PDA

View Full Version : Snowing !!

Brian Libby
02-08-2013, 8:14 AM
The snow is here in Maine! It has been snowing since before 3:30 AM.Depending on who you listen to we are expecting from 12 inches to 30 inches !!!! :eek:
The good thing is I can just sit inside and watch it. It is GREAT being retired !!!!!:)

Phil Thien
02-08-2013, 8:20 AM
We only got about five or six inches here (Milwaukee area). Then they said you guys on the right coast were going to get hit pretty hard.

I sort of like snow days. I just down a bunch of coffee and play around in the shop.

Stay safe. 12" + of snow is nothing to sneeze at!

Rod Sheridan
02-08-2013, 8:52 AM
The snow is here in Maine! It has been snowing since before 3:30 AM.Depending on who you listen to we are expecting from 12 inches to 30 inches !!!! :eek:
The good thing is I can just sit inside and watch it. It is GREAT being retired !!!!!:)

In Toronto, the storm has hit, and I had to drive to work.

I despise you retired types!;)

Ok, I admit it, I'm jealous of you retired types............Regards, Rod.

Jim O'Dell
02-08-2013, 9:00 AM
The weather cast here in the DFW metro said you all could get as much as 2 1/2' of the white fluffy stuff. Everyone be safe! Jim.

Jason Roehl
02-08-2013, 9:48 AM
Jealous!

We had a single 4" event, plus a few dustings up to maybe an inch. Not enough to get the plow out and play except for that one event.

Jim Tabor
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
I went skeet shooting in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas yesterday afternoon, 63 degrees. It is nice to be retired.

Lee Schierer
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM
It started snowing here a couple of hours ago. We filled up the bird feeders and will watch it snow. Retired life is good.

Brian Tymchak
02-08-2013, 12:08 PM
We filled up the bird feeders and will watch it snow. Retired life is good.

...Rub it in Lee... ;)

Retirement -> Only 12 more years (..I hope..) and counting...

Mike Cutler
02-08-2013, 12:17 PM
I went skeet shooting in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas yesterday afternoon, 63 degrees. It is nice to be retired.

Okay, now that's just mean! ;)
I'm running around filling propane tanks, gas tanks, stacking and covering wood, getting the plow on the tractor, and all other such nonsense, because I was at work yesterday :(, and wishing I could be skeet shooting.
Gotta a spare room? I'll bring the shotguns. Beer too.:D

Brian Kent
02-08-2013, 12:51 PM
I hear it was so cold they had to chip the hound dog off the old oak tree.

kevin loftus
02-08-2013, 1:05 PM
I hear it was so cold they had to chip the hound dog off the old oak tree.

:D:D:D Nice one Brian.:D:D:D

Rick Potter
02-08-2013, 1:07 PM
Snow. I've heard of that. It's that white stuff up on the mountain, right?

Around here, it's supposed to snow down as low as 2500' tonight, and my grandaughter has to drive over a 3700+' pass to get to work on Saturday. She lives in the high desert where the elevation is 3000' Our place is right at the base of the 10,000'mountain, at 1800'. It's nice to look up at the snow, but glad we don't live there.

Rick Potter

Jim Koepke
02-08-2013, 2:04 PM
Over here on the left coast the weather person last night was a bit surprised that we are in the second week of February without snow.

Sun is shining outside today.

jtk

Jerry Thompson
02-08-2013, 2:20 PM
Back in '72, when we lived WY, I had to dig down through 3' of snow to grease the windmill.

David G Baker
02-08-2013, 8:28 PM
We had 10 inches on the ground this morning here in Mid Michigan on top of the 4 or so inches already on the ground. Sure glad I plowed my 300 foot driveway yesterday so I only had to deal with the extra 10 inches. The sky was bright blue and the Sun was shining as I was plowing.

Don Williams Michigan
02-08-2013, 8:35 PM
Over the past 24 hours we have received about 12 to 14 inches of new snow. Based on using the snow blower twice, I vote for closer to 14.

Tonight, temperature is supposed to drop to 9 below zero.

Spring cannot get here soon enough.

Paul McGaha
02-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Hope you guys are ok to the north of us. From what I've seen in the news that's a big storm, lot's of wind and snow.

Be safe.

Hope you don't lose power, or if you do not for too long.

PHM

Matt Marsh
02-08-2013, 11:27 PM
We have around 12 to 15 inches on the ground here in Nordern Miinesoda. A winter storm watch is in effect starting Saturday evening on into Monday. Around 12 additional inches are expected somewhere in the area. I'm not one of you lucky retirees, as a matter of fact whenever it snows overnight, I get called in to work at 3:30 AM for emergency snow removal. :( I'm ready for spring!

Sam Murdoch
02-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Shoveled 3 times today in Mid-coast Maine - all light and fluffy but twice as much at 3:30 as there was at noon. Will be pushing 12" to 16" before it's done ( I think) Lots more cleaning and likely several times tomorrow. Geez, we were practically down to bare ground. :(

Matt Marsh
02-09-2013, 12:17 AM
No melting going on here! We haven't seen above freezing temps for a coon's age! We've had in the minus 40s a couple times over the last few weeks,

Dave Anderson NH
02-09-2013, 7:05 AM
Right now about 18" on the ground with drifting all over the place. Winds about 35-40 steady and stronger a few miles to the east along the coast. Temp is 19F and we have a few hours left to go. To the north of us 24"+ in some areas. All of it is light and fluffy except where the wind has packed it hard from the drifting. Because it is cold and the snow is dry, light, and fluffy, less than 500 power outages in the whole state even with the high winds. The seacoast should be getting slammed about 10:30 AM with the astronomical high tides for the month coinciding with the storm. There should be lots of beach erosion and some coastal flooding. After the snow and wind slow down I'll go out and snowblow and clean up and then light a fire in the shop's woodstove and have some fun. Just a normal winter in NH.

Jay Jolliffe
02-09-2013, 7:55 AM
I'm sure glad it's the fluffy snow. If it wasn't I'd be sore for weeks from shoveling. We have about 14-16" & it's real windy. Drifting all around to about 4-5'. Were I live we have to worry about the trees coming down with the high wind. Living on this Island there is no depth of root system. All on top so they blow over easy. One house I care take there were over 50 trees 30-50' tall down last year when we had high winds.

thomas d evans
02-09-2013, 8:06 AM
........It is GREAT being retired !!!!!:)

+1

peace, T

Chris Damm
02-09-2013, 8:36 AM
I plowed 14"+ yesterday but today the sun is shining brightly. I like the sun better!

Keith Outten
02-09-2013, 9:39 AM
I don't envy you guys and gals the weather you are experiencing this weekend. This morning it is sunny and 40 degrees here, however I spent two long years living three blocks from Lake Ontario in upstate New York many years ago so I have experienced REAL Winter. Living in an area where the snow never melts and its white all Winter long is a shock for anyone who grew up south of the Mason Dixon Line.

Hope your power stays on..........

Rod Sheridan
02-09-2013, 9:51 AM
Gee, I live on the opposite side of the lake Keith, fortunately most of the snow falls on the south side of that lake.......LOL..............Regards, Rod.

Dave Anderson NH
02-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Went out to do the first round of snowblowing while SWMBO shoveled. 25" now in the center of the driveway and slight drifting in the back yard (37"). Still snowing so who knows what the total will be. At least the wind is down to about 5-10 miles per hour and sometimes less. This will certainly help to make sure the water table is replenished come spring.

Keith Outten
02-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Rod,

You live on the side that has the big lake, I wanted to visit your lake but never had the chance. I have to admit I was impressed by the Great Lakes which is no small matter since I grew up and live on the Atlantic. The first time I saw a wall of white moving in my direction I couldn't believe my eyes. Jackie and I were traveling North from Syracuse through Fulton where the white line is on our way home to Oswego. The storm stopped all traffic dead in its tracks literally, we just stopped in the lane we were in. As we sat in the Jeep we watched the snow build up on the hood and in just a few minutes it was above the roof and the temp dropped from -30 to -50 within the hour. When you couple big water with unbelievably cold temperatures dropping down from Canada the results can be just incredible. Gigantic lakes that freeze several feet thick where people play on the ice like it is a city park. The snowfall average was 326 inches per year which is impressive but the cold temperatures were dangerous, something we never had to deal with here at home. Man, we got a real education living up there for two years :)

It was all just a walk in the park for the folks who lived in the North Country :)

Stephen Cherry
02-09-2013, 12:37 PM
These are all great gloats, but you know what they say: Without pictures, it didn't happen.

Brian Libby
02-09-2013, 1:11 PM
Yesterday morning the ground was bare!!!! TV is giving total snow fall of 26 to 32 inches!!!!!!!

David Helm
02-09-2013, 2:28 PM
Here the buds are swelling in the trees, the daffodils are up and it's looking decidedly like Spring. This isn't to say that we may not get a late snow, but Spring does usually start here in late January. Saw a picture on facebook this AM, taken by someone in Connecticut, of an open front door with snow all the way to the top.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=512383668805224&set=a.175078442535750.35884.155048074538787&type=1&ref=nf

Jim Matthews
02-09-2013, 3:11 PM
I live downwind of the least competent city in the Western world (and it's not Caracas) - Fall River, MA.

The amount of snow was substantial, in excess of the predicted 16". The Chourizopithecus method to
handle snow removal of this volume involves mostly bread, milk and scratch-off lottery tickets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i6zaVYWLTkU#t=0s

Jay Jolliffe
02-09-2013, 3:45 PM
Just found out that a 24'' snow blower doesn't do to much when you have 3-4' drifts.Which is my whole driveway....Anyone that is getting snow if you have a direct vent furnace shovel out the exhaust vent.

Kevin Bourque
02-09-2013, 6:13 PM
We got about 1/4" here in Southeastern Pa. Most of it has already melted away.

Rick Gibson
02-10-2013, 3:04 PM

It is great being retired but the wife's aunt died and she wanted to go home for the funeral. 2 1/2 hr drive to London to catch her flight Fri. in the middle of the storm only to be told the flight was cancelled 15 minutes before we got there 2 hr drive home because the sun was up and roads had been ploughed. Did manage to get to Lee Valley which was only about a mile from the airport and dropped a couple hundred bucks.
Saturday morning up a 5am and drive to London normal drive time of an hour this time. Waiting for her flight it's delayed, it's delayed again, the third time it was delayed she wouldn't have made it to Toronto in time for the connecting flight to Halifax. Rebooked for Monday Maybe this time I'm really getting tired of driving on crappy roads when I should still be in bed.
Only consolation is when she is down there she can get a hundred bucks or so worth of Chris Bros pepperoni. Can't get it here and it's the best I ever found for my home made pizza.