PDA

View Full Version : In-line fan

Kevin Hirata
02-08-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a laser engraver, but I first need to figure out how to exhaust the unit.

In reading through the archives I noticed where some members use in-line fans to vent their engravers. I didn't see any info on brands or distributors, so I was wondering whether anyone might be able to offer any info in this area. Because my engraver will be located in a spare bedroom, I will probably hook the fan up to Dan Hintz's homemade filtration system. With this in mind, any recommendations as to the size of fan I would need?

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Dan Hintz
02-08-2013, 12:29 PM
To avoid contaminating the optics, you want a pretty good vacuum... personally, I don't feel those inline fans have the suction power to properly evacuate the chamber. Some here use them with acceptable results (in their view), so it's a personal decision. For simplicity, I started with the red blower from HF... it was like $80 on sale. Noisy, but useful.

Tony Lenkic
02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
You can find many in-line fans on ebay. here are some options........
Fantech
Continental Fan
Acme Miami

As Dan pointed out blowers would be better suited for the job. In-line fan in order to get close to 500CFM you need to go with 8" ducting. My 670cfm blower is 4" exhaust port.

Kevin Hirata
02-08-2013, 1:05 PM
Thanks guys. Assuming I put it through a filtration system, would something like this work?

http://www.scientificspectrum.com/dustpromo_vls6.60_pls6.75_pls.pdf

Tony Lenkic
02-08-2013, 1:11 PM
Yes, that looks like the one I have. Harbour Freight has them in dust collector section.

Joe Hillmann
02-08-2013, 1:11 PM
I don't think I would go with an inline fan. When I originally took the company over the lasers were vented with a 400cfm inline fan that worked just fine for glass and light engraving on wood. When I started started using the lasers more for cutting it couldn't come close to keeping up. Right now I have a 1000 cfm blower on about 30 feet of vent and it is questionable if it it powerful enough for some jobs.

Kevin Hirata
02-08-2013, 1:24 PM
Tony, how quiet, or noisy is your blower?

Ronald Erickson
02-08-2013, 1:26 PM
I use this blower model from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html. The noise is reasonable in a 10x11 foot room. I believe Keith Outten uses the same one in his shop.

Tony Lenkic
02-08-2013, 2:24 PM
Kevin,

My is located in garage so the noise is not an issue.

Dan Hintz
02-08-2013, 2:57 PM
In-line fan in order to get close to 500CFM you need to go with 8" ducting. My 670cfm blower is 4" exhaust port.

Also note... it's not just about the CFM, it's about the CFM at a specific pressure range. 500CFM means squat if it's measured at 0" Hg... you want 500CFM at something like 4-6" Hg to have a reasonable chance of moving air.

AL Ursich
02-08-2013, 3:08 PM
When you search for RADON fans for ventilation you can find many in line fans.

AL

Mike Null
02-08-2013, 4:46 PM
Kevin

I've been a happy user of an inline blower (the same one) for 15 years. Besides efficiency it is far quieter than the HF or Penn State variety. It is important to plan the run without a lot of el's and not over a great distance. But if you could compare the two you would not buy the HF variety. I've never had the need for a filter. A good sealed system should take out all odor.

I'm of the opinion people buy the HF etc. stuff is they don't want to spend the extra money on a good unit.

Mine's in the basement.

Kevin Hirata
02-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the responses. You guys are not making this easy:)