PDA

View Full Version : NH 3400 Graphics Problem

Richard De Wilde
02-09-2013, 8:44 AM
I need help! I bought a New Hermes 3400 Engraver with software, used. It has the `HPGL' add-on in the software. I bought it to do hobby work, and it does text very nice. But I want to make my own .lgo files for engraving. Does anyone have instructions for the `Opensys HPGL' or can tell me step-by-step what to do. I draw in autocad, and can save to a .plt file. Thanks

Mike Null
02-10-2013, 9:26 AM
Richard

Welcome to SMC. I purchased that machine many years ago and encountered numerous problems, not the least of which was such horrific response from New Hermes/Gravograph that I have never forgiven them. Fortunately I sold the machine for a few bucks more than I paid. My recollection is that you have to use Win 95 or something nearly that old to operate it. Sorry I can't be of help.

Richard De Wilde
02-10-2013, 9:36 AM
Thanks for the comments. I am running it with Win95. I seem to be finding that the problem may be that I need a plot program from that era. But, not being certain of the right proceedure intended to produce the .lgo file, I am searching the dark. Thanks again for your input.

Mark Sipes
02-10-2013, 12:04 PM
You might have luck trying to contact Fred at http:// q1engravers . com Quality One cares repair parts and Fred is old school.

Richard De Wilde
02-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the comment. But, I talked to Fred Last week, and he had no patience with me. He wanted technical answers which could not be answered unless the question I was asking was answered and understood first. So to get rid of me, he said he would have to start a job ticket to talk to me further, starting at fifty dollars.

q1engravers has gotten $800 buisnes out of me in the last two months. If thats the way they treat customers I think its time to do business elsewhere.

But I am sure you are right, I do think Fred knows the business.

Mark Sipes
02-11-2013, 5:03 PM
Does the 3400 use an EP module...... Looking in Engrave lab for an equal driver that is not DOS based.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GxbHyJVFIY this vid might have a link to help you.......

Mike Null
02-11-2013, 5:16 PM
Mark

The 3400 is an old and small machine and in my judgment would not justify the expense of Engravlab. It is not likely to work without other expensive work as well.

The reason I was able to get my money out of mine was the buyer wanted the control module as a back up to the one he had.

Mark Sipes
02-11-2013, 5:28 PM
Hey I didn't buy a machine that was 18 years old and expect it to work . The specs say that the firmware accepts HPGL format files. Corel should work then ...... ?

Mike Null
02-11-2013, 5:52 PM
Mark

I suspect that the hpgl/Corel issue is related to Win 95. I never could get Corel to work even after their tech charged me a lot of money.

Richard De Wilde
02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Mike

I think your suspicion about compatability is where the answer is going to lay.

Not being sure of how to invoke the HPGLCON (ie proceedure from dxf to lgo) I am searching in the dark. At present, I believe HPGLCON requires a PLT file from at pen plotter file of that vintage, which used the HPGL format. Houston Instruments was one. If you have any help or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Mike Null
02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Richard

I was completely stymied and so was the ex New Hermes tech guy I hired. I gave up on it.

Mark Sipes
02-12-2013, 1:35 PM
has to be more than just the file format. DXF, PLT I have Corel 5, 9, and 16 and the Newing-Hall (1996 vintage) has no problem accepting either format. Now if the files needs to be converted to .LGO prior, then it may be a conversion issue and I am sure (there must be) someone out there that is still runing the software. Have you tried Roy Brewer @ Engraving Concepts (817) 460-8122....another old school tech rep.

Might try this forum.... http://www.cnczone.com/forums/engraving_machines/

Richard De Wilde
02-12-2013, 2:12 PM
Mark

Thanks for the ref. to Roy. I don't know him yet, but I wrote down his ref.

I have just succeeded in getting an HP Vector plot drv loaded into my acad plot directory (talk about pains). Now I need to reconfigure autocad. But other responsibilities are dragging me away.

If I don't make progess on this path, I will contact Roy tomorow. Thanks

Richard De Wilde
02-13-2013, 3:51 PM
Congrads to me, I did it. I solved the HPGL conversion problem. 1. draw DXF file. 2. Plot to file from HPGL plotter of that vintage (SHPGL) in Autocad 2002 works. 3. Run HPGLCON (specify exact location of .PLT file). If all goes well you will create an .ejo file in the jobs directory, and an .lgo file in the fonts directory.

Note: This would not work except at DOS level. A DOS window created by Windows explorer did not work. Also, although you can egrave all day long with your dongle stuck in a drawer, HPGLcon will not convert a file unless the dongle is present while converting.

You can buy the dongle from Q1engravers for $200 dollars.

Mike Null
02-13-2013, 4:17 PM
Richard

Indeed congrats to you. You pulled off the impossible. Everybody told me that was a rugged little machine but being computer challenged as I am it was more than I could handle.

Richard De Wilde
02-13-2013, 9:13 PM
Mike,

I appreciate the congrads.