PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Robert Sorby Box Hollower #803H? ?

Jack Gaskins
02-08-2013, 3:59 PM
Looking for feedback on the RS Box Hollower 803H. It came out last year. Trying to figure out if I should try it or the regular RS Box Scraper 829? I am going to hollow some 3x3 inch boxes and will use a bowl or spindle gouge to scope out the middle then switch to the Hollower/Scraper to finish up the sides and bottm. Just looking for some feedback on the hollower.

Thanks, Jack

Kyle Iwamoto
02-08-2013, 6:44 PM
I got one, but I think I got it well over a year ago. Fairly disappionted, as I was thinking it would perform miracles. But it's just a scraper. You can move the cutter so you can get some odd angled sides, and still get a corner at the bottom of the box. (That was the main reason I got it. Semi-closed form box) Which brings up a real hard problem, how to sand that odd shape/size corner....... So, I continue to make rounded corners, which are easier to sand. I use it occasionally, only because I have it. I recently made a batch of 80+ tea lights, and that comes in handy to clean up the bottom after the forstner. Not something I would really reccomend. Sorry Sorby. Just my $0.02.

Jack Gaskins
02-08-2013, 7:38 PM
Thanks for the info Kyle. I was also looking at the box scraper by Serious tool works. Its 3/8ths thick and $90 unhandled! HUM,,,dont know....maybe one of the elcheap box scrapers from Pennstate Industries they are only $20.

Thom Sturgill
02-08-2013, 7:40 PM
I have never been too impressed with the Sorby scraper tips.

I just bought a Thompson scraper and reground the end into a similar shape as he grinds for Jimmy Clewes. Mine is not as heavy. Grind the left edge back at an angle about 1 1/2" maybe 10 degrees . Grind the end back at 90 degrees to the new angle and then after about 1/4" grind it back in an arc to the opposite side. All of these edges are then undercut with a 70-80 degree grind.

One corner works for box corners, the short square for the bottom and the rounded corner for outside. I love the cut it produces. I sharpen with a rolled burr not a grinder burr. I was using a Sorby heavy duty scraper with a slightly rounded end that I sharpened about 1" back from the end on the left side.

Michael Stafford
02-08-2013, 7:42 PM
I much prefer a square scraper. Of course my square scraper is not really square as only the leftmost 1/8" or so is square and the rest is ground slightly away from that corner so that catches are minimized. I also find that relieving the left hand side of the scraper so that it is at less than 90 degrees to provide clearance is a good idea. I like to hone the left side and top with a diamond hone to get that left corner as sharp as possible. Doing so reduces or eliminates the need for any sanding on the bottom of boxes with square insides.

Harry Robinette
02-08-2013, 9:29 PM
I have a set of Box scrapers from Crown 1/4" and 3/8" there round with the angled cutter about 1" long on the end. I won't give them up for other box scraper, you can turn them and get a super fine cut or hold them straight and eat wood. I tried the Sorby one your looking at and it just seamed clumsy. I have the Straight Multi-tip tool from Sorby and it has a Box Scraper tip with it that dose a descent job. I like the half of a heart scraper that you can shear scrape with that works great.