PDA

View Full Version : New- Woodworkers respirator Respirator

W.C. Turner
05-03-2005, 11:19 AM
I recently discovered that Amazon carries a respirator called "WoodWorker"s Respirator. It is supposed to capture 95% of particles down to 0.3 microns. It's only about $14.

Where as the Trend power shield does not mention how small a particle it captures. And, very much more costly.

Anbody aware of this new respirator?

Jeff Sudmeier
05-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks for this post. I just went and checked it out. I am getting ready for an Amazon order as well, so I will look forward to the replies. Hopefully it turns out...

Dan Lanicek
05-05-2005, 1:19 AM
I ordered one today. I've been looking for a low cost respirator, the dust masks just weren't working for me. This looks like a good deal especially considering the filter replacement price (4 for $5).

I'll let you know how it works out for me.

W.C. Turner
05-09-2005, 12:36 PM
After using my new respirator, I'm happy to report that it's lightweight, & very comfortable. It doesn't fog my glasses or faceshield, like the heavier, industrial, type did, which was also heavier. And, last, it is very economical. And, most important, I WILL wear it!

I am very satisfied with mine.

W.C.

Dan Lanicek
05-09-2005, 3:23 PM
After using my new respirator, I'm happy to report that it's lightweight, & very comfortable. It doesn't fog my glasses or faceshield, like the heavier, industrial, type did, which was also heavier. And, last, it is very economical. And, most important, I WILL wear it!

I am very satisfied with mine.

W.C.

Good to hear!

I'm still waiting on mine.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-09-2005, 5:06 PM
I picked up a twin cartridge on sale for $15.00 so I grabbed it. Normally $30 and N95 complaint. I like it so far.

Kevin Arceneaux
05-09-2005, 5:36 PM
I am not a big fan of AO products. I had a sales rep give me a couple to try out and the seemed to be a bit lightweight and the guys in my plant who I gave them to, to try out, didn't like them. But for the hobbiest, I would rate them ok.

The cartridges are for dust only. Do not wear them to paint in. They do not make a cartridge for this mask for painting.

John M. Cioffi
05-10-2005, 10:52 AM
Anyone have a link to this?

Thanks,
John

Scott Loven
05-10-2005, 11:29 AM
link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000BYE9Q/qid=1115737422/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl60/102-8593072-6333737?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846)

Is this what you were talking about? Anyone ever try the resp-o-rator (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10834)?
Scott

Kevin Arceneaux
05-10-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't know about that one. I notice they say they are waiting approval for it. To me it looks like a Rube Goldberg contraption. The nose clip? How uncomfortable that looks. Also the tubing around the neck, that just seems to me that it would restrict head movement. For that price, there are a lot better ones out there.

Jack Wood
05-11-2005, 12:47 AM
If your loking for a great filter that is fairly cheap and very comfortable check this one www.northsafety.com/usa/en/bs_product.html?GID=3721 (http://www.northsafety.com/usa/en/bs_product.html?GID=3721)

I tried several different types until I found this one, it is easy to adjust and use, filter replacement is a snap.

(And no I don't work for them:D )

W.C. Turner
05-11-2005, 1:08 AM
Just go to www.amazon.com and do a search in tools & hardware, for #95190 respirator. $13.99

Kevin Arceneaux
05-11-2005, 9:56 AM
I highly recommend North Products, they are one of the best lines out there, along with MSA.

Bob Oswin
05-12-2005, 8:35 AM
Just go to www.amazon.com and do a search in tools & hardware, for #95190 respirator. $13.99

Those things make me claustrophobic.
They are not at all in the same league as the Trend etc. that have positive ventilation.
They offer no face protection meaning that, by rights, you would have to wear a face shield in addition to this device.
Finally, if the filtration is as fine as it suggests you will be hard pressed to suck air through the filter in very short order when sanding making claustrophobia, at least for me a surety.
I wear one spray painting and that is a challenge.

Bob

James Duxbury
05-30-2006, 1:48 PM
link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000BYE9Q/qid=1115737422/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl60/102-8593072-6333737?v=glance&s=hi&n=507846)

Is this what you were talking about? Anyone ever try the resp-o-rator (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10834)?
Scott

Scott,

I am the inventor of the Resp-O-Rator and would be glad to answer any questions. Also I have become familiar with other products also if I can be of help.

My Resp-O-Rator has been a far better product than the packaging shows. The new packaging should be out this week. This Resp-O-Rator has had full HEPA Filters now for over a year. The package shows 99% which is still great but actually they are a minimum of 99.97% down to 0.3 microns.

No matter what kind of respirator you use---note the micron filter efficiency. These things that cost hundreds of dollars and say pre-filter and main filter? Who knows what that means. Or maybe there is a reason they don't tell you.

Next, People put their respirator on, turn on the sander or whatever, make a huge amount of dust, and then turn the sander off and take off the respirator. You even see it done on TV. Keep the respirator on until the air has cleared by ventilation or you get out of the room.

Hope this helps.
Jim

Chris Barton
05-30-2006, 5:08 PM
This one is not for me. I gave up scuba in the 80's and I can't really get my head around the idea of a mouth piece and nose clip. I guess this would preclude talking while woodworking? Might not be a big seller at schools for woodworking...

Bart Leetch
05-30-2006, 9:01 PM
I went to Amazon & looked at this mask I am always hoping but they don't make a mask for people with beards. I have been using a Dust be gone mask with the most success of any mask I ever used. It allows for talking & is comfortable & I have never had any problems with dust or coughing during or after wearing it.

The Resp-O-Rator is not an option I don't want anything in my mouth & hanging over my shoulder much less a nose clip. I want to be able to breath through both my nose & mouth if need be.My sinuses can close up anytime (just from metabolism slowing down) & then breathing through my mouth is the only option.

Frank Hagan
05-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Scott,

I am the inventor of the Resp-O-Rator and would be glad to answer any questions. Also I have become familiar with other products also if I can be of help.

My Resp-O-Rator has been a far better product than the packaging shows. The new packaging should be out this week. This Resp-O-Rator has had full HEPA Filters now for over a year. The package shows 99% which is still great but actually they are a minimum of 99.97% down to 0.3 microns.

No matter what kind of respirator you use---note the micron filter efficiency. These things that cost hundreds of dollars and say pre-filter and main filter? Who knows what that means. Or maybe there is a reason they don't tell you.

Next, People put their respirator on, turn on the sander or whatever, make a huge amount of dust, and then turn the sander off and take off the respirator. You even see it done on TV. Keep the respirator on until the air has cleared by ventilation or you get out of the room.

Hope this helps.
Jim

Hi Jim,

I have your Resp-O-Rator Jr. model and like it very much. Because I have a beard, I haven't been able to find a dust mask solution short of a powered respirator. The thing I like about the Resp-O-Rator is that not only can I ensure I get 100% filtered air, but I can remove my glasses easily ... something I do often because I'm near sighted, and my close up vision is extremely good. I worry that with a powered visor such as the Trend, I would be tempted to lift it too often while there is still dust in the air.

I have to chime in and let people know that while the Resp-O-Rator looks awkward, my experience is very positive indeed. And I have the "more klunky" Jr. version.

I'll upgrade to the standard version as soon as the last filter cartridge wears out; I'm thinking the filters might last a bit longer if they are behind my head.

John Miliunas
05-30-2006, 10:59 PM
I'll second that for the Resp-O-Rator! Seems that the "typical" surgical-type masks always fog up my glasses and I do wear my safety glasses all the time when in the shop. :) Although the unit may look awkward, it's really very, very light and not at all obtrusive. Admitedly, the nose clip is not the most comfortable thing around but, it does work! :) For some real short-term use, I still grab a nuisance mask but, if I'm getting down to some real business, it's the Resp-O-Rator! This includes the final, real minute cuts on turning pieces, as well as for final sanding on the lathe. I can even keep my full face shield on with no worries. Hand-held router work is another time I use it frequently. And, never a problem with glasses fogging up! That, to me, is a real big plus, both in convenience and safety!!! :)

BTW Jim D., welcome to the Creek and for chiming in! Always great to have some type of manufacturer representation on board! :) Oh, and in case you may have not noticed, we have some "free giveaway" drawings from time to time for the general membership. :D Might be a good way to introduce a member or two to your products! :D :cool:

James Duxbury
06-01-2006, 9:12 AM
I went to Amazon & looked at this mask I am always hoping but they don't make a mask for people with beards. I have been using a Dust be gone mask with the most success of any mask I ever used. It allows for talking & is comfortable & I have never had any problems with dust or coughing during or after wearing it.

The Resp-O-Rator is not an option I don't want anything in my mouth & hanging over my shoulder much less a nose clip. I want to be able to breath through both my nose & mouth if need be.My sinuses can close up anytime (just from metabolism slowing down) & then breathing through my mouth is the only option.

Bart,

Whatever kind of dust protection you use, read what the manufacturer actually says about the filtering efficiency. Lasts for 10 years does not mean the thing is doing what you are expecting it to do. However wearing anything is of some help. It can't hurt. Many don't use dust protection at all. It is the fine stuff measured in microns that is hard to catch. But worse than all this when you wear a dust mask of some sort you have a feeling of being protected and even submit yourself to worse conditions and higher consentrations than normal.

It's like wearing a cheap pair of safety glasses that don't work.

I hope this helps. I seem to learn the hard way and that is OK for some things but not on your health.

James Duxbury
06-01-2006, 9:41 AM
I'll second that for the Resp-O-Rator! Seems that the "typical" surgical-type masks always fog up my glasses and I do wear my safety glasses all the time when in the shop. :) Although the unit may look awkward, it's really very, very light and not at all obtrusive. Admitedly, the nose clip is not the most comfortable thing around but, it does work! :) For some real short-term use, I still grab a nuisance mask but, if I'm getting down to some real business, it's the Resp-O-Rator! This includes the final, real minute cuts on turning pieces, as well as for final sanding on the lathe. I can even keep my full face shield on with no worries. Hand-held router work is another time I use it frequently. And, never a problem with glasses fogging up! That, to me, is a real big plus, both in convenience and safety!!! :)

BTW Jim D., welcome to the Creek and for chiming in! Always great to have some type of manufacturer representation on board! :) Oh, and in case you may have not noticed, we have some "free giveaway" drawings from time to time for the general membership. :D Might be a good way to introduce a member or two to your products! :D :cool:

John,

Thank you for the kind words and I'll see if I can do something on the giveaway thing. We are in the process of new packaging and the distribution but it is all going together well. The Resp-O-Rator will now show HEPA filters, 99.97% at 0.3 microns minimum efficiency. We have had these filters packaged for over a year now but have not changed the literature. It is a looong story.

I just want to be of some help and really don't want to be critical of other products but when your health is concerned it is really important. Read what the product literature is actually saying--professionals write this stuff and it can be misleading.

All the best.

Frank Hagan
06-01-2006, 11:41 PM
For me, with my beard, the tell-tale item was the amount of "dust trails" I could see when I took off a standard mask. I really don't see how anything short of the Resp-O-Rator or a full shield powered face mask could really prevent dust from being breathed in. Of course, a lot depends on the filtration; either one with substandard filtration just allows you to breath the most fine, sub-micron stuff.

James Duxbury
06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
For me, with my beard, the tell-tale item was the amount of "dust trails" I could see when I took off a standard mask. I really don't see how anything short of the Resp-O-Rator or a full shield powered face mask could really prevent dust from being breathed in. Of course, a lot depends on the filtration; either one with substandard filtration just allows you to breath the most fine, sub-micron stuff.

Frank,

You are right. The seal to your face is one thing but the filter is the heart of any respirator. And the HEPA filter is the best filtration made--at any price. It is a minimum of 99.97% at 0.3 microns. That is considered 100% even by NIOSH standards

I built this Resp-O-Rator for myself. I deserve the very best, so do you, and so do others, especially those with health problems.

Jim

Norm Shirk
06-03-2006, 1:05 AM
John,

Thank you for the kind words and I'll see if I can do something on the giveaway thing. We are in the process of new packaging and the distribution but it is all going together well. The Resp-O-Rator will now show HEPA filters, 99.97% at 0.3 microns minimum efficiency. We have had these filters packaged for over a year now but have not changed the literature. It is a looong story.

I just want to be of some help and really don't want to be critical of other products but when your health is concerned it is really important. Read what the product literature is actually saying--professionals write this stuff and it can be misleading.

All the best.

Are the replacement filters and mouthpieces interchangeable between the jr and standard models?

James Duxbury
06-03-2006, 9:04 AM
Are the replacement filters and mouthpieces interchangeable between the jr and standard models?

Norm,

Yes they are the same thing and used bor both. The Resp-O-Rator Jr. however has a slightly lower filtering efficiency because only one filter is doing all the work. Also air in going both in and out of the filter itself. The Jr. is still well over 97% at 0.3 microns which is great for wood dust and things we are doing. That is a super filter, but being in front of your face it is more for mowing and cleaning or people with pollen and allergy type problems.

Any filter above N95, which is the NIOSH designation for over 95% efficient at 0.3 microns, is a good choice for our type of work.

Jim

Norm Shirk
06-03-2006, 1:23 PM
Norm,

Yes they are the same thing and used bor both. The Resp-O-Rator Jr. however has a slightly lower filtering efficiency because only one filter is doing all the work. Also air in going both in and out of the filter itself. The Jr. is still well over 97% at 0.3 microns which is great for wood dust and things we are doing. That is a super filter, but being in front of your face it is more for mowing and cleaning or people with pollen and allergy type problems.

Any filter above N95, which is the NIOSH designation for over 95% efficient at 0.3 microns, is a good choice for our type of work.

Jim

I'm a woodworker and woodturner, and have been using the Dust Bee Gone mask, but in real dusty situations I notice I cough a lot that evening. I do have a dust collection system and an air scrubber, which help, but I feel I'm still taking in more than I should. I went to their site, and they claim down to 3 microns, not .3. That might explain the coughing. I'm heading to woodcraft this afternoon, so I'll have a looksee.

Thanks for the reply.

Norm

Frank Fusco
06-03-2006, 2:36 PM
I recently discovered that Amazon carries a respirator called "WoodWorker"s Respirator. It is supposed to capture 95% of particles down to 0.3 microns. It's only about $14.

Where as the Trend power shield does not mention how small a particle it captures. And, very much more costly.

Anbody aware of this new respirator?

Methinks you had a typo above. The price in the ad is 44.00 (forty-four) dollars. Not fourteen.

James Duxbury
06-03-2006, 8:03 PM
I'm a woodworker and woodturner, and have been using the Dust Bee Gone mask, but in real dusty situations I notice I cough a lot that evening. I do have a dust collection system and an air scrubber, which help, but I feel I'm still taking in more than I should. I went to their site, and they claim down to 3 microns, not .3. That might explain the coughing. I'm heading to woodcraft this afternoon, so I'll have a looksee.

Thanks for the reply.

Norm

Norm,

There is lots of difference between 3.0 and 0.3 microns. But this shows, like I said before, you wear this thing and put up with it because you need the protection in bad conditions. Worse than that though when you think this dust mask works you have no fear of submitting yourself to higher consentrations and maybe even for longer times.

You have to read what the manufacturer is actuslly saying. Last for many years??? Or pre-filter and main filter??? Not what you need to know.