PDA

View Full Version : Crude but efficient use of volume for multi-drawer shop storage

William Belknap
02-08-2013, 2:01 PM
Using mostly scrap plywood and chipboard, I built a storage unit with 26 drawers all 20"Wx14.5"D, but most of different heights. It isn't pretty but it functions well, and by determining height of drawer by deciding it's function there is little wasted space. I basically decided what to put in each drawer as I built it. The drawer glides are the cheapest type with the piece that attaches to drawer being "L" shaped so they are attached by screws up into the bottom of the drawer. This allows the drawer to be constructed with the bottom cut to full dimension and sides, front, and back simply edge glued to each other. I had some 3/8" plywood to use for the bottoms, and that has served well - plenty of strength. Since the drawer glides are screwed to the cabinet sides, drawer spacing can be changed down the road quite simply. It was basically serendipity that allowed me to discover that by keeping the front of the drawer holding my cordless drill case to a small lip, I can pull the drawer out and raise the case lid enough to access the drill without having to remove the case from the cabinet (the drawer glides are not full extension). Basically, I'm posting this to put out the idea that creating banks of drawers that are all the same size can lead to a fair amount of lost storage because of inefficient matching of individual storage unit (drawer) size to its purpose.

Brian Libby
02-08-2013, 2:33 PM
Great idea! I prefer to call some of my projects "functional" not crude:D I like the idea of various height drawers.
Thanks for posting.

Thomas Bank
02-08-2013, 2:59 PM
Hey, crude... I mean "functional" storage is a heck of a lot better than everything covering the floor, tablesaw table, workbench, and every other available flat surface! :D

John Hays
02-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Well done, sir! Just throw a couple of slab doors on the front and nobody would be the wiser... might look pretty good too. ;)

Tom Clark FL
02-10-2013, 9:32 AM
I also make use of many different size drawers because they are an efficient use of space. My construction is almost like yours, except I used plywood face frames and drawer fronts to keep the contents a bit more dust free. It only takes a bit more effort…

Three of these cabinets were made 25 years ago, before I had a table saw, and the parts were cut out on my bandsaw. All the drawer bottoms are 1/4" ply, and they are plenty strong enough also.

Rick Markham
02-10-2013, 8:19 PM
Looks like a fantastic idea to me, so much so that I will be borrowing this idea, I'm tired of looking for suitable small parts storage, it's either junk, or it's outrageously priced. I really like your cabinets Tom, very tidy. I see the tall skinny one is exactly what I need, I can just build it as I need it! Might be kinda cool having a patchwork shop... I've seen a beautiful one on here somewhere!

Brian Brightwell
02-13-2013, 9:01 AM
Tom,I might just get your book.

Steve Meliza
02-13-2013, 3:49 PM
Tom's book is great, I built the 18-drawer workbench with a double thickness top about a year ago and am thrilled with it. For me it was almost like I needed someone (Tom) to give me permission to build something fast, cheap, and effective without getting bogged down in furniture joinery and techniques.

Von Bickley
02-13-2013, 4:56 PM
William,

Looks like a great way to use up some scraps....... Sometimes I use my scraps, and sometimes I burn them in the shop heater. Either way, I use them.