PDA

View Full Version : Minimax shaper

mreza Salav
02-09-2013, 5:51 PM
I have a shaper (identical to Grizzly 3HP model) that I restored and have been looking for a power feeder for it (have not had nor used a shaper before).
There is a Minimax T50 that is for sale with a 4-wheel General Int. feeder that is 3-4 thousand km's away from me.
From the pictures (below) it looks complete and in good shape but I'm thinking by the time I get it to my place it would be a very expensive machine.
I am not a pro but I like the setup and since I might be building entry door/kitchen cabinets in a year or two for our house I am thinking of getting it.
I have a minimax machine and know their quality but don't know much about this particular machine. What's a reasonable price for a set up like this
in this shape?

MiniMax T50 shaper, 4.8 HP, 220 volt, single phase.
Tilting spindle head.
1.25" and .75" spindles.
Sliding table.
Pull out extension supports on left and right ends.
Cross cut fence with miter gauge and clamp.
Tenon plate and tenon hood.
Side extension table.
Original tool set.
Original manuals.
General 1 HP, 220 volt, single phase, four wheel power feeder.

J.R. Rutter
02-09-2013, 6:13 PM
$3500? I bought / sold some T40N shapers for <$2000 ea, which is my only frame of reference. Above $3500, you can get into a T110 that will be heavier.

David Kumm
02-09-2013, 6:29 PM
Maybe Erik will chime in. I think the T50 was a little lighter than the Felder 700. Looks to be in great shape as most hobby shapers are. In US I would guess 3-4K, maybe a touch more to someone who wants single phase as there aren't many options out there. The extra spindle, tenoning plate and hood add about 500 and the feeder 400-500 so you might stretch it a little to 4500. Lots of three phase machines are available at that range but then Felder is the only real competition in the single phase world. Dave

Erik Loza
02-09-2013, 6:50 PM
Mreza, what's the seller asking for it, out of curiosity?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

mreza Salav
02-09-2013, 7:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. Asking price is $3200, the seller might be a member on this forum too.
I am guessing the crate could be 900-1000lb (?). Have to get some quotes to see how much would it cost to ship it. If it was local I would buy it; the shipping might make it too much
(I have bought both my Minimax J/P as well as Griggio bandsaw long distance and had them shipped!).

Peter Quinn
02-09-2013, 7:23 PM
I'd be thinking $3500-$4000 US would be the range in good condition depending on the sellers motivation. Only draw back is the hood. Single sided adjustment, outfeed fence only moves, who ever thought that was a good idea? Not the end of the world, fine machine in most other ways. Its a whole lot more machine than the grizzly for sure if it fits in your plans or the price is right. I paid $900 for a 3 phase t40 in stellar condition, older model, no slider or feeder, and a bit smaller than the t50.

David Kumm
02-09-2013, 7:44 PM
Mreza, I'm thinking you must have to ship everything to where you are located. Off the beaten track. If you can get to your door at 4K and it is the machine you want you shouldn't worry about the last few hundred $$. Can't overpay for the right machine or buy the wrong one cheap enough. I've gotten used to the outfeed only fence as both Felder and SCMI are that way. Would be nice if it indexed off the table for removal but not a deal breaker. Looks like an 8 speed feeder too. Dave

Stephen Cherry
02-09-2013, 7:55 PM
If you want a tilting spindle with a sliding table, you may want to leap in; these do not come up very often. Looks like the condition is pristine.

Peter Quinn
02-09-2013, 7:58 PM
Mreza, I'm thinking you must have to ship everything to where you are located. Off the beaten track. If you can get to your door at 4K and it is the machine you want you shouldn't worry about the last few hundred $$. Can't overpay for the right machine or buy the wrong one cheap enough. I've gotten used to the outfeed only fence as both Felder and SCMI are that way. Would be nice if it indexed off the table for removal but not a deal breaker. Looks like an 8 speed feeder too. Dave

The thing that annoys me with the minimax fence is that all the machining appears to be there to MAKE the thing double micro adjustable. I actually pulled the parts of the outfeed fence, put them on the infeed fence and tried it. Works great. So I tried to order a set of the missing parts. Not for sale. ARRGH. I'm very used to the dual adjustment thing, its built into how I work for lots of set ups. For many others its easily worked around or irrelevant, but why not include it for the few hundred extra dollars it might add to the tool? I don't have the money to dump on it presently, but I considered buying a Felder 240 fence for my minimax, seemed to be the least expensive hood actually available as a separate unit. Looks like both sides adjust. Are you using a 220 fence or an older version? Or is the 240 in fact not dual adjustable? Peter

For fairness I should add the minimax fence does a beautiful job with dust extraction, they sure got that aspect right.

mreza Salav
02-10-2013, 7:28 PM
I was going to get some shipping quotes tomorrow morning and the seller had agreed to crate it for me; this afternoon he notified me that it is now sold.
I am sure it was everything I'd ever want in a shaper and I'd never outgrow it but I understand it's also easier for the seller to sell it locally.

David Kumm
02-10-2013, 7:32 PM
I was going to get some shipping quotes tomorrow morning and the seller had agreed to crate it for me; this afternoon he notified me that it is now sold.
I am sure it was everything I'd ever want in a shaper and I'd never outgrow it but I understand it's also easier for the seller to sell it locally.

Hopefully not by anyone who read about it here. That would be tacky. There is always another machine so good luck. Dave

Peter Quinn
02-10-2013, 8:24 PM
Sorry to hear it, looked like a fine machine. Do keep your spirits up. I looked for years for mine, it found me when I had almost quit looking for used. I really like the stout but compact format of the minimax line up. Fell in love with the t-40 the minute I saw it, still a pleasure to use every time. Best wishes for your search.

Stephen Cherry
02-10-2013, 10:52 PM
One thing is for sure, there will always be other deals coming up, some better, some worse. I look back over the last few years and think about the machines I "could have bought", and sometimes I kick myself in the buttocks. BUT, I do have lots of nice toys, at prices that allow me to pay without loosing my shirt if my plans change.