PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a question

Larry Moore
02-06-2013, 4:57 PM
Hello, I'm new here, and looking for some opinions on lower priced table saws.

I have owned a Dewalt DW744 jobsite table saw for about 10 years or so. At the time a jobsite saw was the best choice for my needs. The saw has served its purpose well and seems to have lost none of its accuracy or power over the years. But I no longer actually need my table saw to be portable so am thinking of upgrading to the Ridgid R4512. I'm really not interested in more expensive alternatives at this time. Would this actually be a worthwhile upgrade in my case, or should I just continue to try to squeeze cabinet saw performance out of the Dewalt? I know if I did not already own the Dewalt that the Ridgid would be a better choice for my current needs. Just having the cast iron table top and considerably more "real estate" in front of the blade would be improvements.

Mike Heidrick
02-06-2013, 5:59 PM
Welcome. What is the price range you are looking at?

Roy Nielsen
02-06-2013, 7:08 PM
Larry,

Have you explored the idea of using a track saw setup instead of a table saw? After a year or so with Eurekazone products, I gave away my table saw. I know of at least a couple professional cabinet makers who sold all their table saws and use track saws exclusively.

Myk Rian
02-06-2013, 8:54 PM
A track saw is quite a bit off from a table saw. They're only useful for sheet goods.

Larry, have you considered building a nice base with drawers and extended side table for the saw you have? I've seen quite a few nice ones.

Andy Pratt
02-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Edit: As jim pointed out below I actually have the 4510, which is a lighter duty saw than the 4512 (I didn't realize the model #'s were so similar) so my comments below probably aren't that helpful. Now that I see the saw you are asking about I should say that I don't have any experience with this one, but that I would usually still opt for a used cabinet saw over a new hybrid.

Larry, I own a sawstop cabinet saw as well as the ridgid r4512 that you asked about. If you don't need any portability at all, the ridgid may not be your best value for your dollar. If you want a better saw than what you have while still retaining some portability (move it around the shop easily, no need for 220v, get it in a pickup by yourself) then the ridgid is probably a very sensible upgrade. I think the 4512 is the best combination of features and value in a jobsite portable saw, and is a top quality saw for the class it is in. When I compared them I found it was only rivaled by the bosch 4100, which doesn't have a blade height lock or a lifetime warranty and costs more. If a jobsite saw is the type of saw you want you probably can't go wrong with the ridgid (comes with a very good wheeled stand too). That being said, you're going to pay around $500 plus tax for one from home depot and for that money you can land yourself a decent used cabinet saw. With the economy the way it is, it's a good time to be buying used equipment. You will get far more functionality and ease of use from a used cabinet saw than you will from a brand new, top-end jobsite saw, unless portability is a concern.

Roy Nielsen
02-06-2013, 10:40 PM
I use mine for much more than sheet goods. I've cross cut, ripped, and diagonal cut dimensional boards, plastics, and aluminum.

A track saw is quite a bit off from a table saw. They're only useful for sheet goods.

Larry, have you considered building a nice base with drawers and extended side table for the saw you have? I've seen quite a few nice ones.

Jim O'Dell
02-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Andy, I think you are remembering the 4510 which is the jobsite saw on a rolling stand. The 4512 is the hybrid contractor saw with the hurc-u-lift mobility kit to make it mobile in the shop. Still not something you would want to try to get into a truck by yourself.
My HD doesn't have the 4512 on display any longer. Just in a box with the picture. There is a Craftsman version of it that is a few dollars more and without the LSA (Lifetime Service Agreement). I have the original Ridgid contactor saw with the webbed cast iron extensions that actually had the lifetime warranty. It was such a great little saw I couldn't force myself to sell it when I got my cabinet saw 2 years ago. It mostly collects dust right now and helps out on occasion as an outfeed table when cutting sheet goods, but will one day be set up for cutting dados. I'd give it a thumbs up. I have never heard a bad word on any of the Ridgid table saws. Jim.

Larry Moore
02-07-2013, 9:32 AM
Thanks, for the replies everybody.

Back 10 years ago when I got my Dewalt 744 I was a full time RV'er managing a campground and my shop was one of those 10' x 20' carport tents. My old cast iron Craftsman "Professional" contractor's saw was not well adapted to the situation. As soon as I learned of them I got a Bosch "gravity rise" stand for it as well. It is a great combination and I have absolutely no complaint about this saw and stand combination for a portable saw. If it were a new jobsite saw that I needed, I would have to look very closely at the current Dewalt 744X before even considering anything else. The rack and pinion fence has been absolutely accurate and reliable from day one, it has plenty of power and maintains alignment well. If the new Dewalts are anything like this old saw they are definitely worth their salt.

I always cut large panels down to manageable size outside with with a skill saw, usually using a straight edge. A track saw would be quite welcome there, but with number of such cuts that I make in a year would be pure luxury and not a significant time/labor saver. A track saw is a luxury that is probably not in my future.

I have noticed that these days people often recommend good used equipment rather than the lower quality new "stuff". I would certainly be willing to spend my $500 on a used cabinet saw if I could find such an animal around here. But I am not driving over a hundred miles to pick one up and hope to never spend time and money repairing shipping damaged equipment again. Where are these used saws?

The Ridgid hybrid saw seems to get decent reviews. It has enough table in front of the blade to allow effective use of a feather board (something my Dewalt lacks). As a heavier belt drive saw it should run quieter and have less vibration (though vibration on the Dewalt has not been objectionable). I can run it on 240 volts which will help balance the load and decrease voltage drop on the 70 feet of #6 copper that powers my shed.

I already have a good saw, but some of its strong points as a portable are contradictory to what I would really like to have in my shop saw. Fully expanded the Dewalt takes up almost exactly the same amount of space in my very small shop as the Ridgid R4512 would.

Myk Rian
02-07-2013, 10:27 AM
I have noticed that these days people often recommend good used equipment rather than the lower quality new "stuff". I would certainly be willing to spend my $500 on a used cabinet saw if I could find such an animal around here. But I am not driving over a hundred miles to pick one up and hope to never spend time and money repairing shipping damaged equipment again. Where are these used saws?
Where are you?

Jim O'Dell
02-07-2013, 3:45 PM
I'm not Larry, but Kerrville is about 75 miles, give or take, northwest of San Antonio on I-10. Jim.

Larry Moore
02-07-2013, 4:21 PM
That's mighty close. I'm about 55 miles from San Antonio and about 95 miles from Austin (I prefer not to go there).

Myk Rian
02-07-2013, 5:54 PM
Start here.
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/search/tla?zoomToPosting=&altView=&query=saw&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Larry Moore
02-07-2013, 9:38 PM
I have checked that quite regularly for the last few months. If I missed the $500 cabinet saw, please, point it out to me.

Harry Hagan
02-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Larry,

When I joined the local woodworking club several years ago, the club president told me to never buy new equipment. Lots of guys retire, think they’d like to go into woodworking, buy a lot of really nice equipment—and rarely use it. When they pass on, the wives usually let it go at a bargain. He said his best resource for finding woodworking equipment was auctions.

My first table saw was a Ridgid from HD and it didn’t have enough power. I sold that when I found a good deal on a slightly used Powermatic 66.

Gene Zierdt
02-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I have the previous version of the 4512, the 3650. I also have a cabinet saw (still in my previous house in a locked garage- too big for my present workshop). I find the 3650 is
very well made, with an accurate fence as purchased. The mitre guage is not as well made, so I have a JDS Accu-Miter. With that setup, I find accuracy is very comparable to
my cabinet saw. I does not have the horsepower to make heavy cuts like the cabinet saw, but that's the main difference. The Accu-Miter has gotten pretty expensive, but there
are now comparable ones for much less.

Larry Moore
02-08-2013, 9:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to continue on with the Dewalt job site saw until the time comes that I can or am willing to commit to spending enough to make a significant difference. I am now convinced that my current budget could be better applied to other shop improvements. When/if the time comes that I can afford a "real" table saw I will again consider the upgrade.

Next on the list is converting one of the shop doors to a Dutch door (at or below work surface height) and improving the lighting, especially over the main wood/leather working bench.

Jim O'Dell
02-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Not a bad decision. It will also give you time to watch the paper, Craigs List, estate sales and auctions for a possible used saw. You can be picky since you don't have a deadline! Jim.