PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening router bits

Ole Anderson
02-08-2013, 6:33 PM
I'm in the middle of routing Hickory raised panels for my kitchen and am on pass 3 of 5 with a Summerfield horizontal raised panel bit. I am getting a lot of fuzz on the end cuts and generally feel like the bit is in need of sharpening as I am getting more chip out than I would like. I've had the bits about 8 years and have done about 50 panels to date in Oak, Hickory and MDF. How often do they need sharpening and how do you normally do it, touch up with a diamond file or send them out to a sharpening service? We wouldn't think of sharpening our own carbide saw blades, but I would be nervous sending them out not knowing how well they will do it and will they end up changing the profile?

Chip Lindley
02-08-2013, 7:24 PM
A DMT Diamond File in the fine grit 6 inch size is great for sharpening router bits. Hold the flat surface of the bit against the sharpener, and count equal strokes on both wings. I have touched up many bits this way and can certainly tell the difference.

~~Chip~~

Jim Neeley
02-08-2013, 8:45 PM
Ole,

As with forestners, all sharpening should be done on the front of the cutter, with none on the "edge" of the bit. Otherwise you'll soon have a bit that won't cut.

Ole Anderson
02-17-2013, 8:45 AM
I picked up a folding DMT fine diamond file, tried it and it really made a difference. Less fuzz on the end cuts and less force to push the wood through the bit. And less chip out on bad grain. But they are a bit difficult to use, trying to keep the file flat on a small piece of carbide. And while using it and inspecting the bits carefully, I saw a couple of small chips on the corners of the carbide, thankfully only on one wing. Thanks guys.

Carl Beckett
02-17-2013, 8:54 AM
Ok enlighten me:

Exactly how do I 'touch up' a router bit? In this case a raised panel bit. Bring the entire face of the cutting surface down? I have had one sharpened a couple times with a service and they reprofile it.

glenn bradley
02-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Ok enlighten me:

Exactly how do I 'touch up' a router bit? In this case a raised panel bit. Bring the entire face of the cutting surface down? I have had one sharpened a couple times with a service and they reprofile it.

I touch up my bits all the time. A small diamond "stick" set (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2414&site=ROCKLER)will do fine. There is generally plenty of flat face to use as a reference. I stroke away from the cutting edge as access is easier. Two or three swipes per face, as needed, can extend the interval between trips to the sharpener by quite a bit.

Tom Walz
02-18-2013, 11:17 AM
As they said - flat against the carbide. Do not round the eges.

I like the DMT or EZE-LAP with plastic handles.