PDA

View Full Version : Used Telephone poles

Kevin Arceneaux
05-03-2005, 5:28 PM
Someone noticed I was back posting and remembered I worked for an utility and sent me a PM concerning getting used poles to use. I thought I would share with all.

First - they do not come from the telephone company, you can get them from your local utility. The Phone company usually pays a pole fee to the utility to use them. The cable company and anyone else who hangs somthing from them pays it also.

So you want a pole? How to get one.

Call your local utility, someone there should be able to direct you to the person you need to talk to. You can also go there and ask. They usually have some they have removed from service due to auto accidents, rotten butts (that's the end that was in the ground), or they needed a bigger pole or drilled to many holes in the top.

Many will give you the old pole, but some may charge you a fee, $0.50/foot is the average. It is cheaper to give them away than have to pay for disposal of them. Most will also cut off the bad end. When you go, take an icepick of a knife. Stick in the pole every few feet or in areas that don't look right to see if there is any rot.

If you are putting this at your house, try to get a creosote pole and do NOT do it in the heat of the summer. They can be messy, but most are old and fairly dried out.

They may have CCA treated poles, they are still legal for utility use. Avoid them if they are for near the house or near where kids play. If they are out in a field or something, they are ok. You can tell a CCA pole from the greenish tint. They are also a lot harder than a creosote treated pole.

You will also need a trailer to get it home, they will not deliver.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-04-2005, 6:45 AM
One of the guys I know gets all of his fence posts from Aliant. They are more than willing to be rid of the old poles. They even cut them into 6 foot lengths for him. They work great for that!

Karl Laustrup
05-04-2005, 7:20 AM
I've been wondering about those poles also. I understand that a lot, if not all, of the poles used in this area are cedar. Any idea, Jeff?

Jeff Sudmeier
05-04-2005, 7:40 AM
Karl, I can't help ya there. All I know is that he uses them to fence in bulls. He put three rows of guardrail(Dented/damaged from the highways) and old telephone posts. He has had some hellish bull fights go on, but never had one break off.