PDA

View Full Version : Script text software

John Johnson 2
02-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Does anybody know of sotwae to create script text. NO I don't mean a FONT. A bit of software that is bright enough to connect the characters up correctly so as to create a continuous vector. Yes, I know that I can use a font and do it manunually but there should be a better way.

Dan Hintz
02-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Doing it automatically can be problematic... how does the software know the correct place to add the bridges? If you only use a couple of fonts, then maybe you can give it some intelligent suggestions, but otherwise I'd do it by hand with a few short stubs.

John Johnson 2
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't think that it is difficult at all from a programming point of view. I am tired of doing it by hand and I am sure that I am not the only one.

Doug Griffith
02-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Being a programmer myself, it would be very difficult. There are too many variables. As Dan said, maybe with a font or two. Even then, there would need to be hints built in to the font itself.

John Johnson 2
02-09-2013, 12:43 PM
hmmmm, I'm sure glad you guys aren't the only software developers on the planet. If so we would never have had any of the brilliantly complex software that is available right off the shelf....

Doug Griffith
02-09-2013, 1:06 PM
If it were an easy task, or even doable for that matter, it would have been done a long time ago. I can see a use for such a script. On that note, the time involved to program probably wouldn't be justified by the target market. It would end up being a $500 program.

Lee DeRaud
02-09-2013, 5:06 PM
hmmmm, I'm sure glad you guys aren't the only software developers on the planet. If so we would never have had any of the brilliantly complex software that is available right off the shelf....Doug nailed it. Leaving aside the rather obvious (IMHO) technical issues...

Contrary to legend, the "brilliantly complex software available off the shelf" isn't done by one or two programmers working on spec. For the most part it comes out of very well financed organizations with dozens (if not hundreds or thousands) of very smart, very well-paid people. And it exists because it typically sells (1) for hundreds of dollars and/or (2) in millions of units, and I don't see the program you're describing doing either.

Alternatively, you can hit the open-source community with a proposal and try to get a bunch of them interested in doing this software for free. Good luck with that: those guys work for glory and the love of the game, and I don't see the program you're describing giving them either.

Gary Hair
02-09-2013, 5:16 PM
hmmmm, I'm sure glad you guys aren't the only software developers on the planet. If so we would never have had any of the brilliantly complex software that is available right off the shelf....

and with that attitude you should have no problem finding someone to help you...

Dan Hintz
02-09-2013, 8:19 PM

And I'm sure glad I don't have to work with software programmers who think every problem that comes to their mind can be solved in a weekend with a case of Red Bull and doughnuts... they usually last a couple of months before they realize their level of ineptitude is only overshadowed by their arrogance. I've busted my hump on some very difficult problems in a range of algorithmic fields (many in the image processing arena), so I think I have a pretty realistic grasp on what issues seem overly easy at the 10,000 foot view but quickly turn sour when you get to the meat of things. What you consider a simplistic problem I think will take significantly more time and energy than you obviously can imagine.

But hey, prove us all wrong... go get yourself that pack of Red Bull, I'll deliver some doughnuts, and you let us know when the project is done. I'll even forward you the 1,000+ page document on the TrueType Font spec... it's fun bedtime reading.

Scott Shepherd
02-09-2013, 8:26 PM
I've been on sign forums for 5 or 6 years now. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say it was such a problem. Can you post an example of what you're talking about, because clearly I'm missing it. I have an idea what you mean, but if my idea is right, then I'm not getting the large problem that it appears to be for you. Can you post a couple of examples? Before/After?

Mike Null
02-10-2013, 8:12 AM
Doesn't using kerning and weld handle the issue?

William Adams
02-10-2013, 8:38 AM
If I understand JJ2 correctly, he wants a single continuous curve, beginning to end, so that the engraver never has to lift up, and doesn't waste time going around twice for an outline.

You need several things:

- a new font format --- the last time fonts like this were in vogue was Windows 1.0--3.0 (the format was dropped after 3.1's introduction of TrueType) and they didn't include in the font design, depth information which would result in narrower or wider cuts at appropriate places, which would be necessary if one doesn't want a boring monoline.
- one or more font designs in styles suited to being joined together --- each character which joins needs a minimum of 3 forms, initial, median and finial --- alternate forms would help the appearance a lot
- a software program which uses the new format to create files suitable for the engraver --- it has to keep track of word beginnings and endings so as to use the appropriate form

Using a v-shaped bit, one should be able to achieve a very nice result on a small scale or exceedingly flat surface, esp. if one did contextual ligatures and alternates --- see my paper in TUGboat: http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb24-2/tb77adams.pdf for a discussion of this as expressed in Zapfino.

If the details above aren't sufficient, contact me via PM w/ the details of your envisioned workflow and budget and whether or no you want the tool to be proprietary and we can negotiate on an intersection.

Mike Null
02-10-2013, 9:16 AM
Thank you, William. There are some things I'm quite happy to know nothing about.:)

Rodne Gold
02-10-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm still not even sure what the OP want's anyway. It would be a lot easier for all concerned if the application that required such a program was explained or an example given. At any rate , IMO in the light of the surly response from the OP , It doesn't really deserve further consideration

William Adams
02-14-2013, 8:39 AM
Okay, here's a blast from the past. Ages ago, a U.S. Government employee made a set of fonts which were a single outline. They've been kicking around ever since, but an opensource programmer worked up an easy way to place them in Inkscape, and from there, it's trivial to use gcodetools to go straight to G-code:

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2011/hershey-text-an-inkscape-extension-for-engraving-fonts/

One of the font options is a joined script which should meet the needs of the OP --- if he'd like something nicer, I'd be glad to look into it.

William

John Frazee
02-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I think I understand completely what the OP wants to do. He wants all the letters to be welded together so that there is no breaks between the letters. First select a script font and type your word. Then, in Corel go to weld and weld it. To check it just outline it and you can see that its one continuous line without breaks. To outline it, click on the text, left click on the box with an "X" in it at the top of the color docker. Then right click the next box which should be black. That should outline so that you can make sure it combined the text into one piece. If you have to break it apart, Ctrl Z back or go to Arrange dropdown and select break curve apart.