PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Lathe Upgrade Question

Gene Hintze
02-06-2013, 11:10 AM
I currently turn on a Delta 46-460 and it is a very nice lathe although the forward/reverse switch is starting to get a bit hinky. I would like a bit more capacity to turn larger salad bowls and platters though. There is a gentleman in the area who has a Nova 3000 with the outboard tool rest for $900. The Nova does not come with the leg set so I would bolt it to the workbench (massive and heavy) that my 46-460 is currently bolted to. Both the Nova and the 46-460 have 1 h.p. motors. I realize this would be a downgrade in features (variable speed) but an upgrade in capacity. Since the 46-460 is selling for $699 now I figured I could sell mine for $500 pretty easily. He is willing to dicker on price and I think I can get it for $700 if I throw in this big honkin maple burl I have. So the question is is it worth $200 to get more capacity while sacrificing the variable speed feature? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Michelle Rich
02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Gene, we all have different needs in lathes. Some are just plain preferences. I have turned on a nova for 20+ yrs and changing belt speeds is not an issue for me. Apparantly for others it is make or break. Only you know what kind of turner you are. Remember, a lathe is just a machine to turn wood, round and around. Everything else is bells & whistles.

Scott Hackler
02-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Gene, that does NOT sound like that great of a deal to me. The Nova 3000 is an older model that the 1624-44 replaced. The Nova 1624-44 is on sale faily regular for $899. That includes a leg set and it's a newer design. That is the lathe I have and use. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $500 for a Nova 3000 without legs and no gimmes in the deal, but that is me. When I bought my 1624, 3 years ago I gave $799 with free shipping. Granted they don't come with the outboard rest attachment but a 15 1/2" platter bowl is fairly large and you can do that right over the ways of a 1624-44. Not to meantion the fact that you can rotate the headstock 45* and gain easier access to one side of a turning.

Don't let the size of the Nova 1624 fool you, I have turned blocks of green wood that I could barely hold up to screw on the face plate. You will want a ballast box if you do many of these. I haven't made one yet and just turn slow until round. The belt change is a little of a pain but I can do it in less than 8 seconds now ....so..it's more a luxury. Don't get me wrong, I wish I had VS...but I am still using this belt driven lathe after 3 years so.....

Just an opinion...and it was free! :)

Thom Sturgill
02-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I just posted on another thread. If you go to the nova site (http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-NOVA-1624-44-Wood-Turning-Lathe-24146-R.htm) where they sell refurbished items, there is a refurbished 1624 for $950. That is a 1 1/2hp lathe.

Scott Hackler
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
But keep in mind that the usual "sale" price for the 1624 from WoodCraft and others is $899 shipped if you wanted a new one. You would just have to wait for the sale. They usually put those on sale 3 times or so a year.

Nathan Clark
02-06-2013, 1:12 PM
I have been told that those sales are a thing of the past. With the rising price of ore etc, don't expect them to go on sale for less than $1,100.00.