PDA

View Full Version : wood movement

John Piwaron
02-06-2013, 3:05 PM
I noticed an odd (to me) thing the other day. I checked the moisture content of some boards I'd brought home and noted that they were pretty dry. I guess they must have left the kiln not too long ago.

Then I checked some boards I had in the shop for a while. Years in fact. And the top of my bench. That's hard maple. All of the wood that's already there has a higher moisture content than these new boards. Huh. But it does explain why they'll move if I were to joint and plane them right away. They're not drying out in my shop, they're getting re-wetted to some degree. :)

Rod Sheridan
02-06-2013, 3:29 PM
Yes John, the new boards will expand slightly with increased moisture content.

You should let them come to equilibrium with your shop before you begin to machine them............Regards, Rod.

John Piwaron
02-06-2013, 5:42 PM
Yup. What I found to be interesting is how dry they were. I know to leave them to equalize, but I had expected that they'd be drying out, not picking up moisture.

Myk Rian
02-06-2013, 8:56 PM
What's the weather been like lately?

Howard Acheson
02-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Not surprising and readily explainable. The newly purchased boards may well have recently left the drier. Kilns will generally dry wood to about 4-6 Equilibrium Moisture Content (EMC). Your shop may well be at a higher relative humidity so the wood that you have had for a while has become equalized to the more moist conditions.

Stack and sticker your newly purchased lumber for 3-4 weeks and check it again. It should equalize and end up at the same EMC as the older wood.