PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for workbench build error

Raymond Clark
02-09-2013, 5:22 PM
Hey guys,

This is my first post, but I love these forums for how helpful and friendly they are. I am currently building a Chris Schwarz "Holtzapffel" style workbench, and I've run into a problem I'm hoping somebody will have a suggestion that might solve it. On this style workbench, which has 3 1/2" thick top and 5"x 4" legs, the legs are supposed to be flush with the front face of the benchtop. I drawbore assembled the base and used it to lay out where the mortises for the leg tenons would be cut into the underside of the top. My hand-chopped mortises came out really nice, so a friend and I dropped the base onto the top (upside down) to dry fit AND...the front face of the legs extend beyond the front face of the top by 1/16"!

So, now I have a dilemma. I can widen the mortises to shift the base 1/16", but that makes for pretty loose mortises. Or, I can use my big jointer plane to shave 1/16" off of the front legs and the runner (ugh).

Is there any other way to fix this?

Raymond
San Marcos, CA

Paul F Franklin
02-09-2013, 5:29 PM
We've all been there! Can you trim one face of the tenons, and glue on a couple pieces of veneer on the opposite tenon face to take up the slop?

Paul F.
Richfield OH.

Raymond Clark
02-09-2013, 5:32 PM
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Might just work. Would face veneer (which is pretty thin) be sufficient you think, or should I (as you suggest) shave off more of the tenon face and add a thicker veneer?

Roy Harding
02-09-2013, 5:50 PM
I like Paul's solution.

Another suggestion, along the same lines, is to simply trim the tenon as Paul suggests, and then use a wedge to take out the slop in the joint. The glue strength of a mortise/tenon joint resides in the glue on the FACES of the tenon/mortise - so you wouldn't be sacrificing any strength, and it might prove easier to do.

Just a thought.

Raymond Clark
02-09-2013, 5:55 PM
I've been looking more at the veneer option, and it seems the most workable. The wedge idea would be great except that I have no access to the joint once the top is dropped on the base - these aren't through-tenons. Looks like I have some work ahead of me.

John Coloccia
02-09-2013, 7:10 PM
Why not just stick a 1/16" piece of "trim" on the front? If you use contrasting wood, all the better.

Paul F Franklin
02-09-2013, 8:30 PM
If all you need is 1/16, then one piece of pretty much any veneer will be pretty close. Most is 1/28 some even thinner. I don't think species matters a bit in this case; with big tenons like those you're not going to crush it. You could put two pieces on (think of it as making a little piece of 2 ply plywood) and then sand for a good fit, but given they are hidden, I'd probably put one piece on and call it good.

Playing off Roy's suggestion for a wedge, you could kerf the tenons and use a blind wedge that is seated by the top, but to me that would be a scary job to get it all right on all four tenons. The veneer solution can be dry fitted until all is just as you want it.

Good luck and post a photo of your bench when it's done...

Raymond Clark
02-09-2013, 8:42 PM
Well, I cut the tenons down with my shoulder plane, dry fitted some thin veneer, and assembled it all - worked like a charm! Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'll make sure to post the finished product. It's going to take me a while to install the front and end vises. I've learned so much during this build, and it's been a ton of fun.

Matt Day
02-09-2013, 9:29 PM
I just put the benchtop on my holzappfel today too. Sounds like you got it figured out, but I'm just going to attach the top with a lag bolt on each end. The top is heavy enough IMO.
I've done the veneer trick too and it works great.
Glad you got it worked out for you.

Knight Hidalgo
02-10-2013, 10:23 AM
A workbench is considered as an obligatory to have when it comes to woodworking, but lot of us have some problems to come up with a great workbench.

Jim Matthews
05-18-2013, 6:28 AM
A stout dowel, set 2/3 the thickness of the top, into both the stretcher and the top should be enough if the bored holes align.

A little double sided foam tape along the stretchers would even out any tendency to rock.

Taper the dowel where it faces up to make assembly easier.