the forms without seeing the wood. (A white or light background is helpful since you want to see the shapes of the forms) Pick out what you like and make more, making slight modifications until you have one that's "just the ticket". Then make it in better material and at a larger size. Seriously, I know one turner who does these forms in taiga nuts and when she is done with them, she sells them at shows for $15 apiece... ;)

Blake McCully
05-04-2005, 10:07 AM
...pick up a book on Southwestern Pottery. That's what Phil Brennion had me do when I discovered I was interested in these forums. The one I have is Southwestern Pottery Anazazi to Zuni by Allan Hayes and John Blom. (ISBN o-87358-656-5)

Jim,
Great idea. I'll do just that. We spent four years in Albuquerque, NM in the late 60's and early 70's and fell in love with the culture and the native art. We have very good friends who are Native American, Gary is or was a silversmith and his ex-wife Pearl is a potter. She has pieces in the Smithsonian. I would really like to work more in the SW style, unfortuantely I was working mainly from memory :(

I really like the idea of making smaller "templates" to get down the muscle memory for the form that I want. I will definitely take your advise and will be posting more pics as my technique improves.

As I tell LOML when I complain about what I think is bad about my stuff, I am not really turning for myself, or even potential customers, I'm really turning to get feedback from my peers. Nothing like a good, honest peer review in my estimation.

Jim Becker
05-04-2005, 10:19 AM
As I tell LOML when I complain about what I think is bad about my stuff, I am not really turning for myself, or even potential customers, I'm really turning to get feedback from my peers. Nothing like a good, honest peer review in my estimation.

How can any of us learn without asking others for their insight and experience? The few things that I know I got from others in some way...because I asked. The beauty of a community like this is that we should all be comfortable in saying, "What do your think?" and get honest, yet sensitive answers. The "question" is where you start to learn because without one, there can be no answer(s) or progression. Same goes for trying something new. Unless you do, you don't learn.

In the same vein, it's important not to provide critical input when it's not asked for. That's a rule that applies at another turning forum I visit and it's a good one.

Raymond Overman
05-04-2005, 10:41 AM
I think that it's important that taking skill levels into account, we don't give pat critiques to our peers and I think this has been a perfect example of how to handle such a task.

It's a very nice piece as it is and there was obviously a lot of thought put into the design. The next piece that Blake does will improve because of the comments here but he can be proud of this one as well.

I have a vase that sits in my living room that was one of the first large items I turned. It has a lot of design flaws and technique problems compared to what I'm turning today. That doesn't make me nor my wife like it any less. It's one of three pieces I've turned that will never be sold.

Blake McCully
05-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Amen Raymond,
One thing I like about this forum, is that everybody is so helpful. I have been on other forums that really rip apart other folks work. Constructive critisism is the food from which improvements are made.

Just as an FYI to anyone who reads this, we will be at the swap meet next Saturday and hope to meet a bunch of Creekers then.

Thanks again for everything.