PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of buying a Domino

fRED mCnEILL
02-11-2013, 2:21 AM
I have decided to buy a Domino. But I am undecided whether to get the 500 or the 700.And I know it probably comes down to what you want to do with it. But, seeing as how I can only affort one(barely)I want to get the one that will cover most of what I do which is a little bit of everything including cabinets and doors.. Am I correct in my assumption that the 500 is probably more versatile than the 700 in that with the 700 I won't be able to do the smaller things like cabinet work but on the other hand with the 500 I can do smaller joints and also some bigger ones if I use multiple biscuits.

Regards

Fred.

Victor Robinson
02-11-2013, 3:17 AM
I have decided to buy a Domino. But I am undecided whether to get the 500 or the 700.And I know it probably comes down to what you want to do with it. But, seeing as how I can only affort one(barely)I want to get the one that will cover most of what I do which is a little bit of everything including cabinets and doors.. Am I correct in my assumption that the 500 is probably more versatile than the 700 in that with the 700 I won't be able to do the smaller things like cabinet work but on the other hand with the 500 I can do smaller joints and also some bigger ones if I use multiple biscuits.

Regards

Fred.

Just a FYI, a small third party company (Seneca, makers of the Domiplate) is planning on offering smaller cutters for the 700. That will make the 700 a more versatile option for smaller projects, though size and weight may still be an issue with the bigger machine. Just some food for thought.

Jim Matthews
02-11-2013, 8:03 AM
Are you in a production setting?

If you're building in your shop, a dedicated M&T jig for your router will do most of the same tasks.
If you're working onsite, the Festool is undeniably portable.

I bought a Jessem ZipSlot mortiser and it does what I needed a portable mortiser to do, for less than $100.

Sam Murdoch
02-11-2013, 8:53 AM
I have the 500 and must say I have not tried its big cousin. I have never found the 500 lacking. I use it for cabinetry, furniture pieces and for some exterior doors. I use mostly the 5 and 6mm tenons and less frequently the 8s and 10s. I often combine some sort of joinery in my pieces using the dominos primarily for alignment rather than strictly structural elements. Can't imagine needing bigger but would like to be able to go smaller. Going smaller with the 700 seems challenging just because of the size of the machine itself. If I were in to architectural woodworking I would likely give the 700 a better look. You can try both before committing to a purchase with the Festool 30 trial period warranty.

Matt Meiser
02-11-2013, 10:09 AM
I've got the 500 and there's only a couple things I've done where I needed bigger mortises. Those cases I've either done a quick router jig or done a traditional M&T by wasting away the worst with a fortsner bit and using a chisel to finish the mortise and doing the tenon at the TS and/or BS finished by hand.

Other than architectural work, I think the 700 might be useful for joinery in say a headboard or a dining table base where you have large pieces and large stresses.

I've handled the 700 but not used it. I'd rather make the occasional big mortise by hand than manhandle that thing for smaller projects.

Ted Calver
02-11-2013, 10:12 AM
I just went through the same drill and opted for the 700 since most of my projects use 1" or larger stock. I was glad to hear that Seneca was going to produce smaller cutters and the adapter plate. That gives me the option of going small when needed. There are comparisons on the web--half-inch shy dot com had some good videos, there are others.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-11-2013, 10:28 AM
I bought a 500 around Christmas, and have not actually used it for a project beyond sticking a few random boards together to see who it works. I did spend the weekend designing 4 office suites that are assembled around the 500's capabilities though. I don't intend to use dominos for heirloom type projects, so the 500 was right for me.

Jeff Monson
02-11-2013, 11:07 AM
500 owner also, I've used mine since they came out. I have seldom needed larger mortises. Very versitile machine, I learn new limits of it all the time. I think the 700 is a bit large, but would be on occasion.

Erik Christensen
02-11-2013, 2:45 PM
I have had the 500 since they first came out. Yes I want a 700 but have yet to hit a project where I need a ton of mortises > what the 500 can do - dang it. I found that I have used my 500 more for cabinet case/face frame construction that everything else put together - something the 700 would not really be able to do well or at all.

Thomas Hotchkin
02-11-2013, 3:27 PM
Fred
As others have said the 500 is great, the dust collection is out standing. I'd had one since they first came out, it has been use on almost every project I have built. If i did not already have a JDS Multi-Router, I would be looking at a 700 in place of the multi-router for type of work I do. Tom

Mike Henderson
02-11-2013, 4:20 PM
I have the 500 also and have been satisfied. I wouldn't use a 700 very often. When I do need a bigger mortise I can make it by hand, maybe not as fast as the 700 but fast enough not to spend that much more money.

Mike