PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out what to use to attach

Horace Ketchens
02-08-2013, 9:01 PM

I am trying to figure out what to use to attach items to wood. I want to attach marbles, glass, and other items
to wood. I make crosses and other items and want to embelish them.
I thought grout might work but not sure. I am going to try and post a couple of photos for you to look at.
The photos are NOT mine and are used only to show the material used to attach the items to the wood.
I would really appreciate any suggestions.

I fell last April and broke my wrist in two places. They put a plate in it on May 1st. I still have no feeling in my
fingers. So I am looking to do wood working as a way to make a living as best that I can.
Thank YOU in Advance,
Horace

Andrew Fleck
02-08-2013, 9:20 PM
You could attach the glass or tile with mastic and then grout the joints. Just like a kitchen back splash. I think that would look nice for what your trying to do.

Ed Aumiller
02-08-2013, 10:14 PM
5 minute epoxy

Keith Westfall
02-09-2013, 6:20 PM
JB Weld will do it.

nancy barry
02-11-2013, 7:24 AM
if the items you are making are independant of the wood, you could drill some holes in the substrate of the form and plug with a dowel so that the hole remains after you make the mosaic. Once the mosaic is ready to attach to the wood, use wood screws and then fill over the holes with some grout. I have used this method successfully.

hth

Greg Portland
02-11-2013, 4:20 PM

I am trying to figure out what to use to attach items to wood. I want to attach marbles, glass, and other items
to wood. I make crosses and other items and want to embelish them.
I thought grout might work but not sure. I am going to try and post a couple of photos for you to look at.
The photos are NOT mine and are used only to show the material used to attach the items to the wood.
I would really appreciate any suggestions.

I fell last April and broke my wrist in two places. They put a plate in it on May 1st. I still have no feeling in my
fingers. So I am looking to do wood working as a way to make a living as best that I can.
Thank YOU in Advance,
Horace
Grout is NOT an adhesive... you'd want something like thinset mortar and then grout around it. However, I'd 2nd the epoxy recommendation for the adhesive. Maybe experiment with wood dust + epoxy for the filler (or try different grouts)? They now sell an epoxy/flexible grout that is more expensive but less prone to cracking.

Horace Ketchens
02-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone for replying to my question. I will try some of the things and see which work the best.
I knew grout is NOT an adhesive, but I just was sure if it might hold them in place like it does the bathroom
tiles. I will let everyone know what happens when I make them.
Please, keep sending any ideas that you might have. I will try some of them as best I can.
THANK YOU AGAIN,
Horace

Gordon Eyre
02-13-2013, 11:25 AM
These crosses appear to be slightly elevated off the wood backing. I think I would try four dots of hot melt glue and then quickly set the cross on the glue and push down slightly. This is easy and quick. Of course you would need to build the cross on a metal backing or some other type material.