PDA

View Full Version : So went to an auction and bought some hand tools...

Robert McNaull
02-09-2013, 11:17 PM
So did I get a good deal? Maybe this should be in the neanderthal forum but seems general but if wrong place, mods please move it. Went to an auction today for a gentleman who passed away who collected an assortment of tools, mostly wrenches and had a decent selection of woodworking tools. I have been woodworking a few years and have very few hand tools for most of my work I use power tools. I am really starting to like doing some work with hand tools and find them very useful in many operations. I have been shopping around for some additional hand planes and good chisels for a while and couldn't help myself today purchase some of these as they seemed reasonably priced versus ebay. Once the Mrs. finds out what I spent today though I may have to unload some of these.

I bought a No 6 and No 7 plane for $20 and $55 respectively. The No 7 seems nice and clean and the iron is useable. The No. 6 is pretty rough, the iron is basically junk and has a fair amount of corrosion under the iron and is missing a screw that fixes the blade carrier and the base. I have a friend who's got a family member who collects and restores hand planes that I think I will have give both of these a makeover, or part out the No 6 if it is beyond repair.

I believe this is a No. 18 Stanley Bailey. I have been shopping for a low angle block plane for a while and this was the nicest of the bunch today. Paid $30 for it and everything seems to function. No cracks and the cap looks in good shape.

Bought the chisels for $10 a piece, the three mortise chisels are Witherby and the 1 1/2" is a Jennings. All are pretty clean and look like they should be easy to tune up.

Last, bought a No. 4 for $20 as well. Has the brass adjustment cap which I believe puts it in the older category. It is clean and has some fresher chips in it but is definitely in need of a sharpening.

I am excited over the purchases of the day and look forward to years of good use!

Thanks for looking!

Bob

Lee Schierer
02-10-2013, 8:49 AM
Those prices seem fair. Once you do some clean up and tuning you should have some good working tools. I have teh same low angle block plane and use it frequently in my shop. You'll like the adjustable blade opening.

Mike Cutler
02-10-2013, 9:40 AM
Looks like a good haul too me. I don't think that #6C is in quite as bad shape as you might believe.;) That's a nice sized plane to have around. If the soles are flat and straight on the #6C and #7C you got some good keepers.
The prices seem fair to me.

tim morris
02-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Bob just curious where you are located? I checked out a huge hand tool auction on Friday that was yesterday and wondered if that is where you found your tools.

Robert McNaull
02-10-2013, 2:18 PM
Tim, on the east side of ames is where the sale was.

I'll have to post a couple more pics of the No 6 and you guys can give me a better grade on it. I don't think I went wrong for $20 on it.