PDA

View Full Version : Question on magnetic starter overload relay setting

Bob Vavricka
02-09-2013, 12:04 PM
I removed the magnetic starter switch from a Delta Shaper I purchased used and when looking at the installation instructions it states to Set the MAN-AUTO setting on the overload relay to AUT. It was set to manual when I removed it. What is the difference between the manual and auto setting? Any idea why it would have been set to manual?

Rod Sheridan
02-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Hi Bob, in the AUTO setting it will automatically reset after an overload.

In the MAN position you have push a reset button to allow the starter to operate again.

I personally would rather have it in Manual, even though the starter itself won't restart the motor in AUTO. (You still have to push the start button in both cases)...........Rod.

Bob Vavricka
02-09-2013, 5:40 PM
Hi Bob, in the AUTO setting it will automatically reset after an overload.

In the MAN position you have push a reset button to allow the starter to operate again.

I personally would rather have it in Manual, even though the starter itself won't restart the motor in AUTO. (You still have to push the start button in both cases)...........Rod.

Thanks, Rod. I thought that might be the difference, but not knowing I was reluctant to change it. I think I will leave it in manual. I can't imagine needing to reset it very often.