PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do woodworking to serve others?

Tom Jones III
05-03-2005, 3:52 PM
I saw the post earlier today about building a table to go into the church foyer. Does anyone else use their woodworking to serve others (besides family)?

Dave Bonde
05-03-2005, 4:08 PM
Sure lots - the Freedom Pen Project right here is a good example. A couple other recent examples: I made a couple of items for a benefit auction to help a young father that lost his wife in their daughters delivery, and a display case for my schools front entrance. Dave

Brian Lindenlaub
05-03-2005, 4:19 PM
I just finished helping build a new pinewood derby track for our local cub scout pack. Life doesn't get much better than doing what you enjoy, with a good bunch of people, for a good cause.

Brian

Frank Pellow
05-03-2005, 4:36 PM
I do some work with Habit for Humanity. Some of the "construction" there could be considered to be "woodworking".

Scott Coffelt
05-03-2005, 4:38 PM
- Habitat for Humanity
- Christmas in October
- Etc.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-03-2005, 4:57 PM
I have done work for Habitat for humanity. I would like to get a peice ready for the Church's Fall auction, but I don't know that I will get it done.

Hal Flynt
05-03-2005, 5:17 PM
Habitat for humanity.

I am building a colonial corner cupboard for and elder and his wife.

John Hart
05-03-2005, 5:24 PM
I make things for classrooms of kids....like birdhouse kits, easter stuff, souveniers for "pretend trips"...stuff that the teachers need but don't have money for.

Keith Outten
05-03-2005, 6:03 PM
Community Service is a good thing and time spent helping others is always rewarded tenfold.

I have wondered since the Freedom Pens Project has been so successfull why other members of SMC haven't done something simular. I know that making pens for the Military isn't everyone's cup of tea but toys for sick children or some kind of project for the elderly would have been great projects.

Anyone who is willing to be the driving force behind a community service program and would like a Forum here at SawMill Creek will be welcomed and will have the support of our Staff. Our members have already proven that they will stand behind a worthy project, all we need are leaders who are dedicated and willing to volunteer their time.

Step up to the plate folks and make a difference, use your energy and talent to help those in need. Just imagine what an organization of over 4,600 woodworkers could accomplish :)
Could we make 500 rocking animals to donate to childrens hospitals?

Over 34,490 pens were given as gifts last year to some very homesick people and we are over 6,000 pens received this year.

lou sansone
05-03-2005, 6:13 PM
sure

I teach youngsters ww, build furniture for special needs of folks who have lost loved ones, ect. It is always more blessed to give than receive

lou

Charlie Knauer
05-03-2005, 7:03 PM
I do a little woodworking, some carpentry and since I am an electrician by trade some electric at our local Boy Scout camp. I have been doing this for about 16 years. Its a great experience.:) :)

Dave Wright #2
05-03-2005, 8:47 PM
A lot of the woodworking I do is community service. The "clients" are very appreciative. I am usually reimbursed for materials but donate all my time plus any materials that come out of shop stock. The projects, sometimes as leader of a team, have included handicapped ramps, a dock, bookshelf units, and fundraiser art. Last Fall I built an outdoor kiosk for announcements at the school. Just last weekend I finished installation of a work counter and storage unit for my church food bank. I also design and prepare woodworking project kits for my cub scout den. I am currently discussing options for a work/checkout counter for the school. Might be worth mentioning that the school is a small private one associated with our church. Most of the parents are very active in the programs and facility.

If family counts as community then the list is even longer. We have found that family gatherings are more interesting when there's a project to put everyone shoulder-to-shoulder. The largest was a long set of wooden steps that connected my mother-in-law's house to her garden down the hill. Lots of fun.

John Shuk
05-03-2005, 9:22 PM
Keith,
I happen to be on a committee that raises money for a Children's hospital. I recently started on this and have wondered if something could be started in this vein. Another idea for people to get interested in is Children's museums. The opportunities for a woodworker are endless there and the opportunity to get a little wacky and impractical with design are really there. I am in NY. If there are people willing to try to come up with ideas for the Children's hospital here in Westchester County I would love to work something out. I just don't know what. I am glad this topic came up because I want to take my woodworking in this direction. Sorry if I am rambling but I'm sort of excited.
John

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-03-2005, 9:35 PM
The last things I have made are a sign and a special lectern for a small church.

Howard Rosenberg
05-03-2005, 10:30 PM
In time for every Christmas, I make about two dozen simple toys out of pine and bring them to Hospital for Sick Children here in Toronto.
My two boys have been helping me deliver them since 2000.
I love knowing that I might have cheered up a little one while they're in the hospital.
Howard

Earl Reid
05-03-2005, 11:52 PM
my wife and I have been involved in projects for many years, making items for
the special needs of many children and adults. Most involved therapy modalities. Some of these items were quite complicated and took many days and some time weeks to make.
I have done some church remodling,etc. I helped build a fire truck for our town back in the 50s. Now the grand kids and the pen project keep me going.
Earl :) :) :)

Dan Owen
05-04-2005, 1:12 AM
I get more satisfaction out of giving or donating my work to someone or some organization than receiving a mere pentence from some worldly cheapskate who hasn't a clue about a well built piece of furniture. The thrill and appreciation I see in some of my receiving customers is imprinted in my mind forever and worth more than all the $$$ in the world. Well maybe not all the money. Anyway, you know what I mean.

Arnie Grammon
05-04-2005, 5:44 AM
I get more satisfaction out of giving or donating my work to someone or some organization than receiving a mere pentence from some worldly cheapskate who hasn't a clue about a well built piece of furniture. The thrill and appreciation I see in some of my receiving customers is imprinted in my mind forever and worth more than all the $$$ in the world. Well maybe not all the money. Anyway, you know what I mean.

Yes I do......and I couldn't said it better myself.

As you all know, service-oriented giving can be one of life's most enjoyable pursuits. It is one of life's interesting twists.........the more you give of your time, experience, and knowledge, the more enjoyable the journey. It is not about me.

Arnie

Tom Jones III
05-04-2005, 7:55 AM
Thanks guys, that's a lot of encouragement. Somehow I knew that would be the response I got from this forum.

On my side, I've made 4 podiums with built in sound systems and given them to homeless shelters and an ESL/after school program. Special construction projects for the homeless shelter. right now I'm finishing up a couple demi-lune tables to give to younger couples that are just starting out and can't afford good furniture. Habitat when I can and more often our church's house maintenance program.

One of my recent favorites, I used my American Express points to get a $200 gift certificate to Home Depot and secretly gave it to a young couple that works in our church's mission department. They obviously don't make much money and they are very responsible with the money they do get. They have been saving up for a very long time to buy new carpet from HD, and just missed getting a great sale price. Now, their new carpet gets installed next week.

I'm turning over an idea right now for a Christmas project. I'll probably ask for opinions once I've got it more concrete.

Lee Schierer
05-04-2005, 12:54 PM
I feel much of my woodworking talent is God given, therefore, he gets a share of things I've made for his house.

I've made hymn number boards, candle lighter handles, placques, modified a lectern and podium, made a vent cover, a prayer request box, a ballot box, a privacy screen, refinished a baptismal lid, and a deacons bench.

I've also made items for fund raisers at the church.

Habitat has also seen some of my carpentry and general labor skills.

Steve Knowlton
05-04-2005, 1:03 PM
I Love To Give My Stuff Away Verses Being Paid. I Do Turning Demonstrations At Schools To Show Youngsters What Is Available For Hobbys. My 2 Sons Also Do The Demos. I Also Head Up The Freedom Pen Project For Our Turning Club.

Alan Turner
05-04-2005, 3:09 PM
Over the years I have made a number of items for sale at charitable auctions/fundraisers. A donated hearthbench for a new art school is on the agenda for this week. And, like others, I have worked at times with Habitat. I would think that most serious WW have done similar things; it seems part of our culture. WW is a community-sort of activity.

Jim Stastny
05-04-2005, 5:28 PM
I've made a lecturn for my church, a literature wagon for another church, and I've done some specialty projects for friends (at no cost)