PDA

View Full Version : Reversing and crossing volutes

Michelle Rich
02-06-2013, 9:42 AM
another of my signature negative space designs. this one is bleached. Copper center about 10 inches in diameter

Tim Rinehart
02-06-2013, 9:46 AM
Beautiful and striking in that whiteness! The copper center really adds a bit of interest and focus to it. Cool!!

Richard Madden
02-06-2013, 9:49 AM
Another fine looking piece, Michelle. Thanks for sharing.

Dan Hintz
02-06-2013, 9:52 AM
I really like the copper centers. My one criticism would be the mix of sharp and round edges in the middle of the piece... where the router bit changes direction, I would hand cut the outer corner to make it square like the inner corner. Other than that, I really like the piece.

Michelle Rich
02-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Your assesment is incorrect, Dan. But I understand you dislike the "circles" If I disliked them, I would rasp them out. But I like them, so they stay.

Thom Sturgill
02-06-2013, 10:15 AM
My first impression would have agreed with Dan, but then I saw the unexpected series of circles formed where the front and back reversals occur. Nice! If you had cut them square they would have been just another set of spaces, now they are special.

Scott Hackler
02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Mick, this is a winner! I really like the bleached wood and expecially the copper center. It all came together well in this one. One thing that struck me is the same as Thom, the intentional of unintentional round corners where the router switched directions...WORKS! Straight on I really liked it when my eye scanned the piece and found the small circle patterns created by that.

Nice work.

Michelle Rich
02-06-2013, 10:53 AM
hi Scott: yep, I like the look too as the points "point" to the circles. It just gives the piece another point of interest..it takes some of the rigidity out of it. Geos are so hard to do. The eyes see any "error" or discrepancy. I wanted folks eyes to go to the circles, and points.

charlie knighton
02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
looks like an et to me, going other worldly Michelle? very nice
spiders only have 8 legs......

Gene Hintze
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
I have no idea how you do these things but they are really cool.

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Really a beauty Michelle. I like the copper highlight in the middle.

Michelle Rich
02-06-2013, 11:18 AM
charlie :-) I've always traveled a different path, & maybe I can time warp to another world? :-) It sure would give me new ideas for my pieces!!

Eric Gourieux
02-06-2013, 1:49 PM
I like it. I agree that the bleached wood/copper are a nice combo. Your designes are really neat.

Dan Hintz
02-06-2013, 2:15 PM
Your assesment is incorrect, Dan.

I've had plenty of people tell me my facts were wrong... can't say anyone has ever told me my opinion was. :confused:

Michelle Rich
02-06-2013, 4:31 PM
didn't say your opinion was...I said your assesment of my methods was. Your opinion about the circles was ok, as I said. I had a design that I wanted circles there & I put them there with a drill..it also helped index the piece. So there was a reason to my art eye to have it as it is..if your art eye dislikes it, then that is an opinion.

Baxter Smith
02-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Great effect Michele. For some reason I started wondering what effect different colored dyes would have on the different layers. Then I thought what about laminating different woods together. Lots of creative possibilities for someone with talent and vision.:)

Bob Bergstrom
02-07-2013, 11:59 AM
A real study in design. I keep looking at the many flowing lines and shapes apparent and subtle. It becomes a little bit of a puzzle or game to where you eyes will lead you. You can look at the surface or delve into the inner dimensions and negative space. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle Rich
02-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Baxter: don't give me any more ideas..I already have too many in my head now!:eek:

Jason Ritchie
02-08-2013, 11:24 AM
This is a really cool piece Michelle!