PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on laserbits??

Chad Fitzgerald
02-07-2013, 8:44 AM
Have never ordered from Laserbits, just curious about their service, quality of products in general.
Also thoughts on the LaserUniversity subscription. Is it worth it? Ive had my laser 2 years, on a scale of 1-10(1 know nothing and 10 know everything) im probably somewhere around a 3-5 when it comes to corel x4. pretty good at the things i do alot of, but i dont know what i dont know if that makes sense. Looking to get better.
thanks
\chad

Vicki Rivrud
02-07-2013, 9:31 AM
Hi Chad,
8 years ago, when I purchased my first chinese laser I had NO clue what anything was from datum to x,y,z and Corel knowledge was non existent as well. Chinese support was nill & attitudes towards the chinese equipment was different than today. So I had to do a lot of research & reading - spending many long hours learning everything I could. Then the daunting task of surfacing material suppliers etc.

After becoming comfortable with the basics and tired of trying to re-invent the wheel,I took the LaserU lessons, which include an entire section on Corel & Projects as well as over 18 chapters of lessons on different materials as well as techniques. I was blown away.

Laserbits also offers a free area on their website chockfull of tech tips & material use and cost and suggested Retail price when finished.

They gave me the foundation for the engraving side of our business, which started out primarily just cutting wood for r/c airplanes.

I have included at my website many examples of items I have learned had it not been for Laserbits & LaserU.

Laserbits suits our needs when I want to try a new product and not have to invest in a large amount of inventory or when a customer requests a project using a material I haven't tried yet.

Then I can perfect the technique of that product and if I have a large run, then I look to the bigger suppliers like JDS, BFPlastics or my local distrubutors.

The people at Laserbits especially Mike & Kathryn have been always available for questions and guidance and have always answered emails & phone calls. Mike travels with the Epilog Group giving seminars and brings many samples of what Laserbits carries. I went to the seminar in Orlando and got to handle the products and see many finished projects which gave me more creative ideas.

So in a nutshell, its not just stuff you get support as well. I also found that for buying "small" quantity items the cost isn't too bad and the shipping time is very quick. They also replace items that I haven't been happy with, no questions asked and have great sample packages. I test everything or have on hand items that are finished which boost sales.

Of course I appreciate the help I have received here the Creek when I have had a question.

Hope that helps,
Vicki

Martin Boekers
02-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Laserbits quality and service are good, pricing a bit high, (no discount on quantities.) I buy larger quantities so pricing is important to myself.
I haven't taken their classes, I have been to a seminar event they were apart of (cost about $80), it was dissapointing. :(
I would consider learning more about Corel though. The laser is more mechanical as the software is where the "real action" is. There are many
tutorials on You Tube that are free, explore! Set up a bookmarks folder so you can refer back to the ones you like.

Me personally, I would invest in going to a trade show before spending money on online training. This one is free to attend and has free training
classes in a variety of things. It's smaller than ARA, but I would strongly consider going to one of the events.

http://thenbmshow.com/

This one is nice though, as it covers Engraving, Printwear & Signage.

Post something that are the kind of work you like to do.

I'll be going to the show in Indy so look me up if you decide to go.

You can also check out ARA website for information about an upcoming regional show this fall, just outside of Chicago.

Good luck!

Marty

Glen Monaghan
02-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Laserbits quality and service are good, pricing a bit high, (no discount on quantities.)

From their website:

$ 300+ = 3% Discount
$ 500+ = 5% Discount
$1000+ = 7% Discount
$2000+ = 10% Discount

LaserBits offers discounts based on the dollar value of the order. Single item orders with quantities 500+ can be specially quoted. Contact customer service (order1@laserbits.com) for volume pricing. Quantity Discount does not apply to CerMark products, PhotoGrav software, and LaserU subscriptions.

Steve Busey
02-07-2013, 10:31 AM
I subscribed to LaserU briefly when I first got my laser, but it seemed like just a way to promote the products they were selling. Most of the info I'd already gleaned from sites like this. I did not look at any of their Corel training, so don't know the score on that.

Their prices are also on the high side. Martin mentioned that they don't offer quantity discounts - I contacted Mike F about that once, and they actually do have a cost based discount structure, though it's not very well promoted:

$ 300+ = 3% Discount
$ 500+ = 5% Discount
$1000+ = 7% Discount
$2000+ = 10% Discount

Has anyone here tried Corel training on lynda dot com? I've heard good things about that training site from someone in the accounting field, but not from someone in graphics.

(I see Glen beat me to the punch on the price points...)

Martin Boekers
02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
I guess I am just used to buying by the case as that's were most vendors discount.

I do buy certain items from Laserbits as they have a couple items I havent been able to find
anywhere else. A folding pen case that they carry I have found 20% cheaper and less on freight.
So that being said. You'll have to decide what piece you want and who to buy from.

Laserbits his an established company that has been around for quite a while, so I wouldn't hesitate
to buy from them if their product fits. :)

I did say their quality and service has been good!

Vicki Rivrud
02-07-2013, 9:24 PM
I guess I should clarify my response or opinion. For a new laser user, trying to learn the ropes without support or money for volume discount purchases, would do very well buying 1 or 2 items of this or that to get started and learn techniques and how to use a variety materials. If you have a question about using the material you can always email Laserbits or even call and they will offer help.

Service and shipping are the best going.

LaserU is offered for free for 7 days - should get your beak wet and see if its for you. File preparation is 80% of my production so Corel training specificaly tailored for using it on the laser is what I got from LaserU. See actually projects being done gave me inspiration to try to do those things.

As a newbie - it taught me alot and answered many questions I had without having to do alot of research or waiting for an answer somewhere else.

All the best,
Vicki

Chad Fitzgerald
02-08-2013, 7:58 AM
thanks everyone for your thoughts. very helpful
chad