PDA

View Full Version : Re-use of HSS drill bits

Brian Finney
02-06-2013, 9:41 AM
I have some surplus HSS drill bits upto 10mm (3/8in) – looking for ideas on what they can adapted to for re-use – seems a shame to dump HSS.

Brian

Tim Rinehart
02-06-2013, 9:49 AM
Resharpening out of question?? If you are a fan of hollowing, take a look at what Jeff Nicol, a Creeker, does with his bits under "special tools". http://www.woodennicol.com/tools.html

Dennis Ford
02-06-2013, 9:52 AM
They make good boring bars (Oland tool?). Drill a hole in a steel bar and put the drill bit in the hole; use a set screw or just glue it in with CA. I have used broken drill bits for this, they work as good as square tool bits and are easier to fit into a hole.

Greg Ketell
02-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Cut the flutes off and you have a couple of inches of good HSS that can be shaped, sharpened, and brazed onto other bars to make your own hollowing tools.

Dale Miner
02-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Most standard length HSS drill bits are hardened in the flute section, and are annealed in the shank. This is done so that the jaws of the chuck can grip the bit better. When the drill bit spins in the chuck, a bit that has been annealed in the shank section will usually get scored or galled where the jaws have spun. Jobber length bits are shorter, and are usually hardened full length, and the shank section of them can be used for cutting tools.

Brian Finney
02-06-2013, 3:40 PM
Thanks for the replies and sharing the expertise – looks likehollowing tools is the answer.
Brian

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-06-2013, 6:21 PM
Run the fluted end into a handle up to the shank. Then grind the shank end into a skew. Round skews in the 1/4" to 3/8" are very handy.

Brian Finney
02-07-2013, 4:01 PM
Thanks Joe,

Nice idea, I'll give it a go

Brian