PDA

View Full Version : Siegley Hand Planes??

Vince Braddy
02-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Hi, I recently obtained a small collection of Siegley planes. I have a #4, #4.5, #5, a couple #6's, and a #7. I've fettled with them a bit and like their simplicity. Some are in better condition than others but I'd like to clean them up a bit. I don't know that they'll get used a ton, but I do find them interesting. Does anyone know anything about them? I found a little online and the ones I have seem to be made before Stanley purchased them. I've wondered what other sizes there are out there, any block or specialty planes? Any other info is also great. Finally, anyone know what size tap I can use to re-thread a place to screw a tote on the #4.5? Thanks for your help. I've checked this forum out quite a bit but this is my first post. Thanks for having me!

Vince

Mel Miller
02-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Jacob Siegley made pretty much a full line of planes from ~1884 - 1905. There were also some nearly identical planes made by Edwin Hahn after that time. Roger Smith has some information on them in his book: Patented Transitional & Metallic Planes In America.
You will have to measure the tote screw threads on one of the other planes for the size, which may have been a proprietary thread size.

Mel

Trevor Jones
02-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Hi Vince,
That sounds like a nice little collection. If its any help, apart from the early Siegley's pre 1894, they always have the model number of the plane cast into the cap.
The caps on Hahn planes are blank, and the Stanley's have a diamond point pattern on them. Also Siegley didn't use a lever cap.
Siegley made Bench planes in the following sizes:
No. 3 Smooth plane 9 1/4"
No. 4 Smooth plane 10"
No. 5 Jack Plane 14"
No. 6 Jack Plane 15"
No. 7 Smooth Plane 10"
No. 8 Jack Plane 15"
No. 8 Fore Plane 18"
No. 9 Fore Plane 20"
No. 10 Fore Plane 20"
No. 10 Jointer Plane 22"
No. 12 Jointer Plane 24"