PDA

View Full Version : Balcony / Library Ladder that can be stored in a horizontal position.

Jerry Hillenburg
02-06-2013, 3:52 PM
This is what I call a "balcony ladder". It is similar to the library ladders of old.

The hinge is made from 2" brass rail parts. The steps are held in place with 1/4" solid brass dowel that is threaded on the ends and fastened by brass acorn nuts with a solid brass knob backplate as the washer.

The ladder legs are 5/4" popular that have been band sawn to create the bow. The steps are mortised into the legs.

When not in use, a piano hinged shelf on the opposite wall flips up, and after the ladder is above it, drops down to support the ladder for horizontal storage. When people see it in this position the "Wow Factor" kicks in big time. A pulley system could be constructed using 1/4" sash cord and pulleys to support it from the ceiling instead of using a shelf.

The braces below 3 of the steps are intended to minimize racking - 3 sets seems to be the optinum number. They are not nesessariy meant to support weight - although they do.

Please note this is a repost of a reply I made to a post in General Woodworking and Power Tools - I felt it more appropriate in Woodworking Projects.

Josef Booyens
02-06-2013, 4:06 PM
I love it.
It could be just me, but it makes me think of modern sail boats.
Don't ask why, I know not.

Beautiful.

Gus Dundon
02-06-2013, 4:44 PM
Striking! That is spectacular.

Thomas Bank
02-06-2013, 4:49 PM
I must be missing something obvious, but how does the ladder "get past" the shelf to put it up there?

And is there a reason that only three of the steps have braces?

Beautiful idea! I do like it!

Sam Murdoch
02-06-2013, 5:35 PM
Very pretty - a little weird with the hanging off the other wall :) but that doesn't detract - it's a great piece of work.

Mark Valsi
02-06-2013, 6:08 PM
Nice work indeed.

Jerry Hillenburg
02-06-2013, 7:18 PM
I must be missing something obvious, but how does the ladder "get past" the shelf to put it up there?

And is there a reason that only three of the steps have braces?

Beautiful idea! I do like it!

Thomas, I modified the post to better answer your questions - thanks for asking them.

Kamil Czuba
02-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Very nice. It's too bad that whoever walks into that room through the door will have bad luck! lol

Thomas Bank
02-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Thomas, I modified the post to better answer your questions - thanks for asking them.

Ok, I knew I was missing something there. :) I believe I can see a joint along the back of the shelf? So the front swings up and the back inch or so remains in place.

Jerry Hillenburg
02-07-2013, 8:44 AM
Ok, I knew I was missing something there. :) I believe I can see a joint along the back of the shelf? So the front swings up and the back inch or so remains in place.

Thomas, that is correct. You are seeing the joint on the edge of the shelf. The back 1 1/4" of the shelf is fastened to the shelf bracket and the rest of the shelf swings up via a piano hinge.

http://www.zoominto.com/zoomapi/ZoomButt.gif

Jim Becker
02-07-2013, 5:11 PM
Kewel idea and really interesting execution. The curve is very elegant whether it's down for use or propped up for "storage".

Floyd Cox
02-08-2013, 4:23 AM
I really like the curves and the hardware really meshes nicely

Andrew Joiner
03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Clever design. Excellent craftsmanship. I've built several loft ladders over the years. None as nice as this!

Jerry Hillenburg
03-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Andrew, thanks for the nice complement.

Russ Flagg
03-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Very cool! I'm thinking of building something similar to replace my way ugly cabin pull down stairs to the loft. How long was the build?

Jerry Hillenburg
03-08-2013, 1:05 PM
Thanks Russ for the nice comment. The ladder legs are 111 1/2" long.

John Michaels
03-08-2013, 9:50 PM
Love the shape! Very cool idea, great job!

Phil Thien
03-22-2013, 7:50 PM
I agree that it seems to have a sort of nautical look when it is held up on the shelf. Outstanding work!

BTW, I've never seen that many light switches on one wall like that?

Jerry Hillenburg
03-22-2013, 8:11 PM
I agree that it seems to have a sort of nautical look when it is held up on the shelf. Outstanding work!

BTW, I've never seen that many light switches on one wall like that?

Phil, Thanks for your comment. You are right, that is a lot of light switches! All those pictures were taken in the office at my shop. I am retired now, but when I was operating the shop commercially, I had a kitchen display in the room and all those switches controlled an array lighting for demonstration purposes. Check out my shop on the professional woodworking site woodweb.com at http://www.woodweb.com/galleries/shop/posts/1425.html

Phil Thien
03-22-2013, 8:31 PM
Great shop tour, thanks for sharing that Jerry!