PDA

View Full Version : Why we do this - good quote

Rob Horton
05-03-2005, 10:39 AM
I recently was reading an issue of 'Workbenches and Toolboxes' from Popular Woodworking. In it, there was an incredible Arts and Crafts tool cabinet, which I would LOVE to build sometime. As the author was hand-cutting his 60th or so dovetail, this following quote came to his mind. I thought I would share it with you all. I really enjoyed it.

"When we build, let us think that we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work as our descendants will thank us for; and let us think, as we lay stone on stone, that a time is to come when those stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance on them, 'See! This our father did for us.'" - John Ruskin(1819-1900), excerpt from Popular Woodworking, Workbenches and Toolboxes, May 2005

Steve Wargo
05-03-2005, 10:41 AM
yep, that's been one of my favorites for a long time. Actually have it hanging in my shop, and my office.

Jerry Ingraham
05-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Bob Smalser had posted that at the bottom of one of his posts and I thought it was great! I have it hanging in my shop as well.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-03-2005, 11:29 AM
I really love that quote! It is a good woodworking one to live by :)

Alan Turner
05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Making that on a sign for the new shop would be a wonderful excuse to learn letter/sign carving!

Mark Singer
05-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Another very famous quote...:confused:

"If your going to build forever start with a timeless design....or you will wish you would have built for the moment...and it would have fallen apart and was thrown away"