PDA

View Full Version : 18" vs 24"

Kevin Hirata
02-06-2013, 7:53 PM
We're debating between purchasing an 18" x 12" unit, or a 24" x 12" unit. We're not looking to do production work, as our primary line of business is screen printing and embroidery. Have any owners of 18" units regretted going small, or have you found 18" pretty much handles all of your engraving/cutting needs? Have any owners of 24" units found that maybe an 18" unit would have more than adequately filled your needs? The price difference between the two units in our case is about $4K.

Thanks for your input.

Shane Black
02-06-2013, 8:08 PM
I have an Epilog mini 24. It has a 12" x 24" bed in it. This has done most projects but I have had to turn down several because it is not large enough. So I figure I would get the biggest and most powerful one you can afford.
size= larger projects Power= jobs done faster

Gary Hair
02-06-2013, 9:00 PM
My GCC is 38 * 20 and I am thankful every day for that fact. The other thing I'm grateful for is that it is a pass through design. I can't tell you how many jobs I would have had to turn away if not for both of those features. Spend the money now and you won't have to re-spend later.

Gary

Tim Bateson
02-06-2013, 9:15 PM
If pricing is an issue, don't overlook used machines. I saved around 50% on a laser that was used maybe a dozen times. Granted you are not likely to find that good of a deal, there are some savings to be had.

Joe Pelonio
02-06-2013, 9:15 PM
I definitely recommend the larger size. I also have a 12x24 and can use a bigger one often, can't imagine trying to get by with anything smaller.

Braden Todd
02-06-2013, 11:31 PM
I bought a 24" for my first laser and within a year had to get a 36", would've been cheaper to go larger from the start. If you can swing bigger or more powerful it is worth it!

Kevin Hirata
02-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Scott Shepherd
02-07-2013, 8:21 AM
Think about material sizes too. Most engraving plastics come in 12" x 24" sheets (quarter sheet). So you'd have to open the box, cut 6" off the material just to get it to fit into a 12" x 18" machine. If you're not engraving that type of material, it wouldn't matter, but it deserves consideration.

Martin Boekers
02-07-2013, 10:19 AM
I am with Scott, material sizes would lead me to the 12x24.

Joe Hillmann
02-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Assuming you are not going with a Chinese machine I would suggest getting as big of an engraving area and as much power as you can afford. You can always do small projects in the big machine but you can't do big projects in the small machine. My biggest CO2 is 55 watts with a 18x32 bed and nearly every week I wish it was just a bit bigger or had just a bit more power.

If you are looking at a Chinese machine you may not want to get as much power as you can afford. It sounds like some of the imports have a problem with running at less than 10% power so are unable to do some delicate work, especially if it is over 100 watts. (I don't own a Chinese machine, what I know about them I learned second hand so my information may not be accurate on them.)

Roger Leiva
02-07-2013, 12:36 PM
I had a Mini 18X12 and I have a 24x18 Helix. Acquiring a laser machine is related to investment capacity and the need for it. If economic posibidades get a laser machine, it is best to be as large as possible to move it through the doors of the shop or office (eg 24x18) and the wattage as you can afford. If you buy a 18X12, with the highest laser power that it allows either a broader workbench that is not a limitation according to the needs. I feel good with a Helix 24x18, 60 watt.
Roger Leiva (CR) Helix 24, 60 Watt.