PDA

View Full Version : New CBN and new Robo Rest

Phil Rose
02-09-2013, 6:02 PM
OMG! If I had known what a difference this pair would make in my turning I'd have plunged a LONG time ago.

Sharp edge that holds. I am in awe at what it did to help my work.

Brian Kent
02-09-2013, 7:25 PM
Phil, I just glanced at a video with that pair. Can you do a fingernail grind with the Robo Rest?

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2013, 7:32 PM
I love mine to. If I knew I would have bought long ago. Yes Brian you can put a fingernail grind easily.

Ralph Lindberg
02-09-2013, 8:14 PM
Phil, I just glanced at a video with that pair. Can you do a fingernail grind with the Robo Rest?

Yes, but you have to swing it and know what you are doing, there is no "jig" involved.

If you want to see a simple way, look at the D-Way videos on sharpening and notice that Dave can use a wood block has a brace for his hands and does it that way.

Me, I'm not that good and 99% of the time I use a jig

David Brimm
02-10-2013, 1:13 PM
Those Robo Rests look pretty awesome, where can you get them? What's the price on them?

Ralph Lindberg
02-10-2013, 1:27 PM
Those Robo Rests look pretty awesome, where can you get them? What's the price on them?

Contact Reed Gray on this forum (Robo Hippy on many others) as it is his product

David Brimm
02-10-2013, 2:04 PM
Will do, thanks!

Reed Gray
02-10-2013, 2:27 PM
I am trying to convert more turners to platform sharpening. It really is simple, and I do show it on one of my You Tube clips.

The finger nail grind, which I tend to think of as the 40/40 grind that Stuart Batty and Mike Mahoney use, is maybe medium difficulty. Scrapers and spindle roughing gouges are also pretty simple. With any sweep, you have to rotate the flutes sideways (from straight up and down, to all the way over on the side/90 degrees) as you pivot the gouge to the side. There are two etched lines at 40 degrees on the platform. You hold the tool the same way as you do when you turn, and move with your body, just the same way. The swept back grinds are a bit more difficult.

robo hippy

David Brimm
02-11-2013, 2:58 PM
Hi Reed,

I tried sending you a message regarding the availability and price of a Robo Rest but not sure if it went through. At any rate I'm interested, if possible get back to me when you have a chance.

Thanks!
Dave

Phil Rose
02-11-2013, 6:47 PM
I've been practicing a LOT. The YouTube videos from Reed help a lot ..getting better at that fingernail grind with every try. I love the idea of simply setting the angle and making the grind. I no longet think about a few more minutes before I grind ... I just grind.