PDA

View Full Version : Your recommendation on thread chasing - videos, equipment, etc.

Roger Chandler
02-09-2013, 8:52 PM
I came through Roanoke today on my way home from a conference, and stopped in the WoodCraft store.....I almost brought home a set of Robert Sorby thread chasers.........no one in the store could help me with them as far a pointers to get me started......they said the guy who is knowledgeable on this was not working at the time.

The set I looked at was the 12 tpi.......I have heard that the 20 tpi is easier, but I like larger threads as opposed smaller ones........I have even contemplated getting a Baxter threading machine, but not sure I can justify its expense with the amount of things I do.

I was unsure about the tools.......it seemed to me there was supposed to be a male, female and support arm tool, but I did not see the support arm there at the WC. Any info would be appreciated and especially tips on good videos .......thanks everyone!

Harry Robinette
02-09-2013, 9:00 PM
Somewhere on YouTube there's a video from Allen Batty ( Stuarts father) and it's great. Only thing is I can't find it again.

Peter Fabricius
02-09-2013, 9:23 PM
Roger,
If you are really serious about threading, you should take a look at the EZ Threading Jig from the UK.
It is great and not nearly as costly as the others that we all know about.
Seriously, this jig is easy to use and can be ordered with a Nose and a tool post to fit your lathe. It cuts 16tpi threads but can be ordered for other thread sizes as well.
now available from a distributor in NH, USA.

www.threadingjig.com

Peter F.

jerry downey
02-09-2013, 9:26 PM
Roger
Wyoming wood turner has several on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wITRqWhgWsY
Jerry

Aric Krueger
02-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Your lathe will have to be able to slow down to 200-300 rpm for thread chasing.

You will need an inside chaser, outside chaser, relief cutting tool and chasing armrest. (There is one type of chaser that can do both inside and outside, I think made in the U.K., called a uni-chaser)

Videos by Allen Batty (DVD) and Wyoming Woodturner (youtube) are good. Also check John Berkley.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wyoming+woodturner+thread+cha sing&oq=wyoming+woodturner+thread+chasing&gs_l=youtube-reduced.12...11291.25409.0.28133.33.23.0.10.10.0.2 49.2714.12j9j2.23.0...0.0...1ac.1.JMlnY9U8K20

http://www.johnberkeley.co.uk/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i73lWmUO9gQ

You can make your own armrest easily enough. Typically they have a 7-8" 'blade' and a 14-16" handle; whatever fits you. Woodturnerscatalog.com has these tools. I made my own and it works fine. You'll also find yourself using it for other operations other than thread chasing. It often times can eliminate the need to reposition the tool rest for certain operations speeding up your production time.

20 tpi is easier to learn because it is a slower motion. i.e. more revolutions to go the same distance. 12 tpi zips along the length pretty fast at the same rpm and may bottom out stripping the threads until you get used to the motions of hand thread chasing. RPM can only be varied so much. Too slow can result in a "drunken thread" that doesn't work and too fast makes it easy to strip out the threads.

Not all woods lend themselves to thread chasing. The best are dense, tight grained/pored wood. CA glue can be used to 'beef up' some woods for thread chasing. Also, inserts of suitable wood can be used in an object made of unsuitable wood. An example would be using ebony, lignum vitae, boxwood or alternative ivory inserts into an alder vessel.

Hope that helps a little.

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I have Allen Batty's DVD. Sorby has a video on using them. There are good one's listed above on Youtube. I have the 16 tpi which works well.

Richard Jones
02-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Mike Mahoney has a good segment on threading in one of his DVD's. From what I can learn, the 16tpi is a good place to start. The ones I bought from Craft Supplies came with some info and they also have a DVD from Allen Batty. Practice, practice, practice. I really thought long and hard about the Klein jig, but decided to learn the hand technique. Something about the traditional method that's always fascinated me. Tough to learn, but if someone else can do it, so can I........

Richard Jones
02-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Roger,

i have a set of 20 tip that you are welcome to borrow, along with the literature that came with it. Let me know.

Rich

Roger Chandler
02-10-2013, 1:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses and offers of help! I have had such a hectic week and so many things going on I have not had time to even respond to a post I made an inquiry in last evening.........I won't be able to seriously look at all this and my other thread for a couple of days, but I surely hope many of you will continue to give input!

I am most grateful!