PDA

View Full Version : Blotchy Cherry

Jim Knauss
05-03-2005, 4:37 AM
Anyone ever have this happen? I've heard of Cheery blotching when you stain it, but how bought when you SAND it? What happened was I moved my project into the house for the Winter months as it is to cold in the shop in the dead of Winter to work. Stored it upstairs and I think it aged ( turned darker ). Got it out this spring to finish it up and had to scrape and final sand. It got all blotchy looking which I assume is from removing some of the darker wood. There was no way to get it even. So all I can hope for is it will even out in time. Any one see this befor? Only my second time using Cherry and maybe my last.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Jim Knauss

John Hart
05-03-2005, 7:41 AM
I'd be interested to see a picture of this phenomenon :confused:

Jim Becker
05-03-2005, 9:56 AM
Don't worry about it. The wood will oxidize and turn the same color...that only happens at the surface and by sanding, you exposed "fresh" wood. It's not a phenomenon and you can experience the same thing with many species that oxidize and/or are effected by UV. You generally don't notice this because you build your projects from wood all milled pretty much at the same time. And as I indicated...it's not limited to cherry. Pine will do it. Maple will do it. Etc.

"Blotch" is a state of mind. It most often refers to the way that figure in wood unevenly absorbs coloration, both from pigments and from oil. Some of us love it 'cause it's what the figure looks like. Others hate it with a passion and will do anything to avoid it, including sealing followed by applying color on the surface of the sealer, AKA a glaze. ("Gel stains" qualify in that respect, too, since they generally sit on the surface like paint)

John Hart
05-03-2005, 10:31 AM
That's pretty interesting Jim. I've seen the blotch on pine and avoided it..but you're saying it'll go away. That's pretty cool.

Jim Becker
05-03-2005, 10:38 AM
John, Ithe "blotch" that resulted from sanding will "go away". This is different than uneven oil or color absorbtion in figure which stays.

John Hart
05-03-2005, 10:44 AM
John, Ithe "blotch" that resulted from sanding will "go away". This is different than uneven oil or color absorbtion in figure which stays.

Ok...I get it now. I need to read slower. Or multitask less. Or take a vacation.:rolleyes:

Thanks much

Jim Knauss
05-03-2005, 5:13 PM
Thanks Jim,
I was hoping someone would say it would go away!
Jim Knauss

Bill Arnold
05-07-2005, 3:50 PM
Thanks Jim,
I was hoping someone would say it would go away!
Jim Knauss
One of the many joys of living down here (Florida) is being able to 'cure' cherry in my driveway. The natural 'blotchiness' of cherry can be subdued substantially with a day or so under the Sun.