PDA

View Full Version : a few wooden mallets

Tyler A Anderson
02-10-2013, 1:30 PM
Please see a few wooden mallets that I made.

While they weren't all hand tool made, (the carving mallet was done entirely on the lathe) I did some on each by hand. The handles were shaped with a plane and spoke shave.

the smaller mallet is mad from tiger caspi and maple for the head, and oak for the handle.

The large mallet is Birds eye maple and African Mahogany for the handle.

The carving mallet is maple and Mahogany, which is really too soft for a mallet head, but i guess i know that now!!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tylermtech/DSCF0113.jpg

Jim Koepke
02-10-2013, 2:09 PM
Nice work.

A few of my mallets are made of softer woods just because they were what was on hand. They work okay for light tapping work.

Some of my mallets are nothing more than a handle carved into a piece of firewood. Great for whacking a froe.

jtk

Adam Cruea
02-10-2013, 8:36 PM
Nice! I'm thinking of remaking my carpenter's mallet that I destroyed and was going to pin the head like you have, but I wasn't sure how well it would work. Have you had any issues?

Tyler A Anderson
02-10-2013, 9:13 PM
Adam,
I tapered the handle, and also pinned it. I used oak for the pins, and just left them short of the total thickness. I then used a plug cutter and made the plugs from whatever wood I had. I like the look of that and that you don't have the pin end grain showing. I haven't had any issues yet, they seem pretty solid.