PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Dovetail jig fingers won't stay tight?

Mark R Webster
02-09-2013, 9:15 PM
Anyone had the problem with the fingers on a Leigh Dovetail Jig not staying tight. I am screwing them down very tightly but some of them seem to come loose almost immediately as I begin routing the tails. My jig has sat unused for many years. I am beginning to think that maybe the holddown screw/finger locking assemblies need lubricating? Has anyone actually lubricated these assembies with wd-40 or grease. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Mark

Chris Rosenberger
02-10-2013, 1:05 AM
I have had a similar problem. I put a small amount of 3 in One oil on each finger screw & that solved my problem. Others have said that they ordered new wedges from Leigh.

Randy Rizzo
02-10-2013, 8:53 AM
Anyone had the problem with the fingers on a Leigh Dovetail Jig not staying tight. I am screwing them down very tightly but some of them seem to come loose almost immediately as I begin routing the tails. My jig has sat unused for many years. I am beginning to think that maybe the holddown screw/finger locking assemblies need lubricating? Has anyone actually lubricated these assembies with wd-40 or grease. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Markdo a search, this has been addressed previously. More than likely the wedges will need to be replaced. If you've left it sitting for a couple of years with the finger tightened the wedges have become deformed. You didn't say whether it was a super jig or the D4, I believe the wedges are different depending on model, check your parts manual

Jerry Thompson
02-10-2013, 10:35 AM
I sprayed hair spray on the screws and wedges and no problems since.

Mark R Webster
02-10-2013, 11:47 AM
This jig is from the D series (D1258) but it is about 30 years old. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Each finger is held down with a screw that presses down on a two small pieces of metal that slip to a tighter position. I suppose they could have changed shape over time since several were tightened for years but it seems lubrication could be my first attempt at a solution. I will take a look at the older threads. Thanks again all.
Mark