PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Dust Collection Choice - Cyclone -vs- Shop Vac

Mike Goetzke
02-07-2013, 9:33 AM
Reference - I have my new router cabinet constructed except for the drawers and dust collection. I have a Milwaukee 5625-20 on a PRL-V2 lift and have a fence with a dust port at the bit.

I found tons of info on the forum related to router table dust collection. I have been able to narrow it down to two methods:

1) Use a shop vac - buy the silicon below table boot system ( Keen - Dust Router (http://www.keen-products.com/) ).

2) Use my cyclone dust collector w/4" hose - at rear of router enclosure put inlet vent at bottom and outlet port at top. Install horizontal partition that is sealed at the rear/sides (not front) which allows fresh air to move across the motor inlet vents and around the lower partitioned space into the upper partitioned space across the top of the router and out the top back. ( See Post #7 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?105325-Router-table-dust-collection) )

I'm just having a hard time figuring out if high suction or large air movement is best for this tool.

Thanks,

Mike

Phil Thien
02-07-2013, 9:41 AM
I use a shop vac connected to a downdraft box. It works great, and I don't use any fence-type collection, just that downdraft box.

The benefit a downdraft box has over the silicone boot you linked to is noise suppression. The box quiets the router a lot.

Jim Becker
02-07-2013, 5:13 PM
Mike, my router table setup features a box that surrounds the big fat router motor with a 4" port. There is a 2.5" port on the back that can connect to the fence for pass-through. This works VERY well and there is never any accumulation in the box.

Mike Goetzke
02-07-2013, 5:30 PM
Mike, my router table setup features a box that surrounds the big fat router motor with a 4" port. There is a 2.5" port on the back that can connect to the fence for pass-through. This works VERY well and there is never any accumulation in the box.

Any vent holes in the box?

Thanks,

Mike

Alan Lightstone
02-08-2013, 5:59 AM
I use 4" port on box with 2.5" port on fence. All connected to a 5HP cyclone. Never any accumulation in box.

I have the bottom of the door to the router box built with an intentional gap to provide for air supply.

Jim Becker
02-09-2013, 7:34 PM
Any vent holes in the box?

Yes, there is a small amount of horizontal "slot" venting to provide additional air flow. I calculated the approximate area needed for that by taking the general area exposed around the cutter and the area of the 2.5" hose from the fence and subtracted that from the area of the 4" port to the ductwork. It doesn't have to be exact, but the idea is to not starve the collection of air and also provide a "sweep" of air moving toward the 4" port for maximum effectiveness and clearing of the cabinet.

Mark W Pugh
02-17-2013, 8:04 PM
I use a shop vac connected to a downdraft box. It works great, and I don't use any fence-type collection, just that downdraft box.

The benefit a downdraft box has over the silicone boot you linked to is noise suppression. The box quiets the router a lot.

Question, how do you keep the dust and word parts/pieces from entering the router? This can't be good on the motor. Am I over thinking this?