PDA

View Full Version : Maple salad bowl

Hayes Rutherford
02-10-2013, 5:15 PM
I have done very little turning since last fall when I starting building a new shop. The project is coming along but I'm still a long way from moving in so out to the cold dungeon it was. Norway maple about 12" diameter with a flattened area on bottom, walnut oil and bees wax. I would have liked the mass a little lower and would like to know what others think. C&C welcome.

Allan Ferguson
02-10-2013, 5:36 PM
Yes, it has been quite a while since I have seen any thing from you and had been wondering about it. Welcome back! Good looking wood. If you got the shape and finish that you wanted, what more could you as. It should be very stable and a practical bowl.

Grant Wilkinson
02-10-2013, 5:38 PM
I think that the shape is pleasing.

Fred Belknap
02-10-2013, 6:42 PM
Very nice and pleasing to the eye, however I think it would be better if the curve would continue into the top rim or the bowl was a little shorter. Everyone has their preferences and there isn't a wrong way to do a bowl if you like it.

Hayes Rutherford
02-11-2013, 9:28 AM
Fred, you zeroed right in on something I'm really having some fun with. After going to Hawaii last year, I really fell for the "calabash" style bowls i was seeing and when I returned, immediately roughed out a bunch of bowls with a calabash end result in mind. During the process I was noticing the subtle difference in roughing for this type of bowl as compared to a more typical out flowing bowl made from a half log. Definitely not as economical when trying to core multiples, more tool work needed in general, more difficult to sand in the end.

Anyway, its nice to be able to check out the "Creek" to see and hear about what others are doing.

Brian Kent
02-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Well Hayes, I like it!

Pat Scott
02-11-2013, 12:36 PM
I like your bowl and I have made a fair number of calabash salad bowls myself. They are crowd pleasers. Nobody says a salad bowl has to flow out.

You're right about coring, you can't get a traditional nested set with 3 or more bowls. The most I'll try for is a 2-bowl set. I remove the center core and shape it individually to try and match the larger bowl. But it ends up quite a bit smaller and the proportions look like I'm missing one of the bowls.

Steve Rost
02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
I like the curve. To each his own.

Nate Davey
02-11-2013, 11:29 PM
That's a lot of salad, very healthy. Beautiful bowl, Hayes!

Thomas Canfield
02-12-2013, 8:52 PM
Looks like a great salad bowl. It should be appreciated when used.

Kathy Marshall
02-12-2013, 9:49 PM
Looks like a great bowl to me Hayes! I think you did a very nice job on the form.

Dan Forman
02-13-2013, 3:38 AM
I like the shape, like the very subtle outward flare at the lip. The bottom gives it a little lift, might look a little squat without that. It would probably look good either way, but nothing wrong with this way. Nice wood too! I think you need to spend more time in the dungeon. :)

Dan