PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly saw from store to workshop?

Lewis Ehrhardt
02-06-2013, 5:58 PM
What does it take to get a grizzly saw from the store to my shop? I was told they're delievered by 18-wheeler? Driver's give no assistance. So, for those of you who have ordered one, what will I need to do? Thanks Lewis

Erik Loza
02-06-2013, 6:05 PM
Can't comment on your particular seller but I ship machines for a living and typically use what is referred to as "residential/liftgate" delivery for most residential customers. In those cases, the truck (could be big-rig, could be box truck, depends on the local terminal...) will have a liftgate and the driver is responsible for getting the crate off the truck and onto your curbside/driveway area. This is pretty standard for the machinery industry.

Did you specify anything like that with the logistics person you were working with, out of curiosity?

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Matt Day
02-06-2013, 6:15 PM
Lewis,

I think this topic, or something like "how do I move my TS into my basement" come up a few times a month. Do a search for "moving table saw" and you'll find more than you could ever want to know about moving table saws!

Congrats on the new saw!

scott spencer
02-06-2013, 6:24 PM
Every driver and every circumstance is different. The driver who delivered my Shop Fox saw hauled it on a pallet jack 75 feet into my garage, and he wouldn't accept a tip. They won't guarantee a lift gate unless you request one, but many of the trucks already have them and will use them to lower your saw to the curb for free. Your best bet is to have a pickup truck ready if you don't want to pay for a lift gate, but you might luck out.

Richard Coers
02-06-2013, 7:50 PM
What saw you are considering would sure help. "Grizzly saw" can have about a 1000 pound range. They do sell a lot of different saws. Then we have to know where your shop is. In the garage, in the basement, etc. Are you really buying it from one of their stores, or a distribution center via common carrier? I really don't think you could have been more vague Lewis.

glenn bradley
02-06-2013, 8:01 PM
I ordered it with liftgate service and the drivers brought each of my machines (not all Grizzly) right into the shop. There are plenty of stories about drivers that are "by the book" and they are probably the same guys who wonder why "the other guy" didn't get laid off instead of them :D:D:D.

Wade Lippman
02-06-2013, 8:48 PM
Having just had 5 400 pound tools delivered...
You have to request lift gate service. IIRC it was $35 extra.
The driver is only responsible for putting it in your driveway, but I have never had one refuse to put it in my garage, as long as it is level and unobstructed.

I paid a local moving company $185 to move them around the house and into my walkout basement.

Larry Browning
02-06-2013, 9:14 PM
I am having a Grizzly bandsaw delivered within the next day or 2. My shop is about 200-250 feet from the road with a gravel drive. I decided to pick it up at the terminal. My understanding is that if you tell them that, they will load into your pickup there for no added cost. I can then take it home and unload it into the shop myself and a couple burly friends. That is my plan. We will see how it works out.

Steve Kohn
02-06-2013, 9:19 PM
I've had 4 Grizzly machines delivered to my home. I've paid the extra money upfront and requested liftgate service. In all cases the driver brought the machine into my shop/garage without even being asked. For their trouble I offered each driver a $20 tip. Some took it and some didn't.

Chris Kennedy
02-06-2013, 9:52 PM
I have had several things delivered by freight -- a couple of machines (one Grizzly) and a play structure for the kid. I paid for lift-gate service on the Grizzly. One of the other machines was through Amazon. On both, while scheduling the delivery, the lift-gate was a limiting factor. They sent the truck with the lift-gate to my area only a couple of times a week. They were happy to send it out on a non lift-gate truck, but since I couldn't get a 300# machine off the back of a truck unless I had my four soon-to-be-ex-friends, it was kind of a moot point. It wasn't that the drivers weren't going to be helpful, but let's face it -- that's an injury waiting to happen.

That having been said, the freight companies have been good. I think that the drivers are more than willing to helpful provided they can. When I bought my Griz jointer, the driver loaded it onto the pallet jack and wheeled it into my garage without blinking. He saw that my shop is at the back of the property, and kindly explained that the pallet jack couldn't really navigate the yard. He also made certain that I had a plan to get it back there. Same thing with my lathe through Amazon. Same thing with the play structure.

Cheers,

Chris

Jim O'Dell
02-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Yes, definitely get the lift gate service. When I got my Grizzly G0691, the driver backed up to about 30 feet from the door to the shop (10' wide door) used a pallet jack to the lift gate, down, the rolled it on into the shop. Heck of a nice guy. We talked dogs for a bit as mine were in the back yard yelling at him to come play.:D It isn't worth the risk, or the hassle of having to wait another day or two or..., to gamble on whether it will or won't be delivered on a truck with a lift gate automatically. The pain of the 35 extra bucks will be forgotten before it is in the shop.
Now if you are asking more about how to get the saw into a basement shop, you best hire a moving company to help with that. If it's a walk out basement, you could probably slide it on piece of plywood and get close, but it would still be a big hassle. Jim.

George Bregar
02-07-2013, 7:22 AM
I've ordered a few things from Grizzly, last being a 15" planer. Their freight company to my neck of the woods is SAIA Motor Freight. Local guys are great, but the regional office you call to set things up is terrible. My first shipment from Grizzly I was pointed to SAIA because I needed to confirm the type of truck they would be using...no way a semi can get back to my property (lake home in northern WI). They insisted they would deliver on a stake body truck with lift. Delivery day....sure enough, on a semi. Which i was told by the driver is all they have. I had to have him meet me at a trailer rental place. Grizzly took some of the sting away with a $25 gift card.

Any pre-arrangement with SAIA is to be taken with a grain of salt. Of course they really don't care. Their customer is Grizzly, not you. I would hope my complaints to Grizz about their service would have effect, but I doubt it. Like I said, the drivers have been very accomodating, but SAIA itself sucks.

Since then I just have them meet me at the rental place. And don't get the lift gate service as my rental guy will unload/load right into the trailer with a fork lift.

Lewis Ehrhardt
02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the input. I'm in the "I don't need this, but want it stage." I'm going to get one of the 1023 models to replace my riving-knifeless Unisaw. The driver can pull up by my concreted driveway. It's a straight shot into my shop doors from there. I have one of those four wheel industrial carts to transport it and enough available muscle to get it safely off the cart and into its moveable "bed." I wasn't sure how they unloaded it off the truck, ramps or what? For me it seems the lift gate is the way to go.

Jim Rimmer
02-07-2013, 1:10 PM
I bought a Grizzly TS and a BS (not on the same order). One came UPS and one SAIA. No lift gate on either shipment but big rigs both times. The drivers were very helpful. I backed my pick up to the truck, we muscled the boxes into my pu and then I backed up to my garage and the drivers helped me muscle them to the ground.

Ronald Blue
02-07-2013, 11:26 PM
I ordered my dust collector and had it delivered to a work location with a fork truck available. The only complaint I have in the whole Grizzly experience was with SAIA. They called the day before to set the delivery up and then never showed. It was at a business and normal hours were 7-330. I called at 3 and asked where they were. They had an excuse about being delayed at a stop and were at least an hour and one half away. I may not have a choice but if I do they will not deliver any future purchases to me. A courtesy call would have been nice to let me know they weren't going to be there would have been nice.

eugene thomas
02-08-2013, 12:00 AM
i have found out over years usually seems to be the driver and their mood not company. back in 94 when started my tool buying adventures. had 1023tablesaw 8" jointer and 2hp dust collector delivered from grizzly, had basement shop with no lift gate. the driver helped me unload truck and get all the stuff into my basement shop.. imagine my suprise when few months later bought a 3hp shaper and driver showed up and told me my problem getting tool out of his truck....

John Barncord
02-08-2013, 6:24 AM
I have yet to find a machine that I couldn't move using a 5-ton come-along, engine hoist, and a couple 1000 lb capacity dollies. I managed to move my 1500 lb bandsaw from my old shop, to my car hauler, back off of the car hauler, through the den of my new house, and place it in the new basement shop. Admittedly it wasn't pretty . . . or efficient . . . or safe, but darn it it worked!!

Jim Andrew
02-08-2013, 8:32 AM
If you guys were talking about picking up machines at the store and moving them home, my tilt bed trailer does that job very well. I built it 5 x 9, and it has a pin in the front that I pull and then the back end pivots to the ground, so when I haul the lawn mower or atv I just back up and it pivots down and then when I drive it back on, the weight of the mower puts the trailer bed bad to road mode. As far as receiving a machine from a freight company, my skid steer does that very well. I bought the thing several years ago, and find it really gives my back a break. Have the fork attachment, and use it whenever I need to load or unload something heavy. I just drive it up to the back of the truck, snag the pallet, and drive it up to the door of my shop. Worked really well when I got the new shaper, the thing was up on 2 pallets, so I just put the forks under the table, raised it slightly, moved the pallets out of the way, put the movable base under it, and let it down on the base. If I had had friends to help unload it, they would have lifted it by the table, so can't imagine what damage that could cause. Anyway, works for me!

Kevin Womer
02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
The only machine I have ordered from grizzly was in 2003 a G0555 BS. It was from a secondary company called Overnight or some other name similar. I had a couple of friends help me lift it off of the truck, the driver said he would not get it down and was concerned only about how to get his truck out of the sub-division. It was a semi-truck and did not have a lift gate. I would have a couple of friends around and prepare for the worst, but you might get lucky and not need them. My SS was taken off with a small forklift and put into my shop and delivered for free but that was from a company called Keim Lumber relatively close to where I live. Expect a freight company hired by Grizzly and buy several beers for the friends who come to help you out.

Brent Ring
02-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I ordered it with liftgate service and the drivers brought each of my machines (not all Grizzly) right into the shop. There are plenty of stories about drivers that are "by the book" and they are probably the same guys who wonder why "the other guy" didn't get laid off instead of them :D:D:D.

This was my experience as well. Nice guy delivering mine!