PDA

View Full Version : liberty torch

Steve bellinger
02-06-2013, 8:56 PM
I know i havn't posted much lately,as i've been working my butt off.:). This is a little something i've been working on for the last month or more, when ever i had a extra min. or two. 10x11,oak burl,maple. The maple is dyed using printer ink. i know it's different,but that is what i was looking for. All C&C more than welcome.
Steve253655

Timothy Mann
02-06-2013, 9:02 PM
That is beautiful Steve.

Peter Blair
02-06-2013, 9:15 PM
Hey Steve. This is just beautiful. I see no way to improve it!!!

John Beaver
02-06-2013, 9:55 PM
Steve, there are a lot of nice details working wonderfully together in this piece. I would be easy for this not to work, but you got it right.
I'd love to see what you could do if you had more time in the shop.

Doug W Swanson
02-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Looks nice. Got any more photos? I'd love to see it from other angles....

Kathy Marshall
02-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Really nice piece piece Steve! The colors and shapes really work together.

Eric Gourieux
02-07-2013, 12:26 AM
That's very unique and beautiful. I agree with Doug. I'd love to see more pics

Steve bellinger
02-07-2013, 5:36 AM
Thank you all. John i'd love to beable to have more shop time, but you know how that goes.:) A lot of folks say they don't care about the base as it's to red. Well to me the red represents the blood spilled by soldiers all over the world who have given there blood in the prosuite of liberty.. Thanks you all for your kind comments.

Thom Sturgill
02-07-2013, 6:51 AM
I like the use of 'negative space', that is easy to get wrong. As to the red base, there is a principle in painting that says you never use a color just once unless it is THE focus. This can apply to colored objects as well. Since the base is reflected in the flame of the torch, this works for me. I am glad you left the burn natural though.

Overall a v-e-r-y nice piece.

charlie knighton
02-07-2013, 8:14 AM
really good piece, after reading Thom principle i have to agree that the base in the blue/green or black would have better to my taste, but your the artist, well done

Justin Stephen
02-07-2013, 1:04 PM
really good piece, after reading Thom principle i have to agree that the base in the blue/green or black would have better to my taste, but your the artist, well done

I tend to agree. The technical artistry is excellent and overall I really like the piece. If I find aesthetic fault, it is that the piece seems a little too "busy" color-wise. I suspect that if the base were black I wouldn't feel that way.

ed hoxter
02-07-2013, 8:30 PM
steve, you win. one of the best peices ive seen. picture belongs on some art magazine. keep up the great work. ed

Chip Sutherland
02-07-2013, 9:28 PM
nice composition, nice balance. I only have a small reservation on the base. My eyes keep going their first instead of the flame at the top. In general I like the red but it is the fact that it distracts me that I don't like. Your efforts are evident and well-deserved.

Steve bellinger
02-08-2013, 5:41 AM
Well thanks again all. Yep i guess i shouldn't tune the wife out, as she didn't like the red base ether.:) O well live and learn, that's what these forums are for.

Justin Stephen
02-08-2013, 7:38 AM
My eyes keep going their first instead of the flame at the top. In general I like the red but it is the fact that it distracts me that I don't like.

This is a much better way of saying what I was trying to say.